Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Oddly enough, grep doesn't appear to be present on my Vox. I presume it should be in /system/bin?

I downloaded busybox installer and used busybox grep instead.

Where might one get grep, since it would be easier to use it directly?

Keith

Last edited by kcarscadden; 11-12-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: correct to busybox installer
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
Oddly enough, grep doesn't appear to be present on my Vox. I presume it should be in /system/bin?

I downloaded busybox installer and used busybox grep instead.

Where might one get grep, since it would be easier to use it directly?

Keith
Not being an Android user (yet) have you looked at the BusyBox FAQ:
Quote:
Installing Busybox

If the Busybox executable is renamed to one of the commands it supports, it will act as that command automatically:
Code:
 ln -s busybox pwd
 ./pwd
This allows you to create a bunch of symlinks or hardlinks to the Busybox executable, add them to your $PATH, and let a single Busybox provide a standard set of command line tools. The --list option to busybox gives the list of supported commands in an easily scriptable form. (The --list-full option gives full paths, such as usr/sbin/test, to help create a Busybox-based root filesystem.)
Code:
 mkdir bbdir
 for i in $(busybox --list)
 do
   ln -s busybox bbdir/$i
 done
To launch Busybox's built in command shell with the $PATH giving access to just Busybox's built-in commands:
Code:
 PATH=$(pwd)/bbdir bbdir/sh
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #33
0b3d1ah
0b3d1ah began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Great guides!

But I have an issue....

I must type "SU" in connect bot or I get "permission denied'.

Once I type "SU", then if I enter your command, I get : "grep: not found"

Please help!
0b3d1ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #34
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0b3d1ah View Post
Great guides!

But I have an issue....

I must type "SU" in connect bot or I get "permission denied'.

Once I type "SU", then if I enter your command, I get : "grep: not found"

Please help!

Try "su", small case. If that still doesn't work, then you've got one of two problems. Either Superuser isn't installed (you did root your Vox, right?) or it's been set to automatically deny permission to your terminal program. In which case you just open Superuser, double tap on the entry for your terminal of choice and hit "forget".
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
0b3d1ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Try "su", small case. If that still doesn't work, then you've got one of two problems. Either Superuser isn't installed (you did root your Vox, right?) or it's been set to automatically deny permission to your terminal program. In which case you just open Superuser, double tap on the entry for your terminal of choice and hit "forget".
Yes, I rooted the Vox and connect bot appears in Super User with allow permissions. I removed it and the re authorized it when it asked. I still get the exact same results. Not sure where I am going wrong. I have included a couple of screen shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SU.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	79023

Click image for larger version

Name:	grep.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	79024
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #36
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0b3d1ah View Post
Yes, I rooted the Vox and connect bot appears in Super User with allow permissions. I removed it and the re authorized it when it asked. I still get the exact same results. Not sure where I am going wrong. I have included a couple of screen shots.
grep is not included on the Vox. Install Busybox - it includes grep. Busybox is one of the apps included in Jeff's best apps in thread jefftheworld's Best App Package!

Keith

Last edited by kcarscadden; 11-15-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: fix spelling
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #37
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Yeah, it's part of busybox. Either way, the grep commands are not required. It's just as confirmation that you're doing it right.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #38
0b3d1ah

Cool thanks!

It worked without grep :-)

My Vox is now free of bloatware. Thanks for the great guides and all the help.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #39
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Just a quick question re: rooting. If you root the device, can kobo software updates still be installed? Will the device need to be re-rooted after installing such an update as the imminent one we are hearing about? Thanks.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #40
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Hate bumping my own post but does anyone know the relationship between rooting and the kobo updates? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #41
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Hate bumping my own post
Vampire, behold! Don't you eat that kitten!

Just run Gingerbreak again.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #42
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Thanks a lot, hieronymos, that makes sense!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #43
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Dunno, but I generally unroot devices or unjailbreak before I run any firmware updates, to avoid issues with system files not being upgraded to the correct version. If you used Gingerbreak, just open the app, click "Unroot Device", wait for it to restart, then apply the update and use the 'Root Device' option once the updates are done.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #44
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I didn't think of that before updating. I had to reroot and remove all the apps I had removed before update.

Last edited by Jesslynne; 11-25-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: vox autocorrecting..
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #45
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Yeah, quite possibly it is safer to "unroot" prior to an update. That's annoying that you have to re-remove apps after an update though.