Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
gandalf2010
gandalf2010 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Irex DR800S launched

Irex has post is its web page that the Irex will be available in Europe next week, the 18 January. No news for USA

http://www.irextechnologies.com/abou..._Reader_DR800S

But the price is 499 € !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is 723 $ with the current exchange !!!!!!!!!!

That's really far from the 399 $ price they have promised !!

Someone has correctly pointed that the european device will be DR800S (no G because it won´t have 3G connection)

Last edited by gandalf2010; 01-13-2010 at 06:36 PM.
gandalf2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf2010 View Post
Irex has post is its web page that the Irex will be available in Europe next week, the 18 January. No news for USA

http://www.irextechnologies.com/abou..._Reader_DR800S

But the price is 499 € !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is 723 $ with the current exchange !!!!!!!!!!

That's really far from the 399 $ price they have promised !!
Just have ordered mine.
I don't know about the promise you mention.
But the price to me makes sense:
- iRex iLiad is € 549 respectively € 599.
- Kindle DX is $ 489, even was more expensive before the introduction of international Kindle. And it has less features.
- Sony 900 is $ 399. Has got less capable touchscreen (WACOM vs. touch) and smaller display.
I don't have any problems at all with the price and would purchase any iRex unit in an instance without hesitation. (Still love my iLiad. Love 1000S as well, but it's simply too bulky for my needs).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just have ordered mine.
I don't know about the promise you mention.
But the price to me makes sense:
- iRex iLiad is € 549 respectively € 599.
- Kindle DX is $ 489, even was more expensive before the introduction of international Kindle. And it has less features.
- Sony 900 is $ 399. Has got less capable touchscreen (WACOM vs. touch) and smaller display.
I don't have any problems at all with the price and would purchase any iRex unit in an instance without hesitation. (Still love my iLiad. Love 1000S as well, but it's simply too bulky for my needs).
Looks like you'll have it before those of us in the US. Would love to see some more pictures and videos when you get it as well as hear your impressions.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I think iRex are about to drop another almighty clanger with this. If you read it all carefully, I think that the european model does not have 3G capability hence the price difference.

Once again, some careless (or clever) word craft will lead its customers to buy thinking they are getting a Rolls Royce and end up with a skateboard! I would suggest that iRex need to make this VERY clear on their website as the excitement over the release may well lead some people to buy without going through the small print and then end up being very annoyed indeed!
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I just looked on the site, in the US the price is $601.44. What? What happened to the price they were going to sell for?

Oh, it is supposed to ship on Monday 18th January.

Yeah, I won't be getting one.

OH, and the model is 800S, no G involved.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
For what its worth if your in the USA you can order the DR800S from Irex. It will cost you US$601.44 plus US$67.61 for shipping. Though it will probably better better and wait till the SG version is released in the states.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I just looked on the site, in the US the price is $601.44. What? What happened to the price they were going to sell for?

Oh, it is supposed to ship on Monday 18th January.

Yeah, I won't be getting one.

OH, and the model is 800S, no G involved.
I think what they've done is take the US list of $399 and used that as 399 euros. Many companies do that and the price seems to be in the ball park.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The name of this topic is a little confusing. This is NOT the DR800SG, this is a DR800S. They are different things. The device that was just released is for the European market and is priced at 499EUR. The only reason you're even seeing it show up as $601.44 is because their online shop automatically does currency conversion depending on where you are located.

The US version of the DR800 still hasn't been released. As far as I know, it will still be priced at $399 for the regular version and $449 for the "special edition" liked they originally announced.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
For that price I'd rather chance it with a plastic logic. Irex might as well get all the $$ they can before all these competing readers come to market after CES because the road is about to get a lot tougher. I love my DR only for its size and capacitive buttons (I hate clicking buttons) but I wouldn't be surprised to see it passed over this coming year when it comes to FW updates etc...
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Looks like you'll have it before those of us in the US. Would love to see some more pictures and videos when you get it as well as hear your impressions.
Just (January 14th) got the order update: Ready for dispatch. Keep you informed and post impressions asap.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
gandalf2010
gandalf2010 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have received a mail from Irex saying that the release date for DR800SG in USA continues being the end of January.

They don´t say anything about the price.
gandalf2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just (January 14th) got the order update: Ready for dispatch. Keep you informed and post impressions asap.
Looking forward to it!

Wonder if I can get it at the Selexyz stores... They do carry the other Irex products as well...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
It's mentioned in the press release:
"it will be available January 18 2010 in stores (amongst others Mediamarkt, FNAC and Selexyz)"
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Oh right, I knew that! I remember thinking: Mediamarkt??? never ever seen one ereader there...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
It's mentioned in the press release:
"it will be available January 18 2010 in stores (amongst others Mediamarkt, FNAC and Selexyz)"
FNAC ? That would be a first. Well that's coold if true. They would have a demo device
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote