Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Oops... wrong thread. Deleted...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That is a big difference in text contrast! They have improved something. Wow I want yours. Mine has such bad contrast. *sigh*
It looks like Amazon increased the font weight slightly to help with the contrast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@AintLDS: You mentioned the FW version is the same as the 'old' K4, what about the device code (S/N prefix)? Is it still B00E?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I like the darker look but not enough for me to change my existing K4NT
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I like the darker look but not enough for me to change my existing K4NT
My silver K4 already has a black bezel. I have it in a black Marware SportGrip cover. The silicone is well made and is form fitted for the K4. It works great and is nice 'n grippy.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My silver K4 already has a black bezel. I have it in a black Marware SportGrip cover. The silicone is well made and is form fitted for the K4. It works great and is nice 'n grippy.
I use a black silicone cover on my K5 and then place it in a generic leather cover. I hated that silver look and glare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K5.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	92084  
Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #37
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@AintLDS: You mentioned the FW version is the same as the 'old' K4, what about the device code (S/N prefix)? Is it still B00E?
Mine is B023.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
The pictures look great AintLDS. Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome!
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've decided to buy the new K4 after I sell my K3. I love the little reader so to have one in black is worth it to me. I am going to get a PW when they come out but I seldom use the K3 and I have come to dislike it's shiny glass finish.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #40
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've decided to buy the new K4 after I sell my K3. I love the little reader so to have one in black is worth it to me. I am going to get a PW when they come out but I seldom use the K3 and I have come to dislike it's shiny glass finish.
All my K3s have a matte finish. Do you have a shiny screen protector?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #41
geekmaster

Quote:
All my K3s have a matte finish. Do you have a shiny screen protector over it?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
All my K3s have a matte finish. Do you have a shiny screen protector over it?
No screen protector, it's just I can see myself in it at times. It's kind of annoying.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like Amazon increased the font weight slightly to help with the contrast.
That could be checked with a screen shot. But is seems very unlikely, since they have identical firmware.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
geekmaster

Quote:
No screen protector, it's just I can see myself in it at times. It's kind of annoying.
Okay. I just compared the reflectivity of the matte finish on a K3 and a K4. When holding the K4 so that I could see the light from a window across the room reflected off it, the reflection was a large round blob the width of the screen. When I did that with the K3, the reflection was smaller and definitely a fuzzy rectangle shape, but no obvious reflections other than that.

I suppose that reading outside with sky reflections could be more of an issue. I hold my devices to minimize reflections, and my K3 matte finish is much less annoying than the shiny finish that my nexus 7 has.

So, it appears that the K4 has more diffuse matte finish than the K3, but I never noticed until now.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Okay. I just compared the reflectivity of the matte finish on a K3 and a K4. When holding the K4 so that I could see the light from a window across the room reflected off it, the reflection was a large round blob the width of the screen. When I did that with the K3, the reflection was smaller and definitely a fuzzy rectangle shape, but no obvious reflections other than that.

I suppose that reading outside with sky reflections could be more of an issue. I hold my devices to minimize reflections, and my K3 matte finish is much less annoying than the shiny finish that my nexus 7 has.

So, it appears that the K4 has more diffuse matte finish than the K3, but I never noticed until now.
It does depending on the lighting. My bedroom light is a position in front of me on the ceiling. So it gives the K3 a glassy look. The K4 doesn't have this issue.

You want to talk about shiny! The Kindle Fire is a mirror, I use it to check my teeth.