Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Align left, how do I do that for Kindle

Epub is no problem, html code seems to work fine, but when I preview the book in MobiReader or Kindle for PC, there is a .015 indent at the first of each paragraph which is supposed to be aligned left. The Style is set up with margin-left=0, but I still get that pesky tiny indent. HOW do I get rid of it. Where do I put the align="left" code? Can I even do that?

Please help! I have a client who wants her book up by Wednesday. no problem with epub, it's gorgeous, but the Mobi Creator is giving me fits with just this one thing.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Both text-align: and margin-left will affect the complete text block. They won't be the source of the indent.

You may have a text-indent: ( http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_text-indent.asp ) value set in a style, either in the HEAD section or in a CSS style sheet. If you find one, set it to zero.

Also, since the Kindle device is the single largest market for MOBI format ebooks I suggest that you download a copy of Kindle Previewer for proofing. Kindle for PC is not a good match to the Kindle device display. The Kindle Previewer is written specifically for proofing; it is a very good match. You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times","serif";
color:black;}
Thanks so much for answering. I'm fairly new at html and the learning curve is huge! But the above is the MSONormal style I'm using on only the first para of each chapter and the first para after each scene change. The margin in the style is set to 0 in but it still indents (and I've previewed it in Kindle for PC) about .015 in.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have a sample of the code?

If that really is the CSS code, also put in text-indent: 0

Code:
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {
   top-margin: 0;
   bottom-margin: 0;
   left-margin: 0;
   right-margin: 0;
   text-indent: 0
}
That looks a lot cleaner. But if the code in the XML is <p class="MsoNormal"> replace it with <p> and fix the CSS so that entry is

Code:
p {
   top-margin: 0;
   bottom-margin: 0;
   left-margin: 0;
   right-margin: 0;
   text-indent: 0
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-15-2011 at 10:26 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Thanks so much...I actually got this text-indent:0in; on my own by studying the other Styles in my html doc. So that 0.15" indent has gone away for good ... thanks so much. Now if I could just figure out how to have the TOC Wizard generate a TOC with my <h1>Chapter #</h1> code. Any ideas? And we won't even get into the "Guide" feature in MobiPocketCreator. Many sleepless nights but I'm learning.
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Just put h1 - nothing else - in the First Level: field under "Tag name." That's all you have to do, and click "update." It will build it for you.

HTH
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
If you already have a good ePub version - presumably it validates - why not put it through calibre? I think calibre is a much more powerful and manageable way of converting than Mobipocket Creator.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Thanks Alex, I actually use Calibre now instead of MobiCreator...I can not only create the epub ebook but the mobi at the same time...very effective! I do like the instant view and edit feature for MobiCreator though.

Tags
indent, mobi, normal style