Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #166
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
LOL, for some reason I read that very literally, and imagined a bunch of blue polo shirts tackling you as you came in just to browse. I think my post-lunch coffee hit the bloodstream. That's curious, though. I wonder if Lenovo has an embargo on when it can be released into the wild? Or it'll rock their world out of orbit if you try to buy it in store after ordering.
Hahaha! That would be too good...SECURITY!!!!!

Well, now I'm having second thoughts, though. My sister got a Kindle Fire, while its very cool, it's weighty to hold. I think the Lenovo will be just as heavy, if not heavier. I wanted this to read in bed. Thought this would be better than a Kindle or Nook with a light attached, but now I think I was wrong. The Kindle or Nook would be lighter and easier to hold in bed, so I'll probably wind up getting a Touch too. I can always return the Lenovo if I don't like it, but I'm pretty sure I will. I'm gadget junkie, well a cheap gadget junkie ;-)...can't afford $700 for the Ipad.
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #167
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
LesRS, don't worry about the weight. My Flyer is 20 grams heavier than the Lenovo, I have weak wrists, and it doesn't bother me at all. Even though my case adds a little weight, it made it even easier to hold (better gripping, never cold).

I'd say the A1 is far better than the Fire, simply because even at the same price, you're getting a true Android tablet with expandable storage. You won't have the Amazon carousel, but you can still watch stuff on Amazon if you're a Prime member, download apps (from pretty much anywhere), etc.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #168
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Stockoneder - or anyone else who knows - what kind of charging cord does the A1 use and is it a proprietory cord? It looks like a micro USB but will it work with any micro USB cord?
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #169
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesRS View Post
Hahaha! That would be too good...SECURITY!!!!!

Well, now I'm having second thoughts, though. My sister got a Kindle Fire, while its very cool, it's weighty to hold. I think the Lenovo will be just as heavy, if not heavier. I wanted this to read in bed. Thought this would be better than a Kindle or Nook with a light attached, but now I think I was wrong. The Kindle or Nook would be lighter and easier to hold in bed, so I'll probably wind up getting a Touch too. I can always return the Lenovo if I don't like it, but I'm pretty sure I will. I'm gadget junkie, well a cheap gadget junkie ;-)...can't afford $700 for the Ipad.
Not trying to steer you toward Apple. This is just a price correction. You can get a brand new iPad2 for $499.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #170
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL, for some reason I read that very literally, and imagined a bunch of blue polo shirts tackling you as you came in just to browse. I think my post-lunch coffee hit the bloodstream. That's curious, though. I wonder if Lenovo has an embargo on when it can be released into the wild? Or it'll rock their world out of orbit if you try to buy it in store after ordering.
I think Best Buy just doesn't want to deal with people coming in before the product is available. That takes up everyone's time and makes for dissatisfaction. (i.e. a poor customer experience!)
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #171
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Well, now I'm having second thoughts, though. My sister got a Kindle Fire, while its very cool, it's weighty to hold. I think the Lenovo will be just as heavy, if not heavier. I wanted this to read in bed. Thought this would be better than a Kindle or Nook with a light attached, but now I think I was wrong. The Kindle or Nook would be lighter and easier to hold in bed, so I'll probably wind up getting a Touch too. I can always return the Lenovo if I don't like it, but I'm pretty sure I will.
How do you read in bed? For me, an external light source is not good, as I like to prop the device up against either my partner's pillow (if he's not in bed) or one of the stuffed animals (if he is). The clip-on light is then in the way of the screen or getting stuck with all the other stuffed animals (or partner) in bed. I generally don't read while laying on my back, so I almost never hold it. And with my Flyer I've got this nice cover so I can turn it on its side and don't even need something to prop it up against! (remember to turn off the auto rotation if you prefer reading in portrait, even when laying on your side and keeping your device landscape-wise )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #172
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

I've tried reading on my back and side with my Iphone. The Lenovo is going to be alot bigger, so we will see. I'll be picking it up this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How do you read in bed? For me, an external light source is not good, as I like to prop the device up against either my partner's pillow (if he's not in bed) or one of the stuffed animals (if he is). The clip-on light is then in the way of the screen or getting stuck with all the other stuffed animals (or partner) in bed. I generally don't read while laying on my back, so I almost never hold it. And with my Flyer I've got this nice cover so I can turn it on its side and don't even need something to prop it up against! (remember to turn off the auto rotation if you prefer reading in portrait, even when laying on your side and keeping your device landscape-wise )
Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #173
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I'll be picking it up this afternoon.

But wait ... didn't they tell you not before Nov. 22? Are you daring the blue shirts to tackle you? I want video!

Or maybe it just came faster than they estimated. Some businesses will do that - get a long estimate, that way the customer's pretty darn happy when it comes early.

Now my other half is: "I want a tablet!" "I want an ereader!" Then I ask if that's what he wants for Christmas and to tell me now before I get his other gift I'd planned on. Then he decides he doesn't want/need/or will use any of those things, pbooks are cool, ebooks are dumb. Sigh. I'm about to hand him his mother's Kobo (haven't wrapped it yet, still loading books I come across on it) and let him play with it. I know he won't like it, it's the wifi, not touch, and he'll get frustrated that it won't bend to his will. But maybe it'll let him know if he wants a more expensive reader or go tablet (except he doesn't like the iPad ...)

I'm half tempted to get him the A1, since he keeps trying to take my Flyer (iPad's too big, he has one for work and doesn't like the size), but then he's going to be jealous that I have the better specs. I can't put up with that, or really afford that gift, unless I give him a taste of his own medicine and say I'll contribute to his tablet but he can't open until Christmas (he tried that with the Flyer).
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #174
LesRS
Enthusiast

Quote:

But wait ... didn't they tell you not before Nov. 22? Are you daring the blue shirts to tackle you? I want video!

Or maybe it just came faster than they estimated. Some businesses will do that - get a long estimate, that way the customer's pretty darn happy when it comes early.

Now my other half is: "I want a tablet!" "I want an ereader!" Then I ask if that's what he wants for Christmas and to tell me now before I get his other gift I'd planned on. Then he decides he doesn't want/need/or will use any of those things, pbooks are cool, ebooks are dumb. Sigh. I'm about to hand him his mother's Kobo (haven't wrapped it yet, still loading books I come across on it) and let him play with it. I know he won't like it, it's the wifi, not touch, and he'll get frustrated that it won't bend to his will. But maybe it'll let him know if he wants a more expensive reader or go tablet (except he doesn't like the iPad ...)

I'm half tempted to get him the A1, since he keeps trying to take my Flyer (iPad's too big, he has one for work and doesn't like the size), but then he's going to be jealous that I have the better specs. I can't put up with that, or really afford that gift, unless I give him a taste of his own medicine and say I'll contribute to his tablet but he can't open until Christmas (he tried that with the Flyer).
Ha! THAT would fix him. I am replying to u from my A1. So far so good. This has the Android Market & I was able to download Nook Aldioko Overdrive Facebook, but typing on this keyboard Sucks!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #175
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Ha! THAT would fix him. I am replying to u from my A1. So far so good. This has the Android Market & I was able to download Nook Aldioko Overdrive Facebook, but typing on this keyboard Sucks!
Change the keyboard. I strongly recommend Swiftkey X, T9Flex or A.I.Type tablet keyboard.

Personally I like T9 Flex the best because you can swipe text but AI Type and Swiftkey are also very good.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #176
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Hooray.

Just over at Amazon, and they now have the price of $199 for the Lenovo A1 up again. It had been missing for a week or so.

They also have put back the notice saying that you could pre-order. I still haven't gotten my email from them saying they had them in stock though.

They also have some reviews up.

The Lenovo site has reviews but they are mostly A(plus).

I haven't seen mention of GPS though.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #177
Lula Ribeiro
Lula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Did you notice that amazon is now advertising the MU, not the former EU? Now that's the same one on sale at Lenovo. Another good news is that now, it is available for shipping to select coutries outside the US. ATTENTION, foreing potential buyers. This may be the opportunity you have been waiting for.
Lula Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #178
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Hmm, so it sounds like someone was just lazy or inaccurate with the initial Amazon listing?

Thanks for the tips on keyboards! I haven't tried a non-stock keyboard yet. I have found I keep emails and posts pretty short on a tablet. I like my Flyer keyboard better than the Coby. Has anyone tried the thumb keyboard? I'm debating whether or not to try out one of the small keyboards I see on Amazon. If I was smart, I would've got it with my case (I've seen the combos around), but I didn't really think about it at the time. Of course, that adds weight and bulk, and I don't really think I'd be doing much writing on the little guy.

LesRS - Any neat discoveries with the A1? Or is it just a lovely device that works?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #179
LesRS
Enthusiast

Quote:

LesRS - Any neat discoveries with the A1? Or is it just a lovely device that works?
None yet. I haven't had alot of time to play with it yet. Just a half hour, here or there. Didn't get to use it all today. I will be running around this weekend so I don't know how much time i'll have to play, but with the holiday coming up, I will get a chance to play.

One thing I haven't been able to do is open the micro SD card slot yet. Tried pushing on it and nothing pops out. The system says there is one already in there, but I can't get it open to find out. Maybe I need to pull and push, huh?

I am such a dumb ass sometimes........
Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #180
Lula Ribeiro
Lula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
You gotta press one of the corners of the lid and then it pops open. I just don't remember which corner, but thats the way. If it doesn't work with you finger, try a paper clip or something like that.
Lula Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote