Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Epub reader - end of book not displayed.

I have a problem with Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire.

According to Sigil It has NINE parts but Epub Reader can only see FOUR parts.

I made the book with Calibre and it can be read correctly on a PocketBook 360 but has the same problem with a CybookGen 3 i.e. the last part of the book is missing.

Edit: I changed the .epub extension to .zip and opened it up. There are EIGHT html splits and it is the last one (split 8) that is not being read.

I cannot fathom what is wrong with it. The book has a lot of accented characters but it passes the wc3 validation for xhtml using utf-8 encoding.

And I don't understand why Sigil says 9 parts, Epub Reader says 4 parts, and the .zip contains 8 parts..... beats me

Last edited by Moonraker; 06-26-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

I made the book with Calibre and it can be read correctly on a PocketBook 360 but has the same problem with a CybookGen 3 i.e. the last part of the book is missing.

Edit: I changed the .epub extension to .zip and opened it up. There are EIGHT html splits and it is the last one (split 8) that is not being read.

I cannot fathom what is wrong with it. The book has a lot of accented characters but it passes the wc3 validation for xhtml using utf-8 encoding.

And I don't understand why Sigil says 9 parts, Epub Reader says 4 parts, and the .zip contains 8 parts..... beats me
Are you really sure?
Files, splits, Parts and Chapters are not quite the same thing.

I have many 14 chapter books that are done in 4 splits inside the EPUB, add the other required files/folders and the count is 11 . Add additional Images, stylesheets and the count goes up. A "Chapter" does not have to be a single file. The content.opf chains the files and pieces into the correct order.

Some books have a inline TOC (*html) which is not the same as the toc.ncx (which used by the display on the sidebar). They are mostly independent . Sometimes I choose to include a inline "Contents" page in my book edit when hitting limits of what can be done with the ncx version.

I would expect Sigil TOC editor and EPUBreader "Contents" to agree.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your comments. I think I understand what you are saying.

I have done further experimenting on this problem and have the following findings:

Sigil, Calibre, Sony Reader Library and the devices PocketBook 360 and Sony PRS-505 can all read the book.

Epub Reader and the Cybook Gen 3 cannot read it.

I would like to know why because my daughter wishes to borrow my Gen 3 and wants me to load some books onto it.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your comments. I think I understand what you are saying.

I have done further experimenting on this problem and have the following findings:

Sigil, Calibre, Sony Reader Library and the devices PocketBook 360 and Sony PRS-505 can all read the book.

Epub Reader and the Cybook Gen 3 cannot read it.

I would like to know why because my daughter wishes to borrow my Gen 3 and wants me to load some books onto it.
Since Sigil CAN read the entire book.
Open the book in Sigil.
Go to the last word you CAN SEE in EPUBReader and the switch to code view and see what is happening just after that point.

Spaces in (internal) file names trips up some readers.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Moonraker
Addict

This is the last thing that shows up on Split 007:

<p class="calibre1">“Harley-Davidson,” she said. “Sweet.”</p>

<p class="calibre2 sgc-1">&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>

The first bit of code on Split 008 is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<!--lang- use either "en-us" or "en-uk" as applicable-->

<head>
<title>The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" type="text/css" />

<style type="text/css">
@page { margin-bottom: 4.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }

p.sgc-1 {margin:0pt; border:0pt; height:1em}
</style>
</head>

<body class="calibre">
<h4 class="calibre7">CHAPTER 27</h4>

<h5 class="calibre6">Wednesday, April 6</h5>

As I already mentioned -- none of the Split 008 displays in ePub reader or on the Cybook Gen 3.

Can anyone see what is wrong with it?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
This is the last thing that shows up on Split 007:

<p class="calibre1">“Harley-Davidson,” she said. “Sweet.”</p>

</body>
</html>

The first bit of code on Split 008 is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<!--lang- use either "en-us" or "en-uk" as applicable-->

<head>
<title>The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" type="text/css" />

<style type="text/css">
@page { margin-bottom: 4.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }

p.sgc-1 {margin:0pt; border:0pt; height:1em}
</style>
</head>

<body class="calibre">
<h4 class="calibre7">CHAPTER 27</h4>

<h5 class="calibre6">Wednesday, April 6</h5>

As I already mentioned -- none of the Split 008 displays in ePub reader or on the Cybook Gen 3.

Can anyone see what is wrong with it?
Look at the tail end of split8 and see if there ale the matching , closing tags

Code:
</body>
</html>
Pay particular attention to CASE, some readers don't like Mixed tags(supposed to be insensitive, but matched pair is an interpretation):
you open with
Code:
<body>
don't close with
</Body>
Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Moonraker
Addict

The end of Split 008 seems to be okay:

<h4 class="calibre7">ALSO BY STIEG LARSSON</h4>

<p class="calibre12"><em class="calibre8">The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo</em></p>
</body>
</html>

I have now given up and gone back to firmware 1.6 on the Gen 3. At least the .prc file of the above book displays correctly. The same .html file was used to create the .epub file and the .prc file.

Other epub files were okay on the Gen3 -- just this one was problematic.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:

When you say "EPUBReader can only see FOUR parts", does this mean you can not navigate with the green navigationbuttons to the last parts? If so, please upload the opf-file.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
<h4 class

Any chance it doesn't like <h4 class="calibre7">?

Most headings would be just <h4>.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Any chance it doesn't like <h4 class="calibre7">?

Most headings would be just <h4>.
I don't think that this is the problem, I guess it has something to do with the opf-file. Of course it would be the easiest, if Moonraker would just make the whole epub available, but I don't know if he wants to do this .
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
I don't think that this is the problem, I guess it has something to do with the opf-file. Of course it would be the easiest, if Moonraker would just make the whole epub available, but I don't know if he wants to do this .
That would be against forum rules Copyright issues
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Moonraker
Addict

Problem solved!

I have been working on this html file and found some empty <span></span> tags which I removed. I did further editing -- nothing much -- added some <br /> tags to show scene changes and a few other things that I cannot remember now.

By the way, my own headings are just <h4>Heading</h4> but Calibre adds the extra code during conversion.

I made a new epub file and checked it in the reader -- hey presto it's working properly now. Whatever I did solved the issue but I'm still not sure what is was.

Last edited by Moonraker; 06-28-2010 at 11:24 AM.