Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #76
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
You're correct but this is insignificant since it applies to almost all (if not all) of the eink readers.
It's not insignificant - it's exactly the info I was looking for a few months ago when comparing ebook readers.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #77
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
ARGH!!! I give up! (and have a feeling it will totally be a facepalm moment!) What is DRM?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #78
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
ARGH!!! I give up! (and have a feeling it will totally be a facepalm moment!) What is DRM?
DRM = "Digital Rights Management" it is various solutions used by publishers of ebooks (and software, and previously music and films) to limit your access to their products or dictate how they can be used. For example DRM can dictate which kind of device you can read the book on, how many devices, which specific devices, etc. DRM is also regularly responsible for people losing access to their library because of, for instance, having to reinstall their computer OS, or their (obsolete) device breaking and not being replaceable, or quite simply because the DRM content server or publisher decided to cut off access.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #79
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
DRM is "Digital Rights Management" or encryption. No facepalm required.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #80
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
DRM is "Digital Rights Management" or encryption.
thanks for the wiki link daffy.
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #81
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

uhhhh, ok, and thanks. Is there any sort of cookie sort of activity?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #82
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
uhhhh, ok, and thanks. Is there any sort of cookie sort of activity?
if the cookie activity you mean involves giving us a cookie for answering, i think there should be more of it.

if you mean a tracking cookie like some internet sites use, i believe it's a little more complex than that. usually, if i've understood correctly, drm is used to encrypt the file so that it cannot be opened without a specific key. the key can be contained in the device used to read the file, in the computer used to download the file, or in a program on that computer (for example, a MS Lit file with DRM can only be downloaded using MS Internet Explorer from a computer with an "activated" copy of the MS Lit reader application), and these keys are matched to keys encoded by the drm server. if the user's key is not present or doesn't match, the file cannot be opened.

it's rather complex and i don't know all the technical details but this is my understanding of the process.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #83
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
And you can download them directly to your Kindle via our Mobi download guide, available as one of the options on the ebbok link on the blue bar. This contains a regularly-updated index of our mobi/prc books, with links to an immediate download.
Freakin awesome!! Thank for point this out. I keep saying this, but ill say it again lol. The people at this site are awesome.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #84
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Or, it could stand for Don't Read Me...

Just sayin'...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #85
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

Just sayin'...
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #86
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:

Just sayin'...
i'm going to start giving that answer from now on.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it's rather complex and i don't know all the technical details but this is my understanding of the process.
Close enough.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #88
krisk
Wizard

Quote:

Just sayin'...
And there is the facepalm I was worried about!

But, yeah, with the cookie bit, when I read about stuff failing, dying, blowing up... whatever... I wondered if that was due to cookies.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #89
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
DRM is "Digital Rights Management" or encryption. No facepalm required.
In the music realm we're fond of referring to it as "Digital Repression Management"...

Being fairly new to e-books, it never occurred to me that DRM could be an issue. It's not a huge issue with me, I won't be likely to want to shift formats after I've purchased a book. With music, well the first thing I do with a CD is rip it so I can put it on my music server.

I can now understand why it's an issue with some people though. One hopes that eventually Big Content will wake up and realize what a waste DRM really is.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #90
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Currently, this wiki page says (about transferring converted documents wirelessly to the Kindle)

Quote:
To date no one had been charged for this service but that does not mean it won't happen in the future.
Is this true? I find that fascinating. Of course, you have to email 30 documents to get the charge, is it just that people haven't emailed that many? Or have people emailed MORE than 30 documents and STILL not been charged?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths