Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #91
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just use PowerAmp for both music and audiobooks on Android. It's the highest recommended music player for Android, and while it lacks a few features that are nice for audiobooks (adjustable playback speed, bookmarks and/or remembering position in multiple 'albums') it also has a much more refined interface than any of the dedicated audiobook players. Having just one audio player also means I can let it pause/resume when headphones are plugged/unplugged and not have multiple apps fighting over who has dibs on the headphone jack.

Most of the time I do listen to audiobooks on my tablet and music on my phone, which means PowerAmp is almost always ready to pick up where I left off on the tablet. Still, it really wasn't that hard finding my place back when I would listen to audiobooks on my PC at night and my phone during the day, with no kind of syncing between the two. Another nice thing about PowerAmp is you can enable it as a lockscreen replacement, so as soon as you wake the device if audio was playing, you have access to play/pause, scan/skip and a seek bar without unlocking or navigating to the app.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #92
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Another good audiobook player on Android is MortPlayer and its free. So far I've not had any issues with it for my books, but then I don't have any DRM'ed audio books to check that function. It does have a sleep function though.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #93
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
For Android I use Poweramp for music and Listen Audiobook for books, which is another excellent audiobook player - costs 75p. It has forward and back scan which you can set the amount of time to suit yourself, chapter jumps, a sleep timer, adjustable speed and bookmark feature. You can also automatically download the book cover to display whilst you are listening. The headphone controls on my S3 work even when the screen is locked. Very pleased with this app but it won't work for DRM'd books, but this can be removed with a bit of twiddling. I don't mind paying for apps if they work, and this one is the best audiobook player I've found so far.

The Audible app for Android is also good, plus you can download your books directly from your library.

deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #94
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Another good audiobook player on Android is MortPlayer and its free. So far I've not had any issues with it for my books, but then I don't have any DRM'ed audio books to check that function. It does have a sleep function though.
I like Mort Player for Audiobooks as well. It's in need of a few updates, but it seems to be one of the better of the free ones.
In particular, I'd like to to see him implement gapless playback, which I believe is now available through Jellybean.

For my stuff that demands gapless, I'm using Rockbox for Android, which is "pre-release" and a bit hacky, but works.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #95
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I missed this thread when it was started earlier. I have an iPhone and I use iTunes to for my music and podcasts, but I use the Audible app to playback my Audible books.

Is there a benefit for using iTunes instead of Audible to manage/play my audiobooks? I also have Media Monkey installed on my computer, but I've never used it -- is there a benefit for me to look into that instead, given that my media players are an iPhone and a 6th gen iPod Nano?
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #96
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Another free Android alternative is jetAudio Basic (Plus is $4). It resumes multiple files (but not if they're in the same folder) and has speed control in 10% increments from 50% to 150%, plus 170% and 200%. (The speed control setting is hard to find, as it only appears under the menu when you're in list view.)

It's also a fine music player, which could be expected from the folks who make the Cowon MP3 players.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #97
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What I love about Akimbo I should of mention earlier is you can add bookmarks just like a eReader. So I can bookmark several places in the Audio book so if I wanted to say (Don't laugh) bookmark all the places Ranger talks in a Stephanie Plum Novel I could. Multiple Bookmarks is awesome! I can also go back or forward 10 seconds or 1 minute. You can lock it too. It's well worth the small amount is costs.

You can go to a specific position if you know where you like to go. No need using the slider to find it. It's also has chapters if you are using a M4B book. For those who listen to just audiobooks it's perfect.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #98
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What I love about Akimbo I should of mention earlier is you can add bookmarks just like a eReader. So I can bookmark several places in the Audio book
Mortplayer for audiobooks, Rockbox, and the Audible player (I think) allow this as well.

Quote:
so if I wanted to say (Don't laugh) bookmark all the places Ranger talks in a Stephanie Plum Novel I could.
If there was any doubt you were a girl....
Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #99
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Mortplayer for audiobooks, Rockbox, and the Audible player (I think) allow this as well.

If there was any doubt you were a girl....
I said don't laugh! You mean all those Romance novels I promote in the Deals forum didn't give me away?

When I used Mortplayer it didn't have multiple Boomarks but that was ages ago. It could of been implemented since then.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #100
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
So I can bookmark several places in the Audio book so if I wanted to say (Don't laugh) bookmark all the places Ranger talks in a Stephanie Plum Novel I could. Multiple Bookmarks is awesome!
Well, it IS very important to pay close attention to what Ranger says!! Very very close....
Mmmmm, yummy!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #101
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Well, it IS very important to pay close attention to what Ranger says!! Very very close....
Mmmmm, yummy!
S
Go Team Babe! The Stephanie Plum series change my life. When I tell people this they look at me funny.

If you don't have the Audibles they are well worth it! At least the ones done by Lorelei King. She is my all time favorite narrator. Each month I get one with a credit. 5 & 6 are still not available though. I had to go to ebay to get 5 on CD which is C.J. Critt she is okay but isn't the best. I wish King would go back and do the first 6.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #102
ApK

Quote:

When I used Mortplayer it didn't have multiple Boomarks but that was ages ago. It could of been implemented since then.
I just double checked. You can put as many bookmarks as you like in a track now.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I just double checked. You can put as many bookmarks as you like in a track now.
That's good to know.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #104
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Go Team Babe! The Stephanie Plum series change my life. When I tell people this they look at me funny.

If you don't have the Audibles they are well worth it! At least the ones done by Lorelei King. She is my all time favorite narrator. Each month I get one with a credit. 5 & 6 are still not available though. I had to go to ebay to get 5 on CD which is C.J. Critt she is okay but isn't the best. I wish King would go back and do the first 6.
I love Lorelei King! She's Mercy Thompson's voice!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #105
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
Listen Audiobook for books, which is another excellent audiobook player
Thanks for the heads-up on Listen Audiobook Player.
It's now my new favorite. It has all the important features I liked in Mortplayer, a very nice GUI, plus it is the only one of the current crop of audiobook players I've found that supports gapless playback, at least on my Jellybean phone, which is important for content that is, for whatever reason, broken into a large number of short audio files.
It has one other main advantage over Mortplayer for me: Listen is being actively updated, and the developer has been very responsive to questions, issues and feature requests.

ApK