Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
permutations
permutations began at the beginning.

Device: Loox 720
problem with PDB file I created (Palm eReader, B&N)

Is there a validation tool somewhere for PDB files?

I created ebook versions of my book in a variety of formats for distribution through Ingram, and they are having problems with the PDB file.

At the risk of starting a firestorm, I will tell you that the problem is in encrypting the file. Their system just says it can't be encrypted, but gives no other error message so I don't know how to fix it.

DIGRESSION--

I put off releasing digital versions of my book for months because I couldn't decide what to do about the DRM-piracy issue. On one hand I don't like DRM, and on the other hand I simply can't afford to be ripped off.

What I finally decided to do was release it with DRM through the usual channels, and then offer it unprotected from my own Web site at some point in the future (after I finish writing the download code).

--END OF DIGRESSION

Back to the topic... I am concerned that there is something wrong with my PDB file - though it displays fine in both eReader and the B&N reader. It's handcoded. Is there a way to validate it? Why would Ingram be unable to encrypt it?

Thank you.
permutations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
How are you creating the PDB file? PDB is a container which can hold a number of different formats. What type of PDB does Ingram want? If it's an eReader formatted PDB then anything you create with Dropbook will be valid. There is no validator tool for eReader formatted PDB files because the format is proprietary. If you are creating an eReader PDB file with calibre than that may not work because it does not produce 100% perfect files. It just produces ones that will work with the desktop software (I'm told there are issues with some reading on some mobile versions of the software).
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
If it's an eReader formatted PDB then anything you create with Dropbook will be valid.
Note that Calibre can output a PML file, rather than a PDB file, and this can presumably be input to Dropbook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
urbane_gorilla
urbane_gorilla began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hello Karma (and anyone else who knows!)

Will openinkpot read Palm files ((PDB, I think) created by Plucker? It's one of the best pieces of software that I have come across - the only problem is using a Palm device to read the output, the screen size is about the size of a dog biscuit and cannot be used in strong daylight.
urbane_gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane_gorilla View Post
Will openinkpot read Palm files ((PDB, I think) created by Plucker?
Plucker files are listed on the OI Wiki as a supported format, but not considered as a format with priority support.

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/SupportedFormats
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
drm, encryption, pdb, validation