Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
mark.r
Edge User

My new Woot! PE has arrived

Woohoo!

I powered it up, set it up, and immediately updated to ermine with no issues whatsoever. Tonight will be spent playing with it to see if everything works right- so far everything I've tried works fine. No green tint on the camera, wireless connected to my home and school networks with no trouble, touch screens are very responsive, and the OS runs fast. Even DL'd apps from the store.

More later.

MR

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
kahli6
Edge User

Question Got my red one that I wooted also, now tell me..

I have not navigated all the forums yet, but I think I just read something that might have been a deal killer for me, if I had known it before I wooted. The e-ink side can only be used for book bought from the Entourage site? I was hoping I could use all those epubs I have on Calibre and it seems like .... I can't?

Cute little tablet, though. Easier to carry around than my iPad1 but sure was hoping it could replace the Kindle3 for some things, too.

Pretty good speaker sound for such a small gadget. Pandora sounds ok.

ah well-- maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't figure it out yet.

Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

I spent an awful lot of time writing the "Welcome Basket" posts in the General Discussion forum. Perhaps you might trouble yourself to read them?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
mark.r
Edge User

You can load books via calibre. Open Calibre, plug in the reader, turn on USB storage using the reader's android screen. Calibre will detect the reader as noted by the icon on the top bar in Calibre. Click on any epub book in your library and hit the send to device button. You can DL books from anywhere and add them to your Calibre library.

I think you can even send books as attachments to email (I haven't tried yet).

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.r View Post
You can load books via calibre. Open Calibre, plug in the reader, turn on USB storage using the reader's android screen. Calibre will detect the reader as noted by the icon on the top bar in Calibre. Click on any epub book in your library and hit the send to device button. You can DL books from anywhere and add them to your Calibre library.

I think you can even send books as attachments to email (I haven't tried yet).
You can use Dropbox too.

Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
mark.r
Edge User

The gmail attachment worked.

I attached a book to a gmail message and DL'd it on the PE. The PE locked up during the DL, but after hitting the reset button the book was there and readable.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
kahli6
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I spent an awful lot of time writing the "Welcome Basket" posts in the General Discussion forum. Perhaps you might trouble yourself to read them?
Wow. I just said that I was excited about getting it and saw that someone else just got their Wooted new PE too. This was the first thread I saw and replied to it. Sorry if I broke some forum rule by not reading from Thread One.

What a friendly welcome.... Not....

Last edited by kahli6; 05-10-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahli6 View Post
Wow. I just said that I was excited about getting it and saw that someone else just got their Wooted new PE too. This was the first thread I saw and replied to it. Sorry if I broke some forum rule by not reading from Thread One.

What a friendly welcome.... Not....
If it was your "first thread" then where exactly did you read "The e-ink side can only be used for book bought from the Entourage site"? I should hope not on these forums...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
mark.r
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.r View Post
I attached a book to a gmail message and DL'd it on the PE. The PE locked up during the DL, but after hitting the reset button the book was there and readable.
I tried with another file and the DL went fine, no lock-up.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
kahli6
Edge User

Quote:
If it was your "first thread" then where exactly did you read "The e-ink side can only be used for book bought from the Entourage site"? I should hope not on these forums...
There was a question mark after that sentence, not a quote. It was questioning whether--- but never mind. I can figure this out without a forum. This was the first thread I saw on this forum. It linked from a page on the front of the site. geez. forget it- carry on.

But please take a look- it was a question- first and last here, you can bet on that.

Mark.r-- thanks for the information! Sorry to get your happy thread all off track.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
netrobot
Edge User

Yeah, the Woot PEs are arriving -- get ready for the onslaught. Do you guys want people to ask questions in separate threads, or just have one thread become a cat rodeo?

So far, I've verified that my barcode reader works, and a cheesy wireless keyboard works (with a USB dongle). Ermine seems to have landed without a splat.

I have some interesting news, and a question.
The interesting news is that after upgrading to Ermine, when I go into eDGe preferences, I see under Update Location, /cache/update.zip Would this be an ERMINE Golden Update? Once rooted, wouldn't I be able to copy that file off?

The question is: I horsed around with the browser, told the eInk side to display an image of the page, then rotated it. Long story short, the eInk side is HUNG. I tried to clear it by opening the fact sheet pdf in Library, but it does nothing. Is there an approved REBOOT procedure short of just powering the unit off and back on?

While I'm asking foolish questions...
Is there a way i can use the tablet keyboard in landscape mode to enter text into a note on the eInk side? If not, can I stylus-type on the eInk side and edit text in Note Pad (on the tablet side)?
If I'm reading a book on the eInk side, and want to save power, can I turn off the tablet screen or do I have to let it timeout?
I managed to get the Widgets menu up, and got several of the same one on the screen (mute dim bright bluetooth and lock) and don't know how to get rid of them. How do you DELETE widgets?
More to come I'm sure!

Thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
mark.r
Edge User

Delete widget: press and hold it, the app browser ( the big "X" in the lower portion of the screen) will turn into a trash can- drag the widget to it and drop it. It will delete it from the desktop but not from the device.

There is a reset button on the top edge of the e-ink side of the device. It will reset the whole machine and you will lose unsaved work, so use it judiciously.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
goodspeech
Edge User

You can turn off the tablet by using the widget that looks like a lock. The reader stays on. When I have a problem with the reader, I long press the bottom button on the reader side to turn off the screen. I reopen the document then.
As for the typing, just experiment.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Hey borisb, perhaps you could make a new sticky thread with the subject line: "PLEASE READ THE WELCOME MESSAGES FIRST" or something to that effect. It's definitely tiresome to read the same questions over and over again, and I didn't even write the welcome basket posts!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
paula-t
Edge User

Dear Kahli6, dear Mark-r and the other Wooters:

Welcome to the forum!

This forum is the most amazing and helpful place, and Boris, who does not work for Entourage, and many other experienced fellows here are unusually intelligent and generous mentors and tutors, who share a huge load of knowledge with everyone day after day.

If you are patient enough to search into threads along the forum, you will find the great Welcome Baskets Boris prepared for us, and a treasury of tips, solved issues, useful suggestions and app reviews for your benefit.

But if you are impatient, you will also get your answers (probably referring you to the threads with the relevant information).

This place is hosted by Entourage but not run by Entourage. Users keep this forum together based on good will and enthusiasm, although you will occasionally see that someone proposes to do nasty things to your teeth with a drill to practice dentristry as a hobby. (This is just to entice you to search and read the threads, and have fun, while you beware of drills).

If you are not an American, perhaps you could tell us where you are based, as we are trying to map where the PE and EE users are distributed worldwide, in an attempt to make small regional networks sharing ISP information, places to buy and deliver accesories, and Edge reception within our communities. I, for instance, live in Latin America, so I am trying to share impressions with other users in my region (and so far, we are just two!)

This community is very diverse, and it is generally self-regulated, self-learned... and self-less.

Enjoy and feel welcome!
After all, we all wrote our first thread, and in my case, not such a long time ago!