Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Otherwise, we'd all get sued...
Especially when we all have rounded corners.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I can tell you from my long-ago Latin classes at the University that capitalization was used in Ancient Rome. So, it isn't a recent thing.
Classical Latin was written in nothing BUT capital letters (generally with no spaces between the words!). Lower-case letters were a medieval invention.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lower-case letters were a medieval invention.
The middle ages get a bum rap. Those guys invented tons of useful things.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #34
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Mrs. Hartwig, my high school English teacher said it was because personal names are always capitalized, and I was the personal name used when referring to oneself.

But then when she was teaching me English, the neutral gender was still the masculine.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #35
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have always meekly accepted that it is I and not i, but why? There is no word that is i so why the extra step of I? I can't even write i without correcting it afterwards because auto-correct will immediately change it back to I.
Does anyone know how the need for capitalization came about?

Ego and or the id?

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #36
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Let's just say 'exception' and be over with it.
German capitalizes all nouns - a behaviour for which I haven't see a logical explanation either.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #37
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
What is the audible difference between "sea" and "see",
Keeping in mind that english isn't my native language, I'd definitely think them different - "sea" changes the sound at the end, while "see" is just a long-drawn "eee".
"cee", "see" and "zee" would sound the same, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post

German capitalizes all nouns - a behaviour for which I haven't see a logical explanation either.
It may be a backwards-explanation, but it certainly helps to differentiate verbs and nouns.
Which is, contrary to popular opinion, quite important. You can get by without, of course - but it helps a lot.
(Same goes for stuff like punctuation.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And yet Dutch, which is a language very closely related to German, doesn't .
Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #39
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
I'd definitely think them different - "sea" changes the sound at the end, while "see" is just a long-drawn "eee".
"cee", "see" and "zee" would sound the same, IMO.
In American English "sea" and "see" are pronounced exactly the same. I do not know about British English.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
In American English "sea" and "see" are pronounced exactly the same. I do not know about British English.
It's the same in British English.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #41
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the same in British English.
Don't fall for it Harry, there is no such thing as British English, they can put American in front of their version but, by the Gods, we shall keep our language as English
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #42
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Don't fall for it Harry, there is no such thing as British English, they can put American in front of their version but, by the Gods, we shall keep our language as English
Or English English.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Or English English.
Apache
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #44
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Wouldn't that be the Queen's English, at least until Charles takes the throne?
BTW, will he be Charles II?
I can't recall any higher numbers in the annals of English history, not that I'm well versed in it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
BTW, will he be Charles II?
No; Diana I
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote