Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your #1 method of ebook discovery?
I browse book covers, and if it grabs me I investigate further 22 6.98%
I browse paper books at brick and mortar bookstores, then search for the ebook online 11 3.49%
Recommendations from fellow readers on online forums, blogs, message boards 82 26.03%
Personal friend/family member recommends it to me 13 4.13%
I look first for my favorite authors 56 17.78%
I read free ebooks, and if I like the author I buy their other titles 18 5.71%
I browse randomly then look at reviews 26 8.25%
I'll sample anything, and if it grabs me I'll download/buy it 12 3.81%
Bestseller lists for my favorite genres/topics 16 5.08%
Retailer recommendations (incl "people who bought this bought that") 16 5.08%
Reviews/recommendations from traditional media (newpapers, television, magazines) 11 3.49%
Other (please elaborate in comments!) 32 10.16%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
What is your single most common method of book discovery?

Most of us utilize multiple methods of ebook discovery. If you had to choose a single method you rely upon the most, what is it?

Answer the poll, then please elaborate in you comments.

Last edited by Smashwords; 09-19-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Where's the poll? >.>

Edit: There it is!

I chose "other" because I rely equally on covers/descriptions, browsing in bookstores (though with the closing of Borders, I doubt I'll be doing that as much) and recommendations from friends (verbally) and reviewers through GoodReads.com.

Last edited by OneandonlyDoc; 09-19-2011 at 11:55 AM.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sometimes I just trawl the Web for lists of the top books of all time and choose something from that list that strikes my fancy. Sometimes I'll start with a book I love on Amazon and go down the chain of others also bought until I find something interesting. Sometimes I'll pursue options suggested by others on MobileRead through threads like the 'book quote game' and 'what are you reading'.

My favourite method is to go to an actual bricks and mortar bookstore in town and wander the aisles and displays for things that catch my eye. I generally find better stuff in the physical world than in the world of bits.

After I figure out what to read than I figure out how I'm going to read it. I'll check Amazon and other on-line stores and if the prices are more than I want to pay for the e-book then I'll head over to my library's website and see if I can find it there. Or I'll head over to a physical book and see if that price is better. When I've found all this out I'll make a decision if it's a buy or a borrow option. If I can't figure that out, I'll just toss the title onto the WTR pile and find something else.

It's pretty unscientific how I find a new book and author, but pretty scientific once I figure out I want to read it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I chose:
Quote:
Recommendations from fellow readers on online forums, blogs, message boards
if those are my only choices.

But in reality, my number one method is: recommendations from other like-minded readers that it's taken me years to find. Whether they're online, down the street or across the hall.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I rely HEAVILY on freebies and bargains to find new authors. And I also go to B&M stores to browse.

But if we have to pick one, my biggest method is probably the Amazon Recommends.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I tend to read what my Mom buys so that we have something to discuss other then the weather and when I am going to get pregnant and her health.

That sounds bad, it is not that bad. I have a great relationship with my Mom but I do like talking to her once a week and need something other then normal stuff to fill the conversation. We share a Kindle account so I read the books that she buys on aregular basis. It also helps me read something other then Sci Fi Fantasy.

I do look at recommendations from forums and newspapers. It has been ages since I have been in a bookstore.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I rely HEAVILY on freebies and bargains to find new authors. And I also go to B&M stores to browse.
I rely on the freebies method for ebooks.

For pbooks, I rely on book covers, browsing B&M stores, and reviews in trusted sources like the New York Review of Books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Hard to pick just one, but usually rec's or things I see on Goodreads that others are reading. Some books from here and some from Amazon's "he bought" lists. Rarely best seller lists, but lately I've been picking up a lot of freebies.

I also use Books on the Knob and DailyCheapReads.

They put bargains up and if the cover or description catches my eye, I check it out. I used those two sites at least 3 or 4 times a week and two weeks ago signed up for the daily emails. Curses! That meant I noticed at least 3 books I wouldn't have bought otherwise...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I answered "bestseller lists" but that is not strictly true. For fiction, I tend to go in with a single title in mind and just buy that. For non-fiction, I start with the best-seller list and then follow the "people who bought" lists from there. For instance, I was recently looking for books on a certain health issue so I did a search, opened up the first few results and then followed the Amazon suggestions to other books of interest.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
old goat
Enthusiast
old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
No common method of book discovery. Combination of methods listed on poll. Perhaps a comment from a forum member will cause me to look up a work, or a recommendation from a friend, or just browsing books.
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Forgot to mention that the Man Booker Prize long-list has become a very solid "recommender" to me in recent years.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Other: I browse randomly.

I never read reviews. A good title is a pre, a good description as well. Unlike pbooks, I don't really look at the covers for ebooks, the title is more important.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
"Other"
I almost only read library books, so I keep track on titles added in my libraries.
(I then check out reviews and recomendations for those books to try to figure out if they are for me.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I have multiple book feeds in my toolbar, I am forced to go by the one line description that the uploader has given to the book but if the description is even remotely interesting I will download.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool not exactly

i voted for browse book covers but actually i browse cover art [as opposed to covers that have printing all over the art] and if it grabs me i find out what book it was painted for and investigate further.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-19-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: clarification
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook discovery, poll