Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
amocus
amocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: K4Black, PW1
KT reboots and goes back to one state

Hello, I have a problem with Kindle Touch.
I’ve red about debricking with Kubrick and MfgTool – I tried both with no success but let me start from the beggining.

When I got KT it was registered.
Software version 5.3.7.2
My OS: Win 7 x64

Symptoms: Kindle restart while reading or even while navigating through books/settings.
I managed to connect it to wifi and unregister it. But after a moment it restarted itself and it’s registered as before!
There is 122 books on the device. If I delete some of them and there will be restart (made manualy or by itself) – BUM! all books are back.
When I don't do anything with the device it doesn't reboot.

If I reset the device to factory default - I get the same (registered Kindle with 122 books on it).
If I delete books using PC - same story - after reboot everything is back as before.
I think during reboot it loads all this informations (registration, books, other settings) from some kind of image.

I tried Kubrick - the device isn't going into diagnostic mode after leaving fastboot. So there is info on PC screen that in a moment Kindle will go into diagnostic mode and Kindle reboots and shows thats it's in USB Drive Mode with info, that it's currently not charging battery. Kubrick is waiting for me to enable networking but I can't click anything as tehre is no menu. All I can do is unplug USB cable and after this there is normal main kindle screen with list of books.

I tried MfgTool - after writing diags, diags_kernel and kernel (main) I do 'fastboot setvar bootmode diags' and 'fastboot reboot' and again - it reboots back to the main screen. Just like in Kubrick. And again I think it doesn't go to diag mode because it loads some kind of partition image where is no 'fastboot setvar bootmode diags' option enabled (os simply there is no ENABVLE_DIAGS file on drive). I was always using images with SSH but I think it doesn't matter as when rebooting Kindle is loading some kind of it's own image (probably without SSH).

I can make it go straight to diags mode with MfgTool, but after uploading mmcblk0p1.img image and going down the manual at the end I get this new network adapter, I set IP address but when I try connecting with putty to 192.168.15.244 I get Connection error: Connection refused.

I don't have any more ideas what to do. You are my only hope
Have you ever seen anything like this? Do you have any idea what else should I try?
Thanks for any help

EDIT:
Device isn't jailbroken (tried screensaver hack - error 007).
Firmware downgrade didn't help - after reboot it is still 5.3.7.2.

Last edited by amocus; 01-04-2015 at 08:53 AM.
amocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
TBennettcc
TBennettcc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
A link to your other post: Hello there

What were the original problems with the two kindles you used parts from?
TBennettcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBennettcc View Post
A link to your other post: Hello there

What were the original problems with the two kindles you used parts from?
KK != KT
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 AM   #4
amocus
amocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueamocus can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

In my welcome message I mentioned KK because that's the one I'm using to read. In this thread I wanted to ask for help witk KT.

There is something about this KT I didn't mension before and maybe it's important - web browser doesn't work. When I want to open web browser a windows pops out saying "Application Error. The selected application could not be started. Please try again." When I try to register KT to my account - I can't enter email addres nor password. I can only tick "hide password" and "cancel" button is working. When I want to create new amazon account from KT - Application Error. I'm not sure but I think that even if I solve web browser error it will come back after restart as all settings are loaded from some kind of image during restart.

About KK I will answer in PW
Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds like the userstore may be broken and getting mounted read-only, although I don't know why kubrick doesn't work.
Try reformatting the userstore.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
amocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Try reformatting the userstore.
The user store is a drive I can see when I connect Kindle to PC, right?
I can put files on it (that is how I tried downgrading - putting some files enabled "Update Your Kindle" option so Kindle OS can see new files on this drive). I can also remove files from this store while connected to PC. So it doesn't look like RO.

OK, I can try formatting but what with the 'system' and 'ttf' folders? I can backup them before format but will it boot properly without 'system' folder to let me put them back?

Kubrick doesn't work because after a reboot (from fastboot to diags), info about going to diags disappears.

Last edited by amocus; 01-05-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I thought you said any files you put in the userstore (correct, that is Drive E: or whatever else appears with the label "Kindle") have no effect and reappear after a while? Hence my suspicion it is broken somehow.

The "system" folder is inconsequential (it contains thumbnails of your books, various acx stuff, and other miscellany for the reader framework -- not the OS, that is in a hidden partition not exported to the computer -- but it will all be recreated as needed), but the tts folder will be lost. You may want to back that up if you plan on having your Kindle read to you with Text-to-speech. Also note that if kubrick actually starts working, it can replace missing tts files.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 AM   #8
amocus

Files reappear after a reset. If I put or delete some files - after a reset everything is back as it was before modifying.

I formated user store - quick format and when it didn't change anything also full format, fat32. Than I safely ejected Kindle from my PC. Books were still on the list (maybe it didn't have enought time to refresh it). I pressed menu and it hang for a moment and reseted itself. It took him some more time (progress bar was starting from zero few times) and now it's back as before - all files and folders are back, 122 books are back, everything is back like there was no formatting

Last edited by amocus; 01-06-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:40 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by amocus View Post
Files reappear after a reset. If I put or delete some files - after a reset everything is back as it was before modifying.

I formated user store - quick format and when it didn't change anything also full format, fat32. Than I safely ejected Kindle from my PC. Books were still on the list (maybe it didn't have enought time to refresh it). I pressed menu and it hang for a moment and reseted itself. It took him some more time (progress bar was starting from zero few times) and now it's back as before - all files and folders are back, 122 books are back, everything is back like there was no formatting
You are describing a bad eMMC (flash hardware) chip.

Replace the bad chip (requires special tools) or consider that Kindle as spare parts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
amocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Replace the bad chip (requires special tools) or consider that Kindle as spare parts.
By replacing you mean soldering it out and putting new one in it's place?