Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can always use calibre server, on any device with any app. You can go to it from the browser and open books in any supported apps.

The purpose of Calibre Companion is different. Not only does it allow you to connect wirelessly as a device and store books, it allows you to have endless sorting and search functionality equal to calibre itself, and control all your books in every format from one central location.

Not everyone needs that, of course. If so, OPDS feeds should suffice admirably. (Barring the need for a constantly running server, and a lack of connectivity everywhere...)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
ecoolman
ecoolman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can always use calibre server, on any device with any app. You can go to it from the browser and open books in any supported apps.
While you can browse your collection with mobile web on IOS, it fails to download any books (at least for me, it's never worked), so that's not an option on the IPad.

Quote:
The purpose of Calibre Companion is different. Not only does it allow you to connect wirelessly as a device and store books, it allows you to have endless sorting and search functionality equal to calibre itself, and control all your books in every format from one central location.
For me, while I love that Calibre Companion has helped me move books from Calibre to the device easily on Android up until now, I've always considered it redundant when used with Mantano. When you connect to Content Server in CC, you get the exact same view as in the OPDS feed, no sorting, searching, etc. You only get those features when you download the content to the CC catalog, then you click a book, and it gets loaded again into Mantano's library, which is where you get all those same sorting and searching features that CC has. In this scenario you are maintaining 3 catalogs needlessly.

Quote:
Not everyone needs that, of course. If so, OPDS feeds should suffice admirably. (Barring the need for a constantly running server, and a lack of connectivity everywhere...)
With the feeds, you don't need a constantly running server any more than you would with CC... once you select the book from the feed, it gets loaded into Mantano's library and you're good to disconnect, no middleman.
ecoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoolman View Post
While you can browse your collection with mobile web on IOS, it fails to download any books (at least for me, it's never worked), so that's not an option on the IPad.
Odd. Is this a problem with Safari specifically?

Quote:
For me, while I love that Calibre Companion has helped me move books from Calibre to the device easily on Android up until now, I've always considered it redundant when used with Mantano. When you connect to Content Server in CC, you get the exact same view as in the OPDS feed, no sorting, searching, etc. You only get those features when you download the content to the CC catalog, then you click a book, and it gets loaded again into Mantano's library, which is where you get all those same sorting and searching features that CC has. In this scenario you are maintaining 3 catalogs needlessly.
If all you need CC for is to move books to your Android, then OPDS can indeed duplicate that effect. CC has a greater scope for metadata integration with calibre and searching, which is where its main use comes from.

Quote:
With the feeds, you don't need a constantly running server any more than you would with CC... once you select the book from the feed, it gets loaded into Mantano's library and you're good to disconnect, no middleman.
True. You could always download all the books into Mantano. But then you don't need OPDS either, do you?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoolman View Post
It works fine here (iPad3)

You should have a small "Get" button below the cover graphic for whichever book you are trying to download.

Safari is most definitely not the problem, but maybe worth trying a different browser? [edit] Or not, I just tried with Mercury, and I cannot download. Not in the regular area or in the mobile one.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-01-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: addit info.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote