Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
bobj
Enthusiast
bobj is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
"joe" command line text editor

joe is a lightweight, simple, easy-to-use, favorite-of-mine text editor. It's also the very first program I've compiled for the iLiad, so please be patient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe's_Own_Editor

I don't recommend using it from within mrxvt since it relies on Ctrl keys. However, if you're like me and always ssh into your iLiad to edit files, but you have an aversion to vi, then this is for you.

Included is a .tar.gz containing nothing but the "joe" binary executable, weighing in at 380kb. I recommend moving it to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

I wanted to do nano and lynx too, but I was foiled by ncurses, and I'm too busy to figure out any library-related stuff. (I got really lucky with joe since it compiled immediately.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joe.png
Views:	547
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	13177  
Attached Files
File Type: gz joe.tar.gz (167.6 KB, 466 views)
bobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i know this is a serious post, and please don't misunderstand me to be disparaging it (on the contrary, i assure you), but to a non-dev like myself it reads like tech jabberwocky. i kind of want to add some engravings of a large grinning cat, and turn it into an e-book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
bobj
Enthusiast
bobj is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Haha, sorry to sound overly esoteric, especially since this is an effort to make the command shell less esoteric. In simple language:

This is a text-editor for developers who loathe the standard editor that comes with the command shell.

It helps me feel more at home while I romp about in the Linux.

If you've ever seen a hardcore programmer use their text editor (usually vi or emacs) they can do some insane stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

Turns out that vi comes with the iLiad OS. But if some poor n00b (like me) happens to enter vi, I get stuck, unable to quit, until I google it and learn that to exit, you must type the three keys:
: q <Enter>

Who would have thought???
bobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
heh
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote