Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
HD+ Questions

Okay, seriously thinking of this after Christmas.

But I have a couple questions on it.

How is the library sorted? I see that it has a page turn animation and for whatever reason I love it, so it would be my stock reader. If I transfer via Calibre would it put it in the main library? Or if I download from dropbox app and I put it in the same folder, would it put it where the title says, or in another grouping of items? I send books to my device putting series in the title with Calibre.

Also, I've heard I can just sideload apps via adb and not have to root. That would be ideal for me, as I want Comic Rack for my comics.

Thanks!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
It depends on where you tell Calibre to send the books. Your Library is where ALL of your content is, and then it's broken down by format/location. So you have separate sub-libraries for Books, Files, Apps, Movies/TV etc. Anemic Oak has a photo of it here.

If you tell Calibre to send your books to the Books folder on the internal memory, it shows up in the main Books library. If you send it anywhere else it seems to end up in the My Files library/file browser. On the other hand, it seems to be smart enough to detect that videos are videos regardless of where they're sent, and those all show up in the Movies/TV library.

If you do a search from the search bar at the bottom, it will search all libraries at once.

I also send from Calibre with the series in front of the title. I don't know how it deals with that when you send stuff to the Books folder, as I haven't done that yet, but I expect it to work fine since the Color did. It doesn't seem to show up when you browse the Files directory, but it does when you search your library via the search bar. That's good enough for me, as I usually use the search bar rather than browsing, but that may not be enough for others.

I don't use Dropbox, so I'm no help there.

Yes, sideloading apps seems to be possible, but I sure as hell couldn't make it work, so I can't give any information there either.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, thank you very much! I'm sure that it will do what I need...the only app I really want is Comic Rack, I'm sure I can get that installed.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome! And comics look GREAT on it, by the way. I've got some on it in PDF, and there's no more squinting to try and read small text bubbles. I can only imagine how much better they'll look in actual comic book formats.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
I also send from Calibre with the series in front of the title. I don't know how it deals with that when you send stuff to the Books folder, as I haven't done that yet, but I expect it to work fine since the Color did. It doesn't seem to show up when you browse the Files directory, but it does when you search your library via the search bar. That's good enough for me, as I usually use the search bar rather than browsing, but that may not be enough for others.
You can have Calibre rename the file to include the series title, as well as update the metadata. I don't have it to hand, but it is something like Preferences->Change Calibre Behaviour->Save to Disk/Send to Device (whichever you are using).
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You can have Calibre rename the file to include the series title, as well as update the metadata. I don't have it to hand, but it is something like Preferences->Change Calibre Behaviour->Save to Disk/Send to Device (whichever you are using).
That's what I have mine set to. It doesn't work with my rooted Jellybean Nook Color though, it does't rename the files. I was able to force it via a profile type thing, which is why I was wondering with the new Nook HD and + how it handled it.

I can't wait until the start of January so I can get my hands on one of these things!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Nahgem
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
I also send from Calibre with the series in front of the title. I don't know how it deals with that when you send stuff to the Books folder, as I haven't done that yet, but I expect it to work fine since the Color did.
So, I sent a series over into the books library last night, and it does show the series title ahead of the book title like I expected, whether browsing from the library itself or searching from the search bar.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
One oddity of the new Nooks is that Preference/Option menus in sideloaded apps often show up gray-on-gray, so basically unreadable. I just confirmed that it's the case with ComicRack.

FYI, the stock reader does handle CBZ just fine. They'll show up under My Files until you open them, after which they'll be shelved with Magazines.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
FYI, the stock reader does handle CBZ just fine. They'll show up under My Files until you open them, after which they'll be shelved with Magazines.
It doesn't look like this is correct. I've been doing some side by side testing of Comic Rack, Perfect Viewer, and the HD+ stock reader. Here are my observations (lifted from a thread on XDA):
Quote:
...there is a noticeable pause between touch and pageturn in Comic Rack, whereas in Perfect Viewer it's basically instantaneous. From fresh installs on a (currently) CM7 Nook Color, Comic Rack did have my library loaded pretty much instantly and automatically whereas PV had to be pointed to the folder and then did a lengthy scan. From then on, though, PV just beats the pants off CR for loading times and page turns.

It's all moot if you're planning to use the stock reader, but I figured I'd do the side-by-side since both devices were handy.

I just played around with the HD+ stock reader some more, and it's a little weird; the first CBZ I tried last week originally appeared under My Files in the Library app, but ended up shelved under Magazines after I'd opened it. I just tried loading several issues from a series to see if they'd be listed as a series under Magazines, but they didn't get added to the Magazine shelf. They show up in the Recent carousel, but to get at them via the Library I'd still have to go through My Files. The only change I've made was to change the folder name from /ext_sdcard/Books to /ext_sdcard/Comics. I'll mess around some more and report back.

ETA: Somehow the comic I opened last week ended up in /sdcard/My Files/Magazines, and as such shows up under Magazines in the Library. Some CBZs do have some odd artifacting at the bottom of the page, like the bottom few pixels were smeared down the page.
The pause may not be present in CR's native CBP format. I did try disabling the page turn animation which helped some, but there's still that pause on almost every page turn. PV would occasionally take a beat and display the "page is loading" message, but only when paging quickly through a book or loading a high res two-page splash panel.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard

thanks for all your help on this and over on the xda website!

Appreciated sir!