Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you plan to keep or return your kobo vox?
I'm keeping it. 42 67.74%
I'm returning it for a refund. 12 19.35%
I haven't decided yet. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Are you keeping your vox or returning it?

I can see there are some people expressing frustration so I'm curious if you plan to keep your kobo vox or return it for a refund?
Please leave a comment.....thanks.
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Keeping the one I have for now, as I got it working the way I wanted by getting rid of all the Inq widgets (the FB ones) and the girl at Chapters says there's supposed to be a new firmware update next week.

Hope that is both true, and will fix some of the freeze issues.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
I haven't decided yet. I love it as a reader, but the lack of google app is a big downside, they all work on the google framework... that the kobo don't have.

I will decide to keep it or not by seeing the nook 2 the 7th of November and maybe also seeing progress with the modding of the vox.

I was able to root it, now need to see if it's possible to install a recovery mode and install the google app with it.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I'm keeping it; despite the drawbacks, it will still do what I was expecting it to do. However, unlike the previous kobo's, it'll probably be the only one we buy this time.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Keeping mine. Does what I want - read colour books, read comics, and play the occasional game like angry birds. The kids have been using it more them me but I have started to get through the back issues of The Walking Dead on it and it works great.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I'm loving it Not perfect, but pretty good and does everything I was hoping to do, with some pleasant surprises.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'm loving it Not perfect, but pretty good and does everything I was hoping to do, with some pleasant surprises.
My sentiments exactly. My only issue so far is that I can't seem to get borrowed wma audio files to work through Overdrive, and I was really hoping to listen to borrowed audio books on this. The youtube problem is being looked at by the developers right now as I type this (thanks to Darrell!), so we'll see how things progress!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Same for me
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
I'm returning it. The unit I got had light bleed, and the bezel wasn't seated properly. Also, the software doesn't support collections. I might repurchase if Kobo decides to match the iOS app in terms of customization. Until them I'll just use my ipad, or Kindle.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Keeping it. I can read in sunlight, I don't care about customizing my bookshelf (its a bookshelf for Heaven's sake), do like the amount of apps and market I've found. Youtube is being fixed and hopefully I'll be able to use Netflix soon. I find the text crisp and love the fact that I can have all my Kindle books on the Vox as well (Kindle app DOES have sepia, not quite sure why the main kobo library doesn't have that option). Haven't tried books on tape yet, but can report that plugging in headphones is great, sound is crisp and full (youtube worked that time).
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I quite like it. I won't necessarily be using it as a reader a lot but I can sure see myself doing some web browsing and such while in my LazyBoy.

(Hmmm, now that I have networking running to my PCs I wonder if there is an RDP client so I can monitor my PCs from the LazyBoy? Nah, I'm being an idiot. My old laptop is right there for such purposes. Still... )
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I returned mine. I felt that although it looked nice it wasn't very good at anything and was very buggy and prone to locking up. I didn't want to have to live for the "next update" hoping that would finally fix the thing. As a reader, although I liked the color, when I opened epubs with pictures in the book, often many pictures would not display, leaving a blank spot. These epusb would always display properly on my Touch.
In the end, all the Vox did was push me toward paying the extra $$ and buying an iPad which at least works smoothly. I wasn't an apple fan (but the product works) and I didn't want to live with a frustrating device like the Vox just because it was cheap. I'm happy with my Touch though.
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I exchanged the first Vox I had because it needed a hard reset when in sleep mode. My new machine works perfectly so I am definitely keeping it!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm keeping mine. The more I use it the more I like it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I quite like it. I won't necessarily be using it as a reader a lot but I can sure see myself doing some web browsing and such while in my LazyBoy.

(Hmmm, now that I have networking running to my PCs I wonder if there is an RDP client so I can monitor my PCs from the LazyBoy? Nah, I'm being an idiot. My old laptop is right there for such purposes. Still... )
actually the RDP client that was included with the Asus eee pad is really cool; for anything she isn't able to do on her pad when she's upstairs, she can easily just log into her desktop box and do it from there.

with the screen being so small on the vox, I couldn't see this being too practical
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote