Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Looking for a third series

I like David Weber's series about Honor Harringtion and Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series. I am looking for a third series to go with these two, I like the idea of reading book series since the characters are developed over a long period time and/or a lot more characters can be developed then just one novel. What would you recommend as the third series?

For the life of me I simply can't see the similarities between the Honor Harringtion and Ring of Fire series. On is a future sci-fi with a strong female lead, the other is set in the past with no lead. I don't see the similarities between the two. Other than the fact that they were both written by men. Can you see the similarities between the two?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest David Weber's Safehold series and Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. Not all of the latter are currently available as ebooks though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest David Weber's Safehold series and Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. Not all of the latter are currently available as ebooks though.
I agree.
Also try John Ringo's Empire of Man Series
Eric Flint's Alternate History Belisarius Series
David Weber's War God Series
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Belisarius is interesting, I think I have a copy in my library, would be no sweat to read that and Empire of Man is certainly interesting. Since I liked Admiral Lady Dame Steadholder Dutchess Honor Haringtion the Empire of Man looks interesting.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series? Also from Baen, and (mostly) included on the cryoburn CD at fifthimperium.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I also enjoy David Weber's and Eric Flints novels.

You might like Sharon Lee's and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe novels.

The following link is to an omnibus which includes the first two novels in chronological order - they are excellent space operas.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1448-the...variation.aspx

There's also David Drake's Republic of Cinnibar Navy series - the first novels are in the Baen free library:

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-469-with...ightnings.aspx

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-258-lt-l...ommanding.aspx
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I like David Weber's series about Honor Harringtion and Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series. I am looking for a third series to go with these two, I like the idea of reading book series since the characters are developed over a long period time and/or a lot more characters can be developed then just one novel. What would you recommend as the third series?

For the life of me I simply can't see the similarities between the Honor Harringtion and Ring of Fire series. On is a future sci-fi with a strong female lead, the other is set in the past with no lead. I don't see the similarities between the two. Other than the fact that they were both written by men. Can you see the similarities between the two?
I'll always recommend Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. It's Urban Fantasy. Come visit The Dresden Files thread.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-25-2012 at 12:54 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

The similiarities are easy - they're both well written with well thought out and consistent universes - and they both actually develop characters over time.

So, given that, I'd suggest the Liaden Universe novels by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. And I'd personally suggest NOT starting in chronological order, but start with Agent of Change, the first novel written/published (the link is to an omnibus with the first two written in the series). Then, take a look at possible reading orders here.

It's an excellent series and one that has held up well over time. I recently reread the entire series and enjoyed it immensely.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Vatta's War and Serrano's Legacy, both by Elizabeth Moon
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Vatta's War and Serrano's Legacy, both by Elizabeth Moon
Good reads all. And the Serrano books are all from Baen, which is a good thing.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote