Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Does SD card make reader crash?

I have a 2gb Sandisk SD card which is well-loaded with books. (I love ebook "shopping" but my pc has limited hard drive space.)

Is it just coincidence that the reader seems to crash more often when the SD card is inserted? Could this be caused by the fact that I keep peeking at the books-to-read and zooming? Some of them have that spinny thing twirling for ages while reformatting to a larger font.

Too many books or bad habits? I hate resetting, losing bookmarks etc.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What is "well-loaded"? How many books?

ps. I do have better experiences with Sony MS by the way. Also in battery time (I think) but that might just be my perception.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You make that sound rude. I meant that it has approx 50 books on it, some of which are several mbites big.

By Sony MS, do you mean books bought from the Sony site?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
By Sony MS, do you mean books bought from the Sony site?
Sony MemoryStick
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
You make that sound rude. I meant that it has approx 50 books on it, some of which are several mbites big. By Sony MS, do you mean books bought from the Sony site?
I certainly didn't intent to sound rude; I was merely trying to establish what you mean with a vague term like well-loaded. I have about 500 books in internal memory and lots of files on MemoryStick (MS) (about 1000) and no problems with the reader.

So no, I do not think the cause of your problems is the amount of books.

Quote:
Some of them have that spinny thing twirling for ages while reformatting to a larger font.
If it is a large book (several MB) this might take a while, reformatting thousands of pages takes a long time. If you just let the reader do its thing, it will eventually 'recover', that is, become responsive again. Note that the 'spinny thing' is not a sign of a crash; if the reader spontaneously reboots or is stuck for hours that would be.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J

Thanks, that's very helpful, acidzebra. I had a little giggle about the "well-loaded" innuendo. Big fan of Carry On films.

I do worry when that thing starts spinning. Thanks for the reassurance.

Tags
sd card, zoom