Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #46
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I am nominating:

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (Large Print but easily adjusted via a Calibre convert)
I will be happy to THIRD Childhood's End

--it's a true classic and been a few decades since I last read it. One of Clarke's best for sure!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #47
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Man...this is HARD to come up with just three to propose. I have a question since I haven't done this group read before...the specific sub-genre specified is Rivets/SF. I take this to mean more of a space travel sort of work than other options? Or is general SF good enough? I have a list, almost, but to me when you talk rivets & SF it means ray-guns & rocketships (or submarines) should be part of the story somehow.
I think this was to distinguish it from Science Fiction/ Fantasy - "Trees / Magic".

So, yes, I believe it is as you think.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #48
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I think this was to distinguish it from Science Fiction/ Fantasy - "Trees / Magic".

So, yes, I believe it is as you think.
Thanks...that was what I was thinking but wanted to be sure before making a couple nominations. My to-be-read list is several lifetimes long now soooooo....but so many are books not everyone would enjoy so I am playing it safer this go-round.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 AM   #49
brecklundin
Banned

Nominations:

A Fire Upon The Deep -- Vernor Vinge (Sold on Baen/Webscriptions, Amazon & ???)
Quote:
From Amazon:
In this Hugo-winning 1991 SF novel, Vernor Vinge gives us a wild new cosmology, a galaxy-spanning "Net of a Million Lies," some finely imagined aliens, and much nail-biting suspense.
Faster-than-light travel remains impossible near Earth, deep in the galaxy's Slow Zone--but physical laws relax in the surrounding Beyond. Outside that again is the Transcend, full of unguessable, godlike "Powers." When human meddling wakes an old Power, the Blight, this spreads like a wildfire mind virus that turns whole civilizations into its unthinking tools. And the half-mythical Countermeasure, if it exists, is lost with two human children on primitive Tines World.

Serious complications follow. One paranoid alien alliance blames humanity for the Blight and launches a genocidal strike. Pham Nuwen, the man who knows about Countermeasure, escapes this ruin in the spacecraft Out of Band--heading for more violence and treachery, with 500 warships soon in hot pursuit. On his destination world, the fascinating Tines are intelligent only in combination: named "individuals" are small packs of the doglike aliens. Primitive doesn't mean stupid, and opposed Tine leaders wheedle the young castaways for information about guns and radios. Low-tech war looms, with elaborately nested betrayals and schemes to seize Out of Band if it ever arrives. The tension becomes extreme... while half the Beyond debates the issues on galactic Usenet.
Spin -- Robert Charles Wilson (Sold on Baen/Webscriptions, Amazon and others)
Quote:
From Publishers Weekly(link back to Amazon):
One night the stars go out. From that breathtaking "what if," Wilson (Blind Lake, etc.) builds an astonishingly successful mélange of SF thriller, growing-up saga, tender love story, father-son conflict, ecological parable and apocalyptic fable in prose that sings the music of the spheres. The narrative time oscillates effortlessly between Tyler Dupree's early adolescence and his near-future young manhood haunted by the impending death of the sun and the earth. Tyler's best friends, twins Diane and Jason Lawton, take two divergent paths: Diane into a troubling religious cult of the end, Jason into impassioned scientific research to discover the nature of the galactic Hypotheticals whose "Spin" suddenly sealed Earth in a "cosmic baggie," making one of its days equal to a hundred million years in the universe beyond. As convincing as Wilson's scientific hypothesizing is--biological, astrophysical, medical--he excels even more dramatically with the infinitely intricate, minutely nuanced relationships among Jason, Diane and Tyler, whose older self tries to save them both with medicines from Mars, terraformed through Jason's genius into an incubator for new humanity. This brilliant excursion into the deepest inner and farthest outer spaces offers doorways into new worlds--if only humankind strives and seeks and finds and will not yield compassion for our fellow beings. Agent, Shawna McCarthy. (Apr. 14)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #50
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Wrong genre! Will think of another!

Last edited by Pegster; 10-23-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #51
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
I'll second Spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

Spin -- Robert Charles Wilson (Sold on Baen/Webscriptions, Amazon and others)
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #52
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I think I have it updated to this point.

Please let me know, if I have missed anyone's nomination, second, or third (or if you note any other errors).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'll SECOND - Fire Upon The Deep

as I've got it just started.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #54
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
[This is NOT a nomination, because I won't be participating, but...]

I was not satisfied with The Sparrow or its sequel (note, reading the sequel is probably not necessary unless you are into complete closure). It might be argued that my dissatisfaction arose from some idealogical problems that I feel reflected negatively in some aspects of the book (some character and plot points) that, for me, diminished the book's quality.

Saying that...actually because of that, I would definitely recommend the book to others interested in SF. I think it has a deserved place of significance in recent SF (for my mind, if you follow SF it's possibly "must read"), and is very ripe for discussion. It is, as you say, interesting.

Cheers,
Marc
(This is not a nomination)

Thanks for your input.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I think I have it updated to this point.

Please let me know, if I have missed anyone's nomination, second, or third (or if you note any other errors).
Thank you!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #56
voodoo_pepperweb
voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.

Device: Kindle K3, Android phone
I'll second "The Sparrow", "To Say Nothing of the Dog", and "A Fire Upon the Deep".
"The Sparrow" should have some interesting discussion points, "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is on my to read pile, and "A Fire Upon the Deep" is a really excellent book.
voodoo_pepperweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
(This is not a nomination.)

CURSES! I wanted to nominate 2001: A Space Odyssey by Authur C. Clarke, but "This title is not available for customers from: United States."
That's easy. The people who can buy it will buy it, strip the DRM, and give the US readers a free copy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd like to nominate Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

Quote:
1885, the North West Frontier. Rudyard Kipling is witness to a British army action to repress a local uprising. And to a terrifying intervention by a squadron of tanks from 2137. Before the full impact of this extraordinary event has even begun to sink in Kipling, his friends and the tanks are, themselves flung back to the 4th century and the midst of Alexander the Great's army. Mankind's time odyssey has begun. It is a journey that will see Alexander avoid his premature death and carve out an Empire that expands from Carthage to China. And it will present mankind with two devastating truths. Aliens are amongst us and have been manipulating our past and our future. And that future extends only as far as 2137 for that is the date Earth will be destroyed. This is SF that spans countless centuries and carries cutting edge ideas on time travel and alien intervention. It shows two of the genre's masters at their groundbreaking best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to nominate Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

That sounds good. I'll second Time's Eye. Clarke's a great writer, and if he can do for time what he did for space in 2001: A Space Odyssey, the book's bound to be a winner!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-23-2010 at 10:27 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
(This is not a nomination.)

CURSES! I wanted to nominate 2001: A Space Odyssey by Authur C. Clarke, but "This title is not available for customers from: United States."
There only has to be "A" ebook available.. it doesn't have to be available world wide. Of course, it might be hard for a book not available in the US to win.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote