Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Marking recommendations as read (website)

Not sure if this is just me, have tried in Chrome and Safari and also done a clear cache & logout/login

Anyone got problems marking recommended books as 'Already read it'

The popup appears and I click on 'Already Read it' but nothing happens, the book still stays in my recommendations

Minor issue, but would like to remove books I have already read from the recommendations list
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Yep, that's the way it "works." Never goes away straight away for me either. Usually takes a few days... And even then sometimes a book just won't go away. Nothing you can do I'm afraid, that's on Kobo's end...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply

I will keep checking the list on the website and hope it eventually removes it
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
On a slightly related note, the emails I receive from Kobo with recommendations have a bit about taking a survey in order to fine-tune the recommendations Kobo makes to me. Whenever I click on the survey link I get to a page that says thanks for completing the survey, but I haven't taken the survey yet! Can other people take the survey or is everyone getting what I'm getting?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Yep! I also get "Thanks for taking the survey." Weird! I must admit that I think I did take the survey a loooong time ago and I just thought that was the reason it wouldn't work... but I can't be sure.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I'm pretty sure that I've never taken the survey, but even if I had I would have thought they'd let you take the survey again (in case your interests have changed) or at least told you that you've already taken the survey and are only allowed to do it once.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yep, I get the "Thanks for the Survey" and I've never taken it. I just figured Kobo didn't want to hear how disappointed I was in their software.

The relationship between the recommendations and the input from the reader have no connection, in my experience. I can click "Not Interested", or "Already Read it" as many times as I like and it doesn't change the recommendations.

All the recommendations appear to come from any clicking on books on the web site I may be interested in. And, if I happen to click on a book that is deemed a Romance novel (even if it isn't a romance novel, or I didn't know it was a romance novel), then I will be flooded forever with romance novels, and no amount of clicking the "I'm not Interested" will alleviate the flood.

I'm a bit afraid to even look at a book on the site because I know what will happen. I exit and take a look at GoodReads to see what the book is about. Never click on a book on the Kobo site unless you're pleading guilty of loving that genre of book.

Do they really want to know what I'm interested in, then simply look at the book I've purchased in My Library. It's plain they don't do that since I'm continually recommended books that I've already purchased.

A bit frustrating. I simply ignore all the recommendations now. Too bad, because it could prove profitable for Kobo.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I'm pretty sure that I've never taken the survey, but even if I had I would have thought they'd let you take the survey again (in case your interests have changed) or at least told you that you've already taken the survey and are only allowed to do it once.
I have clicked on the survey link - more than once - and actually been taken to the survey! Not that it has had a huge effect on what is recommended to me.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
I have clicked on the survey link - more than once - and actually been taken to the survey! Not that it has had a huge effect on what is recommended to me.
I too have done the survey multiple times.

I sometimes wonder about how Kobo has come up with some of the recommendations; they seem bizarre from my history. The second book of 50 Shades of Grey - really? I haven't read the first, why would I be intersted in the second...

It seems a bit disingenuous to recommend to me a book I have added to my wishlist. But I suppose they are correct; it is a book I am likely to be intersted in.

But by far the strangest is recommending to me a book I have already bought from Kobo and read. It is on their servers as having been bought and it is in my reading stats as finished. Maybe they think I liked it so much I should read it again?

But, all things considered, I still like the recommendations as they ahve on occasion pointed me to books that I probably wouldnt have found otherwise.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Clicking 'Already Read It' no does nothing for me either (Well, it makes the text go bold but that's it, no removal of book, no closing of the pop-over)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Clicking 'Already Read It' no does nothing for me either (Well, it makes the text go bold but that's it, no removal of book, no closing of the pop-over)
That's exactly what it does for me, since starting this topic I still cannot remove the book I wanted to get rid of, it is a valid recommendation of something I would read, but I bought it from amazon due to an offer

I can flag it as not interested in the app, but don't want to say that, just want to flag it as read

As to the recommendations survey, I get emails for that, but as I did it a long time ago it won't let me again, they are quite accurate for me but would like to see some improvements in the layout of them (a page for recommendations which keeps getting bigger instead of a horizontal list that only shows so many)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
That's exactly what it does for me, since starting this topic I still cannot remove the book I wanted to get rid of, it is a valid recommendation of something I would read, but I bought it from amazon due to an offer

I can flag it as not interested in the app, but don't want to say that, just want to flag it as read
I've found that if I rate it then the book sometimes disappears in a week or so, it was a lot handier when it worked though.

Still, at least they seem to have stopped recommending books I bought from them already
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
Quote:
I've found that if I rate it then the book sometimes disappears in a week or so, it was a lot handier when it worked though.

Still, at least they seem to have stopped recommending books I bought from them already
Not me still recommending books I have bought from them.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Same here. It used to work back when they first started doing it, but hasn't worked for me for quite a while.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote