Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #481
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Why would that be? If we were actually using tags in any meaningful way, we'd have used the "Manage tags" feature to ensure we didn't have dozens of tags representing the same thing, and the "Delete" feature to ensure that the pointless ones were done away with.
The default behaviour with calibre is to pull metadata tags from books added, and to download tags from google. *Both* of which actions will result in the hodge podge of tags that most peoples libraries become "infected" with. Some users like it that way, others don't but don't know what to do about it, and an even smaller subset is bothered to clean them up, recognise why they are being added and take remedial action to prevent it in future. Which is why I don't see "all tags" as an acceptable default behaviour. And yes I understand it was an attempt to reduce the work involved, but those are the reasons why I am not willing to implement it that way.
Quote:
Wow. I'm sure I must have done something to deserve that! I apologized for upsetting you, for heavens sake! I honestly did think you seemed to be having a problem - you've pointed out more than once that you don't use GR shelves, after all.
No less than three times in a row you have stated that I "don't understand goodreads shelves". Once I just ignored, twice irritated, and three times just pisses me off as being completely disrespectful. Yes two years ago when I first wrote this plugin I was not a user of Goodreads, so any comments on this thread from that time period quite correctly state that I was not aware of the range of uses people made of Goodreads shelves. However I have been using it consistently for the last 18 months, which is why the plugin got rewritten over a year ago to match a better understanding of what people would want both from my own usage and feedback during that period.
Quote:
Well, since you don't like constructive criticism, I shan't bother to continue with what I've learned about that error.
Constructive criticism is fine. A potential bug report is also good. However repeatedly insulting me is not. It ain't rocket science.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #482
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
edited for not having anything positive to add to the conversation....

Last edited by Ravensknight; 01-20-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #483
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Please respect the Plug-in Developers

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have seen a number of Plug-in threads recently where a request for an 'enhancement' has been rejected by the Plug-in developer and has not been taken well.

First, I want to thank all the Plug-in developers and users who are sharing there knowledge and experiences to help the rest of us better use Calibre and the Plug-ins. This type of sharing is what makes the Calibre community work. Second, for those who don't know this, we have Calibre and these great Plug-in enhancements because a developer, in there spare time, created a tool to help themselves and they decided to share that tool with the rest of us, for free.

I am sure, as a fellow developer, that all requests are being seriously considered by the plug-in developer before being rejected. They could even be enhancements that they considered or tried to implement, and then realized errors of there ways. It could also be that they don't see the value for investing the time implementing it, when weighed against other obligations; family, friends and work. These are people with lives, we should be grateful for the time they can give us.

There are three options available if a Plug-in developer rejects your request:

1) Stop using the plug-in
2) Continue using the plug-in
3) Modify the plug-in to accomplish what you want

Option three will not be available to everyone, but if you have any development background/skills it will be easy to pick up Python and attempt the modifications, there are plenty of Python tutorial and help sites available. The Plug-in developer may even be able to help you determine the best place to start/implement your change, or answer questions you may have about the plug-in code. The Plug-in code is all available, since Python is an Open Source language. Do a file search for gui.py, this file should be in the directory with the Plug-ins directory. It should be in a directory similar to (depending on you OS):

[User AppData]\calibre\plugins

I did this very thing for a Plug-in for a different package. I was able to learn Python quickly and modify a plug-in to accomplish what I needed over a weekend. I then shared my change with Plug-in developer, so they could incorporate it into the base code if they saw value to the plug-in. They didn't want to do so for very good reasons, and I was fine with that. It is, after all, their design/tool and their choice.

Thank you for listening, especially those who already understand.
edwdecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #484
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@edwecarlo - nicely said and appreciate the support.

If it is a feature I will use myself, then its chances of being added are obviously enormously higher. A number of plugins have evolved significantly from my original idea thanks to the folks here making great suggestions, so everyone benefits in that scenario.

For the rest of the enhancement suggestions the only real motivation I have is whether a significant amount of people are going to subsequently find it useful enough to show their appreciation - either in the forums or even more ideally via a direct donation. In case any of you think I am quietly making a fortune off the plugin donations - on average over the last two years I would guess I get a donation (happy dance time!) every 1-2 weeks. Which for 25+ plugins and likely 50,000+ unique users, for the many thousands of hours of development and support in my evenings, weekends and holidays means an hourly rate so far below the decimal point I would cry if it was my primary motivation. Add to that four months+ of 7 days a week Sigil work last year as well, and that is a heck of a lot of time that could have been spent on "other things". Entirely my choice of course - but please don't hold off clicking that donation link in my signature if you are thinking "surely enough others must be making it worthwhile for him so I don't need to" .

