Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
collection manager

I am a Kindle 3 owner, and we really need a collection manager to manage the books on the Kindle. I was wondering if you guys have a collection manager for your readers? Not sure if it is relavant or how it works for you guys, but we make collection folders, for me I name them with the authors name, then I put all the books by that author in that collection. So when I turn on my Kindle, it shows me all of my collections by author name. So if I want to read Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett, I find the Terry Pratchett collection and open it, and then find that book.

Putting new books that you have added to your Kindle, from within the Kindle, is a pain. What we need is a program that works on the computer and lets us manage the books on the Kindle. I just got off the chat line with an Amazon rep, he has a Kindle, but he has ten books on it. I have 2800. He doesn't have a clue what I am talking about when I say we need a way to manage the collections.

So how do you guys with a lot of books, manage them on your ereader, or is that a valid question?
Lordblacknail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Putting new books that you have added to your Kindle, from within the Kindle, is a pain. What we need is a program that works on the computer and lets us manage the books on the Kindle.
I find those sentences contradictory, so I'll try addressing them discretely, second one first ...

Most folks here use Calibre (or the Sony software) to manage their books by tagging them (say "Pratchett"). After transfer the tags become "collections." When you activate a Sony from sleep mode, on the main screen you see a large thumbnail and info on the most recent book opened, with smaller ones for the last three loaded. You can then tap either "see all" to go to your entire device inventory, books currently reading first (opened), followed by unread books loaded, newest loads first. Or, you can tap "Collections" from the main screen, and bring up a list of all of them, tap on the one you want, and you'll go to the thumbnails of all of those books only.

From "within" the Sony (untethered), you can add new collections and delete existing ones, as well as add and delete a book to/from an existing collection. Say you added Men at Arms, but had forgotten to tag it on the computer. You can add it to "Pratchett" when you realize your omission later. Or, say, if I start a "Travel" book, feel it's really more a memoir, and decide I want to come back to it later, I'll add it to "Memoir" (or create a Memoir collection) and delete it from Travel - again, without using the computer at all.

We can have a the same book in more than one collection, but there are no sub-folders. Also, collections created on the device don't "take" when uploaded back to the PC - that's a one-way deal.

I hope that was helpful!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
meatcider
Grumpy
meatcider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
This is what I've found as well—the Kindle interface is clunky. It's like the developers have never seen any UIs before.

What SeaBookGuy described would go some way to solving a rather obvious failing (that should never have made it into production software), however so far I can't get that procedure to work with my K3.

However, a quick search revealed this gem for Calibre:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635
meatcider is offline   Reply With Quote