Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
semi-old
semi-old began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Kobo Wifi-Can NOT see books on SD Card

I followed the directions from the Instruction Manual, but book on SD Card is not visible to read.

I bought 2 Kobo Wifi ereaders so I could send free books to my 87 yr old Mother easily by sending her a new SD Card full of books. She reads really fast and it is time to send her more books to read but I can not see the books on my Kobo Wifi, how is she going to see them on her Kobo Wifi when I send her the SD Card?

Details:
Our readers are not full.
I tried with several SD Cards: 256mg, 1 gb, 8gb. I reformatted all of them after the first try, but that did not help.
I put one Free ebook on the SD Card to work with.
1. I insert SD Card.
2. Turn on Kobo Wifi
3. reader shows it is 'processing'
4. finally opens to "I am reading' screen.
5. I go to Books to look for the book on the SD Card, but the book is not there.

IF I take the SD Card out, the reader indicates that I have removed the SD Card and the books will no longer be available.
(Well I haven't been able to see it anyway!)

Can anyone help me? Yes, I did email Kobo Company but no answer.

Thank you for your time and help.
semi-old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
What if you insert the SD card while the Kobo is on?

Just making sure, the book is a DRM free ePub book?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
semi-old

Thank you for the suggestion.

I did try your idea of inserting the SD card when the reader was on, but to no avail.
I get a message, "..... Processing new content..."

When I go to Books to see the list of Books the one on the SD card is not there.

When I take the SD card out, I get a message: " You have removed the SD Card ....."

So the reader does recognize the card is there, but I can't see the book on it.

I did double check the book and added one I had just finished reading on this reader to make sure there was no problem. These books are free ePub DRM free.

I even tried the Reset on the back of the ereader, but that did not help.

What should I try next?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It may be something with the books. Could you please attach the books in an email to me? shasan at kobo dot com. I'll try and get you helped out.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-old View Post
Thank you for the suggestion.

I did try your idea of inserting the SD card when the reader was on, but to no avail.
I get a message, "..... Processing new content..."

When I go to Books to see the list of Books the one on the SD card is not there.

When I take the SD card out, I get a message: " You have removed the SD Card ....."

So the reader does recognize the card is there, but I can't see the book on it.

I did double check the book and added one I had just finished reading on this reader to make sure there was no problem. These books are free ePub DRM free.

I even tried the Reset on the back of the ereader, but that did not help.

What should I try next?

Where did you get the books from? Try a different book maybe, download a free eBook from the Mobile Read Memorial library.
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But remember, if there is a book on the card causing issues, I'm not sure if adding new books would result in them showing up either.

Best approach would be to remove ALL content from the SD card and then, add books back in one at a time, and allow the Kobo to process just the one new book each time.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired

Right, until you find the problem book. After you find the problem book, a ePub to ePub conversion in Calibre might fix it.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-11-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
semi-old

Thank you for your suggestions. I did erase the SD Card and loaded one book I had previously read on the Kobo Wifi, but it still can not be seen.
The books are Free from Project Gutenberg or Free from Feedbooks. Any book I put on the SD Card, I have been able to open on my laptop with Calibre.
Right the SD Card only has one book on it.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What happens if you put the book on the WiFi iteslf and NOT the SD card?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
semi-old

IF I put the book directly on the reader, then I can read it.

But the purpose of having the SD Card was to be able to download free books so I could send the SD card to my 87 yr old Mother who does NOT use computers and does not want to learn. She loves the reader but now I want to send her new books.
If the SD Card does not work in mine, I do not think it will work in hers. I purchased 2 readers just for this purpose. I did not want to be sending readers back and forth through the mail.

I live near Nashville, TN if anyone wants to look at it.

Otherwise the reader works great.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I understand you don't want it on the WiFi; I was just trying to see if the book itself was good or not.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I have been having the same issue. It's not the books its the device for me. Because sometimes it loads the book and other times it doesn't. I download from Archive.org too and I have never had an issue with the epubs there. I do realize there are thousands but I have an extensive collection of literature from there on a variety of topics. I have issues with epubs and pdfs mostly, and intermittent problems. I didn't experience problems until I upgraded to 1.9.12 and above.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
How did you reformat your sd cards? I have used sd association formatter in full over write mode getting good results. Other other formatting modes don't seem to work for kobo use. If you again have invisible book problem after loading new books it is caused by one of the books you just loaded. Past threads have explained how to fix such problem books. I just delete the problem book and look for the book from another source.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
semi-old

Thank you all for the advice. I try everything everyone suggests.

I did format all the SD Cards with Full Over Write Mode. I have also tried several different size SD Cards.

I understand what everyone is saying about one book could be causing the problem, but I have (long before posting to this site) deleted all books on the SD Cards and loaded only one book in ePub format that I had previously on the reader, did read and had deleted it. So I know the book is readable. I have also tried a book from the Mobile Read Library, (as was suggested) and could not see it on the Books List either.

I have downloaded with Calibre directly to the SD Card with the reader connected to the computer, I have copy and pasted a book to the SD Card (my favorite), I have used the Move file feature to the SD Card, and yes, I have properly 'ejected' the card from my computer each time. You can see I have tried to load the book many different ways onto the SD Card.

Glad to see I am not the only one with SD card issues!

Any ideas?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
semi-old

Kobo Desktop program shows the Version is 1.9 .

Tags
sd card not working