Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #31
shiquanwang
shiquanwang began at the beginning.

Device: none
I’ve tried it on my Kindle DXG with
Fatal error: Kernel too old (or outdated)
in the step calling ./bootdebian.sh
What should I do to work it out?
Thanks.
shiquanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #32
tannenba
tannenba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
How do I use this w/ luigis terminal ?

I must be missing something simple, but how do I fire up this debian environment from luigis terminal? I would have thought I run terminal and then run bootdebian.sh, but the instructions on the blog state in bold that bootdebian.sh cannot be run from luigis term. Or perhaps that is only referring to the first time when you need to run dkpg configure, and after that then running bootdebian.sh from luigis is ok? Or is everyone keeping the debian chroot environment running all the time and telneting to localhost or some such?

My main interest in all this is just to get an ssh client running on my Kindle 3 WiFi. If that is all I really want, is this overkill? Is it just a simple matter to install and run an ARM ssh client in the native Kindle linux environment and then use it via luigis term, or is there some gotcha? Finally, I hear a lot of people talk about using screen - is this because the Kindle WiFi kills tcp connections after a small timeout or?

Thanks, and sorry for all the newb questions - I am comfy w/ Linux administration, but the whole kindle hack scene is new to me.
tannenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #33
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Have you installed the USB Networking hack? It has a builtin ssh client that you can use from luigi's terminal.

Screen is useful for its own features, such as multiple windows, copy & paste, re-attaching to disconnected sessions, etc. (no, the Kindle does not timeout tcp sessions).

After you ssh to the Kindle, then you can run bootdebian.sh. Other than a sandboxed environment to protect you from bricking the Kindle, I find that the native Kindle linux with USB Networking provides mostly the same functions and the debian environment is an unnecessary layer.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
nyirog
nyirog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
remount kindle file system as read and write

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubnikv View Post
Hello.

I tried a similar setup. When running on flash disk, it is recommended to mount the root filesystem with noatime parameter to disable updating the access time whenever a file is accessed:

mount -o loop,noatime /mnt/us/debian-armel-750.img /mnt/debian

Other than that, you did not mount devpts. I am not sure what difference it makes:
mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/debian/dev/pts

I wonder how the Debian will wear the flash drive. Flash filesystems have limited number of write cycles. Therefore Kindle mounts most of the file system as read only and creates ramdisks for working file systems. I would strongly recommend this approach with the debian armel on Kindle, but I have no sufficient knowledge of Linux anymore to answer which folders shall be mounted to ramdisks on Debian.

BTW, I don't think you can brick your Kindle as long as the root filesystem is mounted read only.

Vojtech
Hello Vojtech,

I hit the problem of read only file system, how did you resolve this issue?
I'm kind of newbie in mount usage and i don't want to mess up the setup.
Could you give me some hints in this?

nyirog
nyirog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #35
bobmor99
bobmor99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I'm having trouble with the link to your blog.

<quote>
Ive written a step by step guide on how to install a 500mb debian image onto the kindle, you can view it on my new blog here: http://xkid.biz/wordpress/?p=4
</quote>
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #36
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmor99 View Post
I'm having trouble with the link to your blog.

<quote>
Ive written a step by step guide on how to install a 500mb debian image onto the kindle, you can view it on my new blog here: http://xkid.biz/wordpress/?p=4
</quote>
I actually just renewed my domain today, so give it 24-48 hours and try again. or force your dns to update
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #37
bobmor99
bobmor99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqtftqx View Post
I actually just renewed my domain today, so give it 24-48 hours and try again. or force your dns to update
Thank you Xqtftqx. I'm looking forward to reading your blog.
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #38
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
I need more guide!

Authenticating with public key “rsa-key-20120417″
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us
[root@kindle us]# ./bootdebian.sh[*] Mounting Rootfs…
mount: mount point /mnt/debian does not exist[*] Preparing Filesystem…
mount: mount point /mnt/debian/dev does not exist
mount: mount point /mnt/debian/proc does not exist
mount: mount point /mnt/debian/sys does not exist[*] Preparing Network Connections…
cp: cannot remove ‘/mnt/debian/etc/hosts’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot remove ‘/mnt/debian/etc/resolv.conf’: No such file or directory[*] Starting Shell…
chroot: cannot change root directory to /mnt/debian: No such file or directory[*]Unmounting Rootfs…
umount: /mnt/debian/dev: not found
umount: /mnt/debian/proc: not found
umount: /mnt/debian/sys: not found
umount: /mnt/debian: not found

i do it following your steps.It still get wrong.Can you help me to solve this?
I am a freshman in linux,so please just in detail.
Thank you very much!mine is k3 3.3.

Last edited by xueyou2; 04-21-2012 at 04:55 AM.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqtftqx View Post
Hi Xqtftqx, your domain is gone once again!
Mind posting this tutorial on this forum + prebuilt image somewhere? Thanks.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #40
bobsmog
bobsmog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Cant accses your blog, whats up?
bobsmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #41
bobsmog
bobsmog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Exclamation cant access your website

cant access your website
bobsmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #42
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I think that this is dead
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #43
shinji257
shinji257 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Anyone have a mirror to the page on the OP post along with the image and script used to boot it? I mean I can get a donor together but I'm not really wanting to go through that...
shinji257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #44
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Maybe someone who downloaded before would be able to. I can host the download if needed.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #45
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I have one of these if you need:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=31

You can easily adjust it mount on your kindle if you want? PM me and I can share the link - I'd rather not host it as I don't have the bandwith or space...
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote