Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #5026
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Yes! BACON!!!!

No! I'm guessing there is no bacon involved in this. Well, erm....I mean......
Bacon, Pup-Peroni, and all the Milk-Bones you can eat.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #5027
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Bacon, Pup-Peroni, and all the Milk-Bones you can eat.
Pimp Alert!!!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #5028
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Yes! BACON!!!!

No! I'm guessing there is no bacon involved in this. Well, erm....I mean......
We have an idiom "Makin' Bacon", which is a euphamism for that proposed activity. So depending on whether your language has such an idiom, bacon COULD be involved.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #5029
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Now there's a gripe worthy of the Vent and Rant thread. I freaked when I first heard the Pink Panther talking, and Tom and Jerry's vocalizations are certainly no improvement over the classics. Now I understand Disney's Tinkerbell has started running off at the mouth. This just ain't right; no way, no how. It's a sure sign if ever there was one of the decline of Western civilization.
I'm not sure if Tinkerbell's speaking indicates that the character is still not silent. The impression I've gotten from the CGI movies is that she speaks words only to other fairies, and non-fairies hear her speech as the tinkling. On the other hand, if everyone starts hearing Tinkerbell speaking words...

Sometimes a voice is a key component to a character and what is surprising is how often a voice actor can alter their voices for different characters within the same program. One great example of this in the English dub for the anime series "Bleach." Kyle Hebert does two voices (Ganju Shiiba and Sosuke Aizen) that are about as far apart as you can get and I was surprised to find out the same person did both voices.

Another example of this is in "My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic." One of the surprises is in the voice cast. I've heard them in other roles in other shows and its surprising how different they sound in this show. An example is Nicole Oliver, the voice actor for Princess Celestia. She first came to my attention in the English dub of "Key The Metal Idol" as Key and it's about the least emotional role that I've ever heard. Another example is Cathy Weseluck. See the following:

As Spike:

As Shampoo:
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #5030
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My grandson has just discovered Chuck Norris jokes. He says there are 60,000 of them online. Evidently he wants to read me every one of them to me from his Fire. My only solace at this juncture is in the knowledge that sooner or later his battery will die.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #5031
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some say that music today is not as good as the music of the past. I disagree.

I think a factor in this is that as time passes, only the best of past music is commonly remembered. With newer music, both the good and bad are in the public's mind.

I think it is likely that for every great song of the past, there are likely hundreds that are forgotten. In a few years it's likely to be the same now, where a few good/great songs are remembered and the rest drop out of the public's consciousness.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 10-04-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Straightened out badly written sentence.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #5032
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #5033
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally got to see the two latest seasons of Doctor Who. Previously I was unable to because of the move to the BBCA, which my cable provider doesn't offer as a standard channel, but now that I have Amazon Prime I am able to watch all the episodes online in glorious HD.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #5034
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

One thing I enjoy in a story when it takes you in a direction that takes you completely by surprise.

The following contains a slight potential spoiler, therefore it's in spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
An example of this is in the anime series "Bleach." At one point in the story, there is an event that happens that is so completely surprising because it is so shocking. Then, within the course of a few episodes, much of what you thought you knew has been completely upended.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #5035
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
It cooled off here slightly yesterday (finally). Does that make this post is off-tropic? Does anybody know the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa? Or D. B. Cooper? What if we put GPS devices in socks before we put them in the tumble dryer? Would we be able to locate alternate universes that way?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #5036
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

I think the day that the uncanny valley (where a CGI character can't be distinguished from a live star) will be crossed is approaching. When that occurs, will we be able to see the stars of the past return?

Could there be a new western featuring John Wayne, Jack Palance, Gary Cooper, and Clint Eastwood, each of them at their physical prime? How about a new comedy featuring Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges together?

Last edited by Solitaire1; 10-01-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #5037
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
It cooled off here slightly yesterday (finally). Does that make this post is off-tropic? Does anybody know the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa? Or D. B. Cooper? What if we put GPS devices in socks before we put them in the tumble dryer? Would we be able to locate alternate universes that way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I think the day that the uncanny valley (where a CGI character can't be distinguished from a live star) will be crossed is approaching. When that occurs, will we be able to see the stars of the past return?

Could there be a new western featuring John Wayne, Jack Palance, Gary Cooper, and Clint Eastwood, each of them at their physical prime? How about a new comedy featuring Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges together?
I think the day of the CGI star is here; it's just still too expensive to cast one in an entire movie—yet. I've seen commercials with old stars in them, so it's just a matter pf time until an entire movie is made. Legal claims of the surviving family mambers may be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

As for Jimmy and my old friend D.B.; we had lunch together just this week with Elvis—but keep that under your hats.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #5038
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

And keep in mind that a CGI character still needs a voice actor.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #5039
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
And keep in mind that a CGI character still needs a voice actor.
Some of the computer speech programs are getting pretty sophisticated. That function will also be capable of being performed by silicone in the near future.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #5040
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
If all actors are replaced by CGI characters what will happen to the paparazzi?
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
man boobs, skippy the bush kangaroo, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness