Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Sony EBL 3.0 Mac stopped working.

Hi,

Tonight my Sony EBL 3.0 on my mac (10.6.1) suddenly stopped working.
I had it running earlier tonight. But after I had closed the program it refused to open again. It just bounces a bit in the dock, and the eBook Library menu shows in the menu bar, where I can hide it and quit it. But that's it.

The only thing it did when the program was closed, was to upgrade Calibre to 0.6.14, but I refuse to believe that this has caused the problem. (But I did try to remove Calibre again anyway )

When Sony issued EBL 3.0 I had similar problems in getting the program to run, but back then I used the trick to change my regional- and language settings to US before installing. And it has been working ever since.
What I have tried now is to
- uninstall EBL with the uninstall script Sony includes.
- reboot
- change regional-/language settings to US
- reboot
- install EBL

But I still cannot get it run again.

Does anybody got any idea?

Please do not say "just use Calibre" because I am using Calibre, but I would also like to continue being able to sync my notes.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Problem Solved

I realized that there also was a Sony Corporation folder in the Preferences folder that Sony's own uninstall script doesn't remove. This folder contains EBL's database
Once that was removed the program could start again, even though it is without any books in it.

But if any of you get into the same trouble, beware!
EBL only syncs one way.
I connected my reader expecting it to sync my books and notes on the reader back to EBL. But nooooooo Everything on the reader was deleted.

EBL really is a big pile of *beeep*
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had the same problem and I am using 10.5.8 so it is not Snow Leopard which is causing the problem. It seems that deleting the ebook library in the Preferences folder resolves the issue. Now I only need to add my books again. Anyway, strange issue. It seems that the database gets corrupted somehow.
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by codrutoctavian View Post
I had the same problem and I am using 10.5.8 so it is not Snow Leopard which is causing the problem. It seems that deleting the ebook library in the Preferences folder resolves the issue. Now I only need to add my books again. Anyway, strange issue. It seems that the database gets corrupted somehow.
UHM. You know, might be the root of all problems in the slow performance after a while, now that I think about it- sick day, so I'll try to work it out. Thank you for the suggestion.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
readerjr
readerjr began at the beginning.

Device: prs700
as always the real answer

Hello there, the answer for your question is simple, the ebl 3.0 is not supported by snow lopard , sony will release a compatible version maybe at the end of the year.

Only mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 are supported...
readerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerjr View Post
Hello there, the answer for your question is simple, the ebl 3.0 is not supported by snow lopard , sony will release a compatible version maybe at the end of the year.

Only mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 are supported...
Sorry, but no I'm on 10.6 and I can totally use it. It can be slow (when was it a flash?), but it works perfectly (I even took up using the sync feature, which I never did with ebl 2!). You just have to change the userprefs in the right way (US format). Nothing more.

...you do have a mac, do you?

Last edited by Juliette; 10-01-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
lkodk
Connoisseur

Many mac users report problems with EBL no matter if they are on 10.5 or 10.6.

My experience on 10.5 was that it was buggy, but admittedly I didn't experience a total database crash as this one, but I'm pretty sure it would have happened anyway had I stayed on 10.5.
And until yesterday it had run fine since my upgrade to 10.6 (no better/no worse than 10.5 that is)