There will always be suggestions that are either too niche, too time consuming or too out of scope that I will reject. It doesn't always make them bad suggestions or ideas - in fact sometimes they may be worthy of their own more specific plugin. However every feature I *do* choose to implement becomes a commitment on my part - not only of the initial hours to write it, but to maintain it and support it over the life of the plugin from my perspective. When a plugin is new and still "finding its niche" I am more amenable to suggestions to help set the direction for it, as I said above sometimes one idea sparks a better one. However once the plugin matures, my usual answer is going to be less enthusiastic unless the idea is a cracking good one. And as time goes by or other projects come up I do have to start making more financially practical decisions about how I commit my after hours time.

In the case of this Goodreads Sync plugin I have from day one in this thread been very aware and constrained by their terms of service with regards to their API. So any change has to pass my "is it likely to be abused either accidentally or intentionally and if so screw the plugin for everyone?" test. On top of that it is one of the more complex plugins to maintain due to the complexity of the UI and existing features. There have been some requests on the last few pages to do with pulling data from other fields which I do intend to consider making when I next revisit this plugin, so it is not a "no to anything", but I'm not committing to a timeframe at this point either.

And as pointed out above by edwecarlo, if me saying that I don't want to spend *my* weekend writing a feature for *you* (please remember that is the real impact of what you are asking for!), there are always other options. You could learn enough to make the change yourself. There are a few forks of a couple of my plugins out there in the ether, and I am sure there are many more where people have hacked them for their own usage. That is what open source is all about - use it to learn and adapt to something you will make use of. Or if you don't have the skills, you could try paying someone to do it for you, be it me or someone else.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #485
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Hello, I was wondering if it's possible and not too complicated to make double click work in plug in customization. Like double click on the space for adding sync actions and similar. It would make it way quicker to add and modify sync actions instead of choosing the shelf and when going to the button to add sync action.

Like I double click on the appropriate shelf under the sync action and the window for sync action opens. I just keep on doing that all the time and when remember that I need to go down and click the button. I like to use touch pad as little as possible. I am redoing all sync action for the third time so it starts to bother you when you do the same action a lot of times.

I would also love the possibility to copy one sync action to another - like really really love (but I think that might be complicated) because often there is the same sync action for a few shelves or a lot of shelves have very similar action with just different value, so you would need to only edit that value which would be a lot faster than doing every single one from scratch.

Hope this is possible without too much work. If not when I'll just have to find a few days for dealing with the mess I have, someday, not soon

UPDATE: I just saw that you can edit multiple shelves sync actions

Last edited by Noughty; 01-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #486
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Noughty - the reason why it is not a double click is because at the moment there are two *distinct* possible things you can setup for a shelf, which go to different dialogs. People who use the "Add to shelf" functionality setup those actions, and people who use the "sync" feature set those actions up. So that means a double click feature would need the option to choose which set of actions it is going to launch. Which all sounded a bit complicated which is why it doesn't currently do that.

Another possibility would be to just have a single dialog for a shelf that combines the two with a couple of tabs on it, one for the sync actions and one for the add shelf actions. However that has the potential to make things more complicated. For instance the user would need to be aware if they have made changes on the other tab. And for the case of editing multiple shelves at once, you have the potential to do some unwanted things, i.e. if you had a sync action setup for one shelf, selected multiple shelves to setup add actions and then end up with that sync action on all of them. It just gets real ugly.

You know there is a right-click menu as well right? So rather than double click or single click and move to the button, just right click on the shelf and select the menu item you want.

Since you can do multiple shelves at once, I wouldn't have thought there was a massive need to support a configurable double click as I wouldn't expect people to be individually editing actions for lots of shelves? However if others are also keen for it I can take a look...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #487
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

In the settings window there are two spaces one bellow the add to shelf and another under the sync actions. So if you click the space where the sync actions is or should be it opens sync actions dialog, if you click where the add to shelf is it opens the add to shelf. I was thinking of this.

Of course if it's hard to do it's not that important . I used the bulk edit to choose to which column to sync and after that I only have to edit what I want to sync to the column - way faster. You can select the similar shelves, edit all and when edit them a little one at a time
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #488
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Aahhh - you mean double clicking in the relevant column cell? Yeah that wouldn't be difficult. I will take a look at it when I next work on this plugin.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #489
Noughty
Addict

yep, exactly

Thanks a lot, I was hoping it's not too hard
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #490
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
Thanks so much for this plug-in and for all the others of yours that I use

I'd really like to be able to add to Goodreads my bought from and bought date columns from Calibre. I believe that the api calls "Add to books owned" and "Update an owned book" cover this with purchase date and purchase location being what I would like to sync.

My "bought from" custom column is currently set as comma separated text but could be any type of text field, the "date bought" custom column is just a date field.

Thanks for looking at this suggestion!
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #491
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
@kiwidude Thanks again for this great plugin!

Please consider allowing custom columns of type "Text column for keeping series-like information" in "Add/Remove value to column", for "Shelf Add" and "Sync". This would allow the GoodReads plugin to work with your Reading List plugin to automatically create a sort order.

For example, I'd set the column to "A" when added to the "to-read" shelf and remove that value when the book is moved to the "read" shelf. I would end up with A[1]...A[x] as books are added (to be fine-tuned by your Manage Series plugin if necessary ). I then use a plugboard such that the titles in the Kindle look like e.g. "[A01] Some book", so the books are sorted on the reader itself...

Thanks!
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #492
BelgarionNL
BelgarionNL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
@Kiwi perhaps its a good Idea to rewrite the "Help" section because its not very helpful!

it's too vague and too abstract, It leaves you wondering: uhm ok what now?

If you could simply add a basic step for step progress as to what to do that would be helpfull!

like:

1: if you want to have a Yes or No Column in calibre for books in goodreads read here:
2: if you want your tags from goodreads in calibre (and remove the current tags in calibre) do this:

once again I am trying to set it up and I forgot how to create a yes or no column and unfortunately their is no easy help function so it takes way to much time to set it up and I think a lot of people just stop and don't bother with it anymore!

help is way too long and not really helpfull! give simple instructions on how to set it up and then people can always mess around with it and improve on it!

ETC

Last edited by BelgarionNL; 02-03-2013 at 12:05 PM.
BelgarionNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #493
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgarionNL View Post
1: if you want to have a Yes or No Column in calibre for books in goodreads read here:
Kiwidude answers this in the first post of this help thread just scroll down to "Displaying a Goodreads Identifier Column" and click the show button.

Quote:
2: if you want your tags from goodreads in calibre (and remove the current tags in calibre) do this:
The Goodreads Sync plug-in wont remove any tags from Calibre*, because that would drive many of us with non-Goodreads tags mental if a plug-in removed them unnecessarily.

This question is really about the Goodreads metadata plug-in but I'll answer it here so you can see it.

I'm assuming all your metadata apart from tags is correct, if not adjust the instruction as necessary.

Select all your badly tagged books, bulk edit metadata and use the remove tags text area to remove the incorrect tags or use the check box to remove all tags.

With the books still selected (if you have 100's or 1000's of books do them in batches not all at once) go to download metadata, and choose to configure downloads, before you change things use the "Set as Default" button to save your current set-up. Then deselect all the sources apart from Goodreads and deselect all metadata fields apart from tags.

Click Apply, then Download only metadata, and Calibre will download tags from only Goodreads for all your selected books.

Once you are done go back to the metadata options and click the "Select Default" to set your metadata downloads back to what you had before.

(* it will remove some tags if told to in the add to shelf/sync to shelves area but I don't believe that's what you are looking for yet)

Quote:
once again I am trying to set it up and I forgot how to create a yes or no column and unfortunately their is no easy help function so it takes way to much time to set it up and I think a lot of people just stop and don't bother with it anymore!

help is way too long and not really helpfull! give simple instructions on how to set it up and then people can always mess around with it and improve on it!

ETC
I imagine Kiwidude has only a small amount of time on which to work on a hobby like this, therefore it's probably better if he uses that time working on the plugin\s than writing up new help documents, especially considering your first question was answered in this thread and your second question has nothing to do with this plug-in but was about Calibre functions and the Goodreads Metadata plug-in.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #494
swallmark
swallmark began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 3, mini
Best Practice for adding to shelf

Hi,

Thanks for a great plugin!

My desire is to add my Calibre collection of ebooks to my established Goodreads database of physical books so I can use Goodreads as a searchable library (I'm not that interested in bringing the physical books from goodreads into Calibre).

The "add to shelf works" does the trick, except that the uploaded books are tagged as a hardcover/physical book - instead of an ebook. My guess this is driven by the metadata in Calibre

I've searched the plug-in setup, help file and this forum on this issue. Is it possible to set a parameter in Goodreads Sync to make all books added to a shelf show an ebook format?

Thanks for any advice
swallmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #495
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
The ISBN is different for each type of book i.e. physical, electronic. Sounds like the ones in calibre are for physical vice ebooks.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads