Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Not Splitting words at end of sentence

Hello*
When I compare the layout of the pages on the Kobo glo with a normal book I noticed that on most of the epubs I read, the device does never tries to split words at the end of a sentence. It always uses full words. In that way the layout seems wierd as it tries to match with filling it up with empty spaces or with another setting it leaves gaps at the end of a line instead of part of a word.*
The language is Dutch. Is this a Kobo fault or an ePub error. Or do I need to do something to make it work?
Is it Kobo related...the not knowing how to split a dutch word?
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
KOBO has no option to change hyphenation settings comfortably, but you can (quite easily) modify the hyphenation settings in the firmware installer files:

Download the firmware to your computer. (Don't install it yet).
Open the KoboRoot.tgz file with 7Zip.
Open the TAR inside with 7Zip.
Go to \.\usr\local\Kobo\hyphenDicts\
Edit the files for the languages you are using. (In the first line you will find the LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN settings, setting these to lower values will result in more hyphenation.)
Save and leave.
Copy the entire contents of the modified firmware zip file to the .kobo directory on the Touch.
Disconnect the Touch.
The Touch will now install the firmware with the adapted hyphenation settings.

To prevent firmware updates from overriding these settings again you will have to modify any future firmware in the same way (or, alternatively remove the hyphen dictionary files altogether from future firmware updates).
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

thank you foryour help and show me the way to the root file
but no dutch file is included...sadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
KOBO has no option to change hyphenation settings comfortably, but you can (quite easily) modify the hyphenation settings in the firmware installer files:

Download the firmware to your computer. (Don't install it yet).
Open the KoboRoot.tgz file with 7Zip.
Open the TAR inside with 7Zip.
Go to \.\usr\local\Kobo\hyphenDicts\
Edit the files for the languages you are using. (In the first line you will find the LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN settings, setting these to lower values will result in more hyphenation.)
Save and leave.
Copy the entire contents of the modified firmware zip file to the .kobo directory on the Touch.
Disconnect the Touch.
The Touch will now install the firmware with the adapted hyphenation settings.

To prevent firmware updates from overriding these settings again you will have to modify any future firmware in the same way (or, alternatively remove the hyphen dictionary files altogether from future firmware updates).
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1z View Post
thank you foryour help and show me the way to the root file
but no dutch file is included...sadly
That explains the complete lack of hyphenation (the standard KOBO hyphenation settings are rather aggressive for most languages). You may find a dutch dictionary somewhere (these are standard adobe hyphenation dictionaries) and add it to the firmware as explained above.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have not had a single hyphenated word appear in the dozen or so books I have read since buying the Kobo Glo, and thought before reading this thread that perhaps this was a limitation of ebooks. Is there a setting to turn this feature on or off? The Kobo help pages have NO entry for the word "hyphen". I almost exclusively read in English but bought the Kobo here in Germany. Could it be that no English hyphenation dictionary is included in the German version (the menu language is set to English and works fine; the dictionary list shows an English dictionary being active)? How can I check this?

Thanks!
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@sunny1z I'm wondering what justification settings you are using?

It may not be relevant, but it may have an impact on how words are treated on the line.

So are your settings:

Off

left justified

justified
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I noticed the other day that an ePub I created from raw text hyphenates just fine on my Glo (in English). So I wonder whether commercial ePubs may contain settings preventing hyphenation (for whatever reason), and so not seeing it where you'd expect actually has nothing to do with the reader?
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
jclim00
Nameless Being

My average seems to be about one hyphenated word every 2 pages or so. English language, justification settings in reader, left or justified doesn't seem to matter (though i convert all my epubs to justified in calibre), mostly commercial epubs, but again, converted through calibre. Big change from the nook touch which seems to hyphenate very very aggressively, sometimes seems like 1/3 of the line ending words being hyphenated.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
I noticed the other day that an ePub I created from raw text hyphenates just fine on my Glo (in English). So I wonder whether commercial ePubs may contain settings preventing hyphenation (for whatever reason), and so not seeing it where you'd expect actually has nothing to do with the reader?
It is possible to put hyphenation marks into words in the html code. These would then be the place that a device would choose to split the word if needed. But, I don't know if either reader on the Kobo device supports this.

Did you set the "text-align" property in the CSS of your book? Commercial books tend to use "justify" for this. That will result in more hyphenation than if you leave it as the default of "left".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote