Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #61
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
1. PRC is not an eBook format. It's a Palm Resource file (and it's probably mis-named since it should be a .pdb).
2. DRM has no value to the consumer. DRM makes content worth less to the consumer. So saying that a device supports DRM is certainly NOT a selling point.

So, why buy a Kindle if you already have a PDA?
Even if you don't have a PDA, why would a Kindle be more vaulable?
Completely agree with point 2, while about prc I have no idea what is, just that as long as is unencrypted, Fbreader reads it, and BookDesigner converts it and that's good enough for me to know

Again, why buy Sony or Iliad, or Ebk1150? I would not and did not for any proprietary content, but for capabilities and price. So the same will apply to Kindle if and when it appears.

Personally I want fast navigation, 1GB min storage (my main problem with Ebk), one handed usage, as high a resolution as possible with minimum 100 words per screen at acceptable font, and then 2 device sizes, one pocketable and one book. Ability to do any nondrm pdf well would be gravy, but that is unlikely in a dedicated reader because the computing power and sharpness of screen required are out of reasonable price reach for now.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #62
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The manual we lifted from the FCC site (before it was pulled -- and can now be found here) listed a number of formats.

Assuming it's still accurate (from page 43):So no RTF, no HTML and no PDF. Presumably there will be some sort of conversion software for 'personal files.'
It says that on page 28 on the copy of the manual I've found in these forums. However, I notice on page 15, under the heading Connecting to Your Computer, it confirms your presumption of conversion software.

Quote:
When you connect Kindle to your computer you can transfer books, newspapers, music, and other files. You can also convert and transfer personal MSWord, PDF, and other documents.
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #63
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird
jashsu said:
on the question of mounting your own content, _no_company_
will ever sell a machine on which you can't load your own stuff.
since no one would even take a second look at such a machine.
Remember a small, insignificant company called Sony
and their first e-paper e-reader e-product "SONY Librie"?

I know, their special format got cracked eventually, but the at the beginning you had to buy the content. What is worse, the content you have "bought" expired after 60 days. There is no wonder the device was a failure.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #64
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

kacir said:
> There is no wonder the device was a failure.

yeah. but as you pointed out, they _did_ try...

of course, as you also pointed out, their format was cracked,
which meant that then people _could_ load their own content.

so maybe we should "play along" with a locked machine,
knowing we can break the lock whenever we really want.

i've wondered whether to do the same with d.r.m., act like
"it works" until all the content companies get fully on board,
and then pull the rug out from underneath them... :+)

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #65
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Bad idea - at least here in the U.S. The DMCA forbids it.

Sony also has a history (remember Aibo?) of going after fans who enhance their products by hacking them.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #66
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:

i've wondered whether to do the same with d.r.m., act like
"it works" until all the content companies get fully on board,
and then pull the rug out from underneath them... :+)
I would rather like to see that the content suppliers realize that d.r.m. won't work with every customer that uses his head. Too bad that the average customer doesn't realize, that he is locked to Sony, until he would change the platform/hardware.
But if they don't seem to learn it that way, the alternative obviously is to do it like you said.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #67
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

hi ,
when will the amazon online book service begin ?
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #68
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
When comparing paper with ebooks, if you deduce stock-up fees and warehousing and transport and wages and...whatever, it makes quite a bundle! That is a lot that you can invest in a loss leader. If they figure that with their proprietary format they can get captive buyers, (as shown in the format list) it is highly probable that they could offer a reader at that price. Stuff made in Asia is very cheap and I'm sure that a deal could be cut with Eink for a cheaper display made there. The idea of a $50.00 reader is not that far fetched, just a good marketing exercise.

If someone could find the numbers I'd be curious to know how many ebooks each Rocketbook or eBookwise owner has bought in the life of the device. Take a cut from all of them and add it up and I'm sure you'd get an appeciative figure.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #69
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny14
when will the amazon online book service begin ?
Shucks, bugs, we don't even know when they're going to release the hardware.

I'd expect them to come at the same time.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #70
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

> The idea of a $50.00 reader is not that far fetched,
> just a good marketing exercise.

sigh. the desire to believe is _so_ very strong, isn't it?

perhaps the fact that it never happens will _eventually_
teach you it is indeed "far-fetched". or maybe it won't.

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #71
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, I think it will probably happen eventually, bowerbird, just very eventually.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 AM   #72
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
One question I have that could impact this is exactly how many e-Ink/e-Paper display can be made per year? This could be the limiting factor on this and other readers.

If they did wonder if it will flop like the Unbox?
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #73
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
One question I have that could impact this is exactly how many e-Ink/e-Paper display can be made per year? This could be the limiting factor on this and other readers.
Not sure, but I think Nick Hampshire reported that there will soon be a ramp up to allow production of 60,000 e-ink displays per month. That would mean that there are many less right now per month, and they have to be shared by the various device makers. Probably price, large commitment and early commitment were factors in who gets what. At 60,000 per month capacity, however, I'm not sure how much of a scarcity that leaves, nor when that capacity is supposed to be available. I'm pretty sure it was sometime between now and end of next year. Anyone else remember?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #74
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Tnks! ^_^

Kind of hoping the 50 reader may be true. Be fun to "modify".
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #75
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Eink is a serious company with a great future. It is now in a position to act on the success and new maturity of their invention. Believe me growth is a killer, If they are as serious as their image now is, they will have manufacturing in Asia. Then everything will click and the ball will roll, giving cheaper displays,good profits and a wider amount of customers. All is left is for us to buy.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote