Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Oh, and I honestly, really could not care LESS about being able to tell people on Facebook what I'm reading, let alone use my Kobo to do it. What a waste of development time and effort when other features are still pending.
+1

If I wanted to tell people on Facebook what I was reading, I could simply post about it - not that I want to or feel that other people would be interested. Didn't care about it before, don't care about it now.

Being able to opt out of the recommendations and stuff would be nice. Yes, I can hide it, but I just don't want advertising to take up space on my device. And there recommendations are so much rubbish that it will not make me buy one book.

I'd be much more inclined to buy books from Kobo if they would make my reading experience more comfortable. That would make me feel like a valued costumer which would make me want to support the company by purchasing books.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
will be released shortly...1 day? 1 week? 1 month?
Out now..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm.. Seems you can only share kepubs to Facebook.. Doesn't have the option for normal epubs or PDFs.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
Xennex1170
Addict

Is it just me or does it seem the top doesn't have any margin anymore.. My text is freakishly close to the top of the screen.

Edit: After checking a few other normal epubs I have to conclude it is just the book I first looked at "The Vampire's Assistant", that I borrowed from the public library Overdrive system.

Last edited by Xennex1170; 03-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
On Windows 7, it downloads the update zip file to :

C:\Users\<user>\Local Settings\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kobo3-update-1.9.17.zip

This file is deleted when the eReader is finished being updated, so if you want a copy of it, copy the zip file while it is updating the eReader.

In fact, make a few copies, to ensure that the zip file is completely downloaded (it took me two copies to get the final version).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #21
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Nothing there to tempt me into allowing advertising on my Touch or to allow it to connect to the 'Net and send detailed information on everything I do with the device to Google, so I'm staying at 1.9.14.
I am pretty sure that Kobo did use google tracking with older firmwares as well.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #22
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
On Windows 7, it downloads the update zip file to :

C:\Users\<user>\Local Settings\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kobo3-update-1.9.17.zip

This file is deleted when the eReader is finished being updated, so if you want a copy of it, copy the zip file while it is updating the eReader.

In fact, make a few copies, to ensure that the zip file is completely downloaded (it took me two copies to get the final version).
May I ask you to upload it somewhere to share? Or does anybody know the URL where this can be downloaded from?
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #23
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
May I ask you to upload it somewhere to share? Or does anybody know the URL where this can be downloaded from?
Sorry, I presume that it is copyrighted by the good people at Kobo.

And is very easy to get yourself. I had no problems, even without knowing where it was being downloaded to, or even if it was being downloaded to somewhere accessible.

And, someone will probably post the "official" link to the package on Kobo's site. I would have looked there for it, but couldn't find the thread/post with the link to 1.9.16 in it.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #24
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem the top doesn't have any margin anymore.. My text is freakishly close to the top of the screen.
It's not just you. There is no top margin. And the bottom margin (above the PG. x of y) is very large.

This is for a sideloaded book, with no margins set in it (so it is using the Touch to set the margins).

And it is very annoying, as the top row is always in shadow from the rim of the screen at the top.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Sorry, I presume that it is copyrighted by the good people at Kobo.

And is very easy to get yourself. I had no problems, even without knowing where it was being downloaded to, or even if it was being downloaded to somewhere accessible.

And, someone will probably post the "official" link to the package on Kobo's site. I would have looked there for it, but couldn't find the thread/post with the link to 1.9.16 in it.
Here's a thread showing the link to the previous firmware - unfortunately renaming it to ...17.zip doesn't work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=145177&page=2

I have updated my reader to 1.9.17 but did not make a copy of the firmware. It would be nice to have a "backup", but the "downgrading-re-upgrading" to get it is too much hassle.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #26
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Oh, and I honestly, really could not care LESS about being able to tell people on Facebook what I'm reading, let alone use my Kobo to do it. What a waste of development time and effort when other features are still pending.
+1

I was hoping for official collections support myself.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #27
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

You can find the firmware here: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.17.zip
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Hmm.. Seems you can only share kepubs to Facebook.. Doesn't have the option for normal epubs or PDFs.
If you create a highlight or note in an ePUB you can post those to Facebook with whatever comment you wish to make. I haven't tried a PDF.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #29
clsdclsd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
Thank you!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Desktop is already there
Thanks! I've done the upgrading.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote