Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #31
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Are we positive that the K4 will use NAND, not NOR like K3?
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #32
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
Are we positive that the K4 will use NAND, not NOR like K3?
http://blogkindle.com/2011/10/kindle...embly-part-ii/

According to this, it has a Sandisk eMMC iNAND
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Some logs (using ;dumpMessagesAll command)

Also there's manga reader, which reads zipped images in /mnt/us/documents directory.

Looks like there is bug in picture viewer there's one menu position missing, the other interesting fact is that it uses partial refresh without full refresh after 6 page tutrning.

Last edited by seaniko7; 10-06-2011 at 06:06 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #34
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Also there's manga reader, which reads zipped images in /mnt/us/documents directory.
I don't have one - however if the reader extracts the images (even temp) to some part of the fs, it might be possible that the handler is open to directory transversal with relative path names (just ../ recurse enough that you'll be in root then go from there to try (re)place). You'd be surprised how many things are open to this.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #35
kindacute
kindacute began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi+3g
Dear Yifanlu,

i am very glad about what you doing. Also i respect all your knowledge and your time. I know that it is to early to give me the answer, but maybe you will take a look at this moment in new software for kindle. The key feature that works in kindle latest and doesn't work in kindle 3g is Russian vocabularies( i mean underline translation ). I hope this is solvable problem for my kindle. And i hope that it is only software limitation, can you, please, when you will have enough time, to check what the difference, and maybe you will be able to make many Russian people more happy. Thank you in advance.
kindacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #36
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacute View Post
Dear Yifanlu,

i am very glad about what you doing. Also i respect all your knowledge and your time. I know that it is to early to give me the answer, but maybe you will take a look at this moment in new software for kindle. The key feature that works in kindle latest and doesn't work in kindle 3g is Russian vocabularies( i mean underline translation ). I hope this is solvable problem for my kindle. And i hope that it is only software limitation, can you, please, when you will have enough time, to check what the difference, and maybe you will be able to make many Russian people more happy. Thank you in advance.
And how am I supposed to get the software? I mentioned in a previous post, you need a nand dump. I can't just email Amazon and ask them to give me a copy of the operating system. Right now, the nand dump is the key to everything. With it, we can analyze the software, modify the software, and reverse the software. I can't stress how important it is and how everyone with intrest and skill should be seeking a way into getting it.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #37
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
yifanlu: I have access to a progskeet flasher, pm me for direct chat.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #38
kindacute
kindacute began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi+3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
And how am I supposed to get the software? I mentioned in a previous post, you need a nand dump. I can't just email Amazon and ask them to give me a copy of the operating system. Right now, the nand dump is the key to everything. With it, we can analyze the software, modify the software, and reverse the software. I can't stress how important it is and how everyone with intrest and skill should be seeking a way into getting it.
Sorry, i am far from such staff. But now i get the point. So we waiting when you will be able to dump the nand flash. Good luck.
kindacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

I've tried to overflow stack; atm file causes framework and system freezing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip overflow.jpg.zip (398 Bytes, 440 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #40
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
I've tried to overflow stack; atm file causes framework and system freezing.
Do the same thing on a kindle 3 with ssh connected so you can see the log output. See if there's anything interesting. A java crash is not, but a C crash dump is very interesting.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #41
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Do the same thing on a kindle 3 with ssh connected so you can see the log output. See if there's anything interesting. A java crash is not, but a C crash dump is very interesting.
Hm. I can't see anything unusual in log output, it's just freezing.

By the way, here's some screenshots :

Last edited by seaniko7; 10-12-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #42
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Hidden Commands

These are NO hack tips:

Device Info
"Keyboard" Button + Right "Previous Page" Button at Settings

Network Info
"Keyboard" Button + Right "Next Page" Button at Settings

DSN Barcode
"Keyboard" Button + Left "Previous Page" Button x 2 at Home

Last edited by hondamarlboro; 10-14-2011 at 08:57 PM.
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #43
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Got Seirial Line Connection

He successfully got the serial line on Kindle4. Japanese websites, not English.

http://www.ekesete.net/log/?p=3906

Last edited by hondamarlboro; 10-22-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: delete image due to size
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #44
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Here's my chat with ichinomoto (the one who got the console port working). We're trying to get root shell. It seems like it won't be as easy as the Kindle 3/2. To summarize, most uboot options (including read/write to NAND or RAM) are gone. bootargs are reset to null on boot (should be a way to bypass. looking in the source code). Recovery menu shows Export MMC0, but the option does not work. Anyone has any other ideas I can pass along? Some way to get Linux to load /bin/sh instead of kinit when starting up.

Quote:
Yifan Lu: so any luck getting root?
ichinomoto ekesete: I still not get root.
ichinomoto ekesete: Is there any way other than to transfer the kernel?
Yifan Lu: yes, the way is to get linux to boot /bin/sh
Yifan Lu: instead of /bin/init
Yifan Lu: so you get shell on boot
Yifan Lu: then mount the usb and copy the filesystem
Yifan Lu: on the k3, you do
Yifan Lu: setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw init=/bin/sh
Yifan Lu: then
Yifan Lu: boot
ichinomoto ekesete: I tried it, but it seems to boot with /bin/init .
Yifan Lu: it may be that "boot" resets bootarg
Yifan Lu: can you try bootm 0×41000 again aftrer setenv/
ichinomoto ekesete: I paste the log
Yifan Lu: thanks
ichinomoto ekesete: Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

uboot > setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw init=/bin/sh

uboot > bootm 0x41000

## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 70800000 ...

Image Name: Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126

Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)

Data Size: 4760896 Bytes = 4.5 MB

Load Address: 70008000

Entry Point: 70008000

Verifying Checksum ... OK

Loading Kernel Image ... OK

OK

Starting kernel ...

Linux version 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 (build2@lucid-build02) (gcc version 4.5.3 20110406 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.5-2011.04-0) ) #5 Fri Sep 2 22:46:52 PDT 2011

CPU: ARMv7 Processor [412fc085] revision 5 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f

CPU: VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT nonaliasing instruction cache

Machine: Amazon.com MX50 YOSHI Board

Board ID and Serial Number driver for Lab126 boards version 1.0

MX50 Board id - 00315011137300IG

Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback

On node 0 totalpages: 65536

free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat c0491b24, node_mem_map c04bd000

DMA zone: 192 pages used for memmap

DMA zone: 0 pages reserved

DMA zone: 24384 pages, LIFO batch:3

Normal zone: 320 pages used for memmap

Normal zone: 40640 pages, LIFO batch:7

Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on. Total pages: 65024

Kernel command line: consoleblank=0 rootwait ro ip=off root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 debug eink=fslepdc video=mxcepdcfb:E60,bpp=8 console=ttymxc0,115200

PID hash table entries: 1024 (order: 10, 4096 bytes)

Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)

Memory: 256MB = 256MB total

Memory: 254860KB available (3376K code, 362K data, 1072K init, 0K highmem)

NR_IRQS:368

MXC IRQ initialized

cko2_set_rate, new divider=5

MXC_Early serial console at MMIO 0x53fbc000 (options '115200')

console [ttymxc0] enabled

Console: colour dummy device 80x30

Calibrating delay loop... 799.53 BogoMIPS (lpj=3997696)

Mount-cache hash table entries: 512

CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok

regulator: core version 0.5

NET: Registered protocol family 16

i.MX IRAM pool: 128 KB@0xd0840000

CPU is i.MX50 Revision 1.1

MXC GPIO hardware

Using SDMA I.API

MXC DMA API initialized

bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0

mxc_spi mxc_spi.0: chipselect 0 already in use

mxc_spi mxc_spi.0: chipselect 0 already in use

CSPI: mxc_spi-0 probed

CSPI: mxc_spi-1 probed

mxc_spi mxc_spi.2: chipselect 0 already in use

CSPI: mxc_spi-2 probed

MXC I2C driver

MXC I2C driver

PMIC Light driver loading...

mc13892 Rev 2.1 FinVer 2 detected

Initializing regulators for mx50 yoshi.

regulator: SW1: 600 <--> 1375 mV

regulator: SW2: 900 <--> 1850 mV

regulator: SW3: 900 <--> 1850 mV

regulator: SW4: 1100 <--> 1850 mV

regulator: SWBST: 0 mV

regulator: VIOHI: 0 mV

regulator: VPLL: 1050 <--> 1800 mV

regulator: VDIG: 1200 mV

regulator: VSD: 1800 <--> 3150 mV

regulator: VUSB2: 2400 <--> 2775 mV

regulator: VVIDEO: 2775 mV

regulator: VAUDIO: 2300 <--> 3000 mV

regulator: VCAM: 2500 <--> 3000 mV fast normal

regulator: VGEN1: 3000 mV

regulator: VGEN2: 1200 <--> 3150 mV

regulator: VGEN3: 1800 mV

regulator: VUSB: 0 mV

regulator: GPO1: 0 mV

regulator: GPO2: 0 mV

regulator: GPO3: 0 mV

regulator: GPO4: 0 mV

PMIC ADC start probe

PMIC Light successfully loaded

Device spi3.0 probed

NET: Registered protocol family 2

IP route cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)

TCP established hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)

TCP bind hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)

TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 8192)

TCP reno registered

NET: Registered protocol family 1

LPMode driver module loaded

Static Power Management for Freescale i.MX5

PM driver module loaded

sdram autogating driver module loaded

Bus freq driver module loaded

Initializing MX50 Yoshi Accessory Port

mxc_dvfs_core_probe

DVFS driver module loaded

i.MXC CPU frequency driver

msgmni has been set to 498

alg: No test for stdrng (krng)

io scheduler noop registered

io scheduler anticipatory registered

io scheduler deadline registered

io scheduler cfq registered (default)

regulator: DISPLAY: 0 mV

regulator: GVDD: 20000 mV

regulator: GVEE: -22000 mV

regulator: VCOM: 0 <--> 2749 mV

regulator: VNEG: -15000 mV

regulator: VPOS: 15000 mV

regulator: TMST: 0 mV

papyrus 1-0048: PMIC PAPYRUS for eInk display

Amazon MX35 Yoshi Power Button Driver

Serial: MXC Internal UART driver

mxcintuart.0: ttymxc0 at MMIO 0x53fbc000 (irq = 31) is a Freescale MXC

console handover: boot [ttymxc0] -> real [ttymxc0]

loop: module loaded

mxc_rtc mxc_rtc.0: rtc core: registered mxc_rtc as rtc0

Probing mxc_rtc done

mc13892 rtc probe start

pmic_rtc pmic_rtc.1: rtc core: registered pmic_rtc as rtc1

mc13892 rtc probe succeed

i2c /dev entries driver

MXC WatchDog Driver 2.0

MXC Watchdog # 0 Timer: initial timeout 127 sec

MXC Watchdog: Started 10000 millisecond watchdog refresh

PMIC Character device: successfully loaded

pmic_battery: probe of pmic_battery.1 failed with error -1

sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver

sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman

mxsdhci: MXC Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver

mxsdhci: MXC SDHCI Controller Driver.

mmc0: SDHCI detect irq 273 irq 2 INTERNAL DMA

mxsdhci mxsdhci.1: dmabounce: registered device

mxsdhci: MXC SDHCI Controller Driver.

mmc1: SDHCI detect irq 0 irq 3 INTERNAL DMA

Registered led device: pmic_ledsr

Registered led device: pmic_ledsg

Registered led device: pmic_ledsb

nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (4096 buckets, 16384 max)

ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team

TCP cubic registered

NET: Registered protocol family 17

RPC: Registered udp transport module.

RPC: Registered tcp transport module.

kernel: I perf:kernel:kernel_loaded=0.72 seconds:

VFP support v0.3: implementor 41 architecture 3 part 30 variant c rev 2

regulator_init_complete: disabling TMST

regulator_init_complete: disabling VCOM

regulator_init_complete: disabling GPO4

regulator_init_complete: disabling GPO3

regulator_init_complete: disabling GPO2

regulator_init_complete: disabling GPO1

regulator_init_complete: disabling VGEN3

regulator_init_complete: disabling VGEN1

regulator_init_complete: disabling VCAM

regulator_init_complete: disabling VAUDIO

regulator_init_complete: disabling VVIDEO

regulator_init_complete: disabling VSD

regulator_init_complete: disabling SWBST

mxc_rtc mxc_rtc.0: setting system clock to 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC (0)

Freeing init memory: 1072K

mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x01 length 3

mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x1a length 5

2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #5 Fri Sep 2 22:46:52 PDT 201mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x1b length 8

1 armv7l
mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x14 length 0

mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x80 length 1

mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x81 length 1

mmc0: queuing CIS tuple 0x82 length 1

mmc0: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001

emmc: I def:mmcpartinfo:vendor=toshiba, ddr=1, host=mmc1:

mmc1: new high speed MMC card at address 0001

mmcblk0: mmc1:0001 002G00 1.82 GiB

mmcblk0: p1 p2 p3 p4

INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/eink_fb_waveform.ko (35500 bytes)

INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/eink_fb_hal.ko (71576 bytes)

INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/mxc_epdc_fb.ko dont_register_fb=1 (43068 bytes)

mxc_epdc_fb_init_hw: 06_05_0039_3c_151621_03_37_000007ae_85.wbf

eink_fb: I EINKFB_PROBE:def:fb0 using 1416K of RAM for framebuffer

INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/eink_fb_hal_fslepdc.ko (21580 bytes)

INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/eink_fb_shim.ko (119240 bytes)

INFO:eink initialized...input: tequila-keypad as /devices/platform/tequila-keypad/input/input0

(480000 bytes)

INFO:Using default keypad setting. (not passing "kb_rev" to module)

INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/tequila_keypad.ko (11264 bytes)

Press [ENTER] for recovery menu... 0 /INFO:* Partition table verified for /dev/mmcblk0 *

INFO:Checking for updates... (auto-pilot mode)

/dev/mmcblk0p4:

CHS=4/16/44608 size=1461714944 bytes

flag type first last lba first lba size

Partition p1:

0x00 0x0b 16 <large> 16 2854896

CHS: 0/1/1 - <large>

Partition p2:

Partition p3:

Partition p4:

INFO:Setup loop device /dev/loop0 for /dev/mmcblk0p4 + 8192

INFO:No update*.bin found; no update needed.

INFO:no updates found.

BOOTING DEFAULT.

argc == 10

argv[0]: "kinit"

argvkjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

[1]: "consoleblank=0"
Yifan Lu: OH!
Yifan Lu: when you see Press [ENTER] for recovery menu.
Yifan Lu: press enter!
Yifan Lu: that's great that it's still there
Yifan Lu: then paste me what the menu options are
ichinomoto ekesete: Menu

====

3. Load MMC0 over USB storage

4. Erase MMC0

I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT

O. Format and overwrite FAT partition

E. Export FAT partition

U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition

M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port

D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.

Q. quit

Choose: 6 /
Yifan Lu: YES! press 3 and see if you get a password prompt
ichinomoto ekesete: Unknown option '3' ???
Yifan Lu: does 'E' work?
ichinomoto ekesete: please wait
ichinomoto ekesete: Choose: 10 /e

INFO:storage_export(/dev/mmcblk0p4): exporting

Charge: 51% [##############################:::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::]

[FAT32]

1. done

R. reboot

Choose: /
Yifan Lu: ok, that works. but that only exports the user partition
Yifan Lu: we want /dev/mmcblk0p1
Yifan Lu: press 1 and see if it's done
Yifan Lu: then try 3 again
Yifan Lu: if it still doesn't work
Yifan Lu: reboot and do
Yifan Lu: setenv bootargs $bootargs init=/bin/sh

Yifan Lu: then
Yifan Lu: boot
ichinomoto ekesete: ok
ichinomoto ekesete: setenv and boot
ichinomoto ekesete: then kindle show normal login prompt
ichinomoto ekesete: this kindle, S/N: {REMOVED}
Yifan Lu: so option 3 does not work?
ichinomoto ekesete: yes, Unknown option '3'
Yifan Lu: hmm
Yifan Lu: in boot
Yifan Lu: md.b 0 40
Yifan Lu: what does that do?
ichinomoto ekesete: uboot > md.b 0 40

Unknown command 'md.b' - try 'help'
Yifan Lu: it seems that all the helpful stuff are gone
Yifan Lu: we need to get creative
Yifan Lu: this may not do anything useful, but try
Yifan Lu: run bootcmd_diags
Yifan Lu: also, try "idme ?"
ichinomoto ekesete: uboot > idme

serial: {REMOVED}

accel:

mac: {REMOVED}

sec: {REMOVED}

pcbsn: {REMOVED}

bootmode: main

postmode: normal
Yifan Lu: sec: {REMOVED} that's new
Yifan Lu: it looks like a password of some sort
Yifan Lu: I haven't seen it on the kindle 3 or kindle 2
ichinomoto ekesete: hmm, anyway try in diagmode
ichinomoto ekesete: system_diags[MainTest] 1 INFO : Start test

TEQUILA - System Diags

~~~~~~ 1.0.6.194 ~~~ -1094669432 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ S ~ Device Setting

O) Operator test suite

R) Run in Test

G) Gas Gauge

E) 511

T) Power Test

H) Adjust battery

M) MoviNand

N) Misc individual diagnostics

Y) ART 11g factory test

U) USB device mode

D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

X) Exit - FW RIGHT to exit

No USB/Charger found ... entering low power idle

mxc_rtc: saved=0x820 boot=0xa08

boot: I def:rbt:reset=user_reboot,version=000000:
Yifan Lu: first try U and see if it gives more options
Yifan Lu: then try M and see what other options
ichinomoto ekesete: system_diags[USB_DeviceModeTest] 1 INFO : Start test

testName = USBexport

export USB

Check USB_cable

TEQUILA - USB device mode

~~~~~~ 1.0.6.194 ~~~ 327739 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please connect the USB cable

from PC to the device

~ Q ~ to continue - FW LEFT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

X) Exit - FW RIGHT to exit
Yifan Lu: oh! I was just reading the kindle bootloader source
Yifan Lu: remember when you did setenv bootargs and nothing happened
Yifan Lu: it is because the kindle is designed to reset bootargs when booting in main mode
Yifan Lu: in uboot
Yifan Lu: do
Yifan Lu: idme bootmode none
Yifan Lu: setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw init=/bin/sh
Yifan Lu: bootm 0×41000
ichinomoto ekesete: it boots normal
Yifan Lu: after doing the idme commmand
Yifan Lu: do idme ? to check
Yifan Lu: that bootmode is set
ichinomoto ekesete: bootmode setting was changed.
ichinomoto ekesete: uboot > idme ?

accel:

bootmode: none

postmode: normal

uboot > setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw init=/bin/sh

uboot > bootm 0x41000
Yifan Lu: what if you add
Yifan Lu: idme postmode slow
Yifan Lu: along with idme bootmode none
Yifan Lu: do those two commands first
Yifan Lu: then reboot and use idme ?
Yifan Lu: to see that your settings are kept
Yifan Lu: then do the setenv
Yifan Lu: and bootm
Yifan Lu: even if it looks like a normal boot, wait until you see
Yifan Lu: BOOTING DEFAULT.

* argc == 10

* argv[0]: "kinit"

Yifan Lu: and so on
Yifan Lu: and see if your options are there
ichinomoto ekesete: idme postmode slow
ichinomoto ekesete: and reboot
Yifan Lu: along with setenv, right?
Yifan Lu: and idme bootmode none?
ichinomoto ekesete: then boot time until uboot is very slow.
ichinomoto ekesete: i miss the key hit timing. try once more
ichinomoto ekesete: uboot > idme ?

accel:

bootmode: none

postmode: slow
ichinomoto ekesete: BOOTING DEFAULT.

argc == 10

argv[0]: "kinit"

argvkjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

[1]: "consoleblank=0"

argv[2]EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.

: "rootwait"

argv[3]: "ro"

argv[4]: "ip=off"

argv[5]: "root=/dev/mmcblk0p1"

argv[6]: "debug"

argv[7]: "eink=fslepdc"

argv[8]: "video=mxcepdcfb:E60,bpp=8"

argv[9]: "console=ttymxc0,115200"

Running ipconfig

argc == 4

argv[0]: "IP-Config"

argv[1]: "-i"

argv[2]: "Linux kinit"

argv[3]: "ip=off"

IP-Config: no devices to configure

kinit: do_mounts
Yifan Lu: the problem is that your bootargs are not being read
Yifan Lu: ok, last thing I can think off
Yifan Lu: reboot
Yifan Lu: setenv bootargs $bootargs init=/bin/sh
Yifan Lu: bootm 0×41000
Yifan Lu: if that doesn't work
Yifan Lu: remember to reset your idme variables back to orignal values (after you're done so you can boot normally)
Yifan Lu: idme bootmode main
Yifan Lu: idme postmode normal
Yifan Lu: and thanks for your help
ichinomoto ekesete: it doesn't work...
Yifan Lu: oh well thanks anyways for your time
Yifan Lu: sorry, one more thing. when you are booting into diags, do you see: Press [ENTER] for recovery menu.
ichinomoto ekesete: ok
Yifan Lu: I have to go now, thanks again
Yifan Lu: if you want to play around, try to get option 3 in recovery menu to work
Yifan Lu: if you can get it to ask you for a password, I can get you the password
Yifan Lu: once you get option 3 to work on the recovery menu
Yifan Lu: you can modify the rootfs and dump it via usb
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #45
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
Does u-boot still have memory read/write commands? You could write an ATAG_CMDLINE directly.

Last edited by Matan; 10-25-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote