Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer eBooks to be Full Justified or Left Justified
I prefer reading eBooks that are Full Justified. 90 51.43%
I prefer reading eBooks that are Left Justified. 85 48.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Full Justified or Left Justified?

How do you prefer to have your eBooks formatted? Do you prefer full justified where the lines end in the same place to give a consistent look or do you prefer left justified where you get a ragged right?

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2013 at 02:07 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Left is fine. I am not that anal that I need full justification.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I prefer ragged right. Full justification can have some strange typographical artifaces, unless your rendering engine is *very* good.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Hmm this is a good question. I guess I like them justified in hard copy books, however on e-readers it leads to some weird spacing within a line sometimes, so maybe on e-readers left justified.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Left aligned for me
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You forgot the "Do you even really notice?" option.

I have no preference. Unless someone were to ask me to check the book I was reading right now, it just usually never occurs to me. Once I'm in the groove, the only thing that will distract me is lengthy sections entirely italicized (That makes me focus extra hard and I end up gritting my teeth if it goes on for any length. "C'mon!! It can't all need to be emphasized! Let up already!")

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2013 at 02:42 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
As I expected before hitting the vote button, I think it's going to a pretty much 50/50 split or close to it.

I prefer full justified, even though my Sony readers don't hyphenate so there are occasional chunks of white, probably more so on my 5" screen with a larger bold font then there would be on a 6" screen with a normal font. That doesn't bother me at all. The jagged right edge does bother me though.

But everyone's preference is going to be different. I know some who insist on putting a space between paragraphs which I absolutely hate more than left justified. But it's their choice. If a book isn't to your liking, it's really a simple matter to change it to your preferences with great free tools like Calibre and Sigil, or some readers might be able to change margins, font, spacing, justification on the fly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You forgot the "Do you even really notice?" option.

I have no preference. Unless someone were to ask me to check the book I was reading right now, it just usually never occurs to me. Once I'm in the groove, the only thing that will distract me is lengthy sections entirely italicized (That makes me focus extra hard and I end up gritting my teeth if it goes on for any length. "C'mon!! It can't all need to be emphasized! Let up already!")
I didn't forget. I want the answer to be one or the other. I don't want a doesn't matter type answer.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If a book isn't to your liking, it's really a simple matter to change it to your preferences with great free tools like Calibre and Sigil, or some readers might be able to change margins, font, spacing, justification on the fly.
I just said it somewhere else: Those who don't care ... don't care. Those who do care, are going to change it the way they like it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I didn't forget. I want the answer to be one or the other. I don't want a doesn't matter type answer.
Well sure ... nothing like seeing who wins the battle between the more manageable number of extremists.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Strongly prefer fully justified. Also prefer no line between paragraphs, but can tolerate it as long as the paragraphs are indented. Calibre does a great job formatting books the way one wants.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Strongly prefer fully justified. Also prefer no line between paragraphs, but can tolerate it as long as the paragraphs are indented. Calibre does a great job formatting books the way one wants.
Given the way I've seen a lot of publisher made eBooks, Calibre could get the spacing wrong and the section break space could be removed and that's not good. Use Sigil to fix the things you don't like.

I too prefer no line spaces, indents, and full justification. It just looks better and it doesn't have all those white space that distracts the eyes as you are reading.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given the way I've seen a lot of publisher made eBooks, Calibre could get the spacing wrong and the section break space could be removed and that's not good. Use Sigil to fix the things you don't like.
"Use my way to achieve your personal preference ... it's better than yours."
Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Use my way to achieve your personal preference ... it's better than yours."
The problem is that a lot of publisher eBooks use code like <p>&nsbp;</p> or <p class="someclass"> </p> to do a section break. It's not always easy for Calibre to get it right and keep the section break looking like a section break.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too prefer no line spaces, indents, and full justification. It just looks better and it doesn't have all those white space that distracts the eyes as you are reading.
Doesn't it depend what you're reading? You probably don't want to have poetry fully justified, for example, do you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Left is fine. I am not that anal that I need full justification.
Apache
I'm not a lefty. I need to justify everything!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote