Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Kernel / Rootfs

I've just been reading through some past posts on here and in particular the KOReader wiki, I hadn't realised so much was now available for the kindle source wise from both amazon for the linux side and other projects for the UI/frontend.

I've seen a few threads with regards to rebuilding the kernel based on the amazon source release, but has anyone rebuilt the entire rootfs from source? I have 4NT but question applies to any eInk version.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I've just been reading through some past posts on here and in particular the KOReader wiki, I hadn't realised so much was now available for the kindle source wise from both amazon for the linux side and other projects for the UI/frontend.

I've seen a few threads with regards to rebuilding the kernel based on the amazon source release, but has anyone rebuilt the entire rootfs from source? I have 4NT but question applies to any eInk version.
No. That is all proprietary code.

There are three major groups of code :
Open Source whose license requires its release ;
Open Source whose license permits but does not require its release ;
Closed Source code.

Amazon only releases a major part of the first category.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi knc1, I wasn't talking about the amazon front end/reader and other items they've implemented, I meant the rootfs including udev/iptables/glib and other linux utils etc that are in the source snapshot.

Mainly has anyone taken that source release such that you can boot far enough to then launch kual/koreader using only the items source is available for?

From what I can see most of the source appears to be available although I haven't found any projects that have wrapped it all together. If there are still items missng what are they? For example, does Kual/KOReader make use of libs on the kindle that are closed source?

Trying to get an idea as to how close the kindle is to being used with fully open software. I'm not worried about losing access to any proprietary features that amazon have implemented such as reading DRM'd ebooks, using their cloud service, syncing page etc

Cheers.

Last edited by JoeD; 01-11-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling/clarification
Old 01-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JoeD: No, it's missing a rather large amount of things to build a real linux embedded distro. You're better off using buildroot, scratchbox or something like that for that purpose.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-11-2015 at 10:32 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
JoeD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JoeD: No, it's missing a rather large amount of things to build a real linux embedded distro. You're better off using buildroot, scratchbox or something like that for that purpose.
That's pretty much what I was asking in my first post, I guess I worded it poorly

I don't care if the source used comes from Amazon's dump, other projects, or a combination. I'm just trying to find out if there's currently enough out there to build a kernel for the kindle + rootfs that's capable of launching a project like kual/koreader and whether anyone has done so.

If that's possible via the buildroot or scratchbox route without having to include any closed source blobs, do you have any links/pointers to more information on this?
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JoeD: KUAL is inherently tied to the Amazon java framework, so that's no-go from the start.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JoeD: KUAL is inherently tied to the Amazon java framework, so that's no-go from the start.
That's a shame. Cheers for the answers.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
All KUAL does is launch stuff, which is otherwise difficult on a closed UI.
If you are building your own system to run on the Kindle, you can do the sane thing and use basic desktop specs.
Which will be faster than running a java app in order to invoke shellscripts...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
- - - -
If that's possible via the buildroot or scratchbox route without having to include any closed source blobs, do you have any links/pointers to more information on this?
iMX6 is a supported arch. in Buildroot -
See the on-line manual for all there is that is written about BR.
Also, join the mailing list and follow along on how things are done.
I have hired Google to keep all of my links for me.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I have hired Google to keep all of my links for me.
Pulling no punches, as usual, I see. This is a new one.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #11
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Twobob has a buildroot tree on github used to compile stuff, just not the whole tree? Im just learning about buildroot now... Id love to see a complete project.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

The ARM-HardFloat libraries and sample applications where generated by Buildroot.

The ability to specify non-standard library locations was added to BR at my request.
Also the ability to build a host version of patchelf.

Another little project of mine that I probably will never have time to complete.
BUT - it does demonstrate how to run two different sets of system libraries concurrently (and one of them from /mnt/us/{bin,lib} ).
(or /mnt/us/system/{bin, lib} - wherever it was that I built them for. )