Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Miri
Miri began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Calibre not detecting device prs500

Hi,
Am new to e- readers and have been atempting to use Calibre with my prs-500 but no joy. Every time I try to transfer Calibre says device not detected. I have run a debug and this is what it says:

Version: 0.6.53
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27c8&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27ca&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid27c9&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid27cc&rev0002',
u'usb\\vid_054c&pid_029b&rev_0100']
Drives detected:
{}
Looking for ALEX
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for AVANT
Looking for AZBOOKA
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for BOOQ
Looking for BOOX
Looking for COOL_ER
Looking for CYBOOK
Looking for DBOOK
Looking for EB511
Looking for EB600
Looking for ECLICTO
Looking for EDGE
Looking for ELONEX
Looking for ESLICK
Looking for GER2
Looking for HANLINV3
Looking for HANLINV5
Looking for ILIAD
Looking for INVESBOOK
Looking for IREXDR1000
Looking for IREXDR800
Looking for IRIVER_STORY
Looking for ITALICA
Looking for JETBOOK
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for KOBO
Looking for N516
Looking for N770
Looking for N810
Looking for NOOK
Looking for NUUT2
Looking for PALMPRE
Looking for POCKETBOOK360
Looking for PRS500
u'usb\\vid_054c&pid_029b&rev_0100'
Looking for PRS505
Looking for PRS700
Looking for README
Looking for S60
Looking for SHINEBOOK
Looking for SNE
Looking for TECLAST_K3
Devices possibly connected: PRS-500 Device Interface,
Trying to open PRS-500 Device Interface ... failed
Opening of the following devices failed
<calibre.devices.prs500.driver.PRS500 object at 0x03D0A170>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\__init__.py", line 86, in debug
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs500\driver.py", line 210, in reset
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\libusb.py", line 349, in get_device_by_id
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\libusb.py", line 333, in busses
Error: Could not find libusb.

I have tried uninstalling and various versions of Calibre but still no joy.
Any suggestions please?

Miri
Miri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
support for the un upgraded prs500 has been dropped. You may be able to get it to work by finding the prs500.inf file in the calibre install folder and right clicking on it and selecting install

But seriously send in your reader to sony for a free upgrade.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
We can't upgrade the reader - we live in an unsuppoorted area of the world
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In that case stick with old releases of calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Specifically, try to use 0.6.29 - I believe that is the last version that correctly handled the 500. You can find it HERE.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
We can't upgrade the reader - we live in an unsuppoorted area of the world
Where on Earth do you live? Iran?
I got mine upgraded and I live in Australia!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Specifically, try to use 0.6.29 - I believe that is the last version that correctly handled the 500. You can find it HERE.
If they are using a Mac then 0.6.29 was the most recent to support the 500 but I believe Windows after installing prs500.inf worked until the last 0.6.xx version.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Where on Earth do you live? Iran?
I got mine upgraded and I live in Australia!
How did you do it - the last I read said that New Zealand wasn't supported. And in fact I can't use the online Sony update request forms because they don't allow our ZIP codes
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
How did you do it - the last I read said that New Zealand wasn't supported. And in fact I can't use the online Sony update request forms because they don't allow our ZIP codes
OK: how to get your PRS-500 upgraded:
1) Examine this website and take the appropriate phone number from there: https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...2&N=4294953907 - hint: 866-962-7669;
2) Ring that number - it is a US toll-free phone number, so you can use Skype to ring them for free;
3) Request the firmware upgrade, give your details (check repeatedly to make sure they got it right - they still have my surname wrong!), volunteer vocally to pay the cost of shipping it to the US;
4) They'll give you an address to ship it to in Laredo, Texas in the US and a job number;
5) Entrust your PRS-500 to NZ Post assuming they're still in business as we speak;
6) ????
7) PROFIT!

Here is the beginning of my tale - they're a bit better at handling international calls now! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62348

Last edited by AprilHare; 06-13-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: silly problem with wiki tags (?)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If they are using a Mac then 0.6.29 was the most recent to support the 500 but I believe Windows after installing prs500.inf worked until the last 0.6.xx version.
That's interesting, just goes to show that I learn something new everyday. I didn't realize that the windows build supported it longer.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
That's interesting, just goes to show that I learn something new everyday. I didn't realize that the windows build supported it longer.
I didn't realize it either and gave out bad advice from 0.6.31 to 0.6.40 until Kovid corrected me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote