Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post
My wife just likes to read and wants color, nuff said.
You can't argue with that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Here.

Hm. I'm sure yesterday it said 'view and edit' - today it only says 'view'. Better wait and see then. View alone won't cut it for me.
I thought I saw the same thing too.

My next question is, will Nook Color let you compose and send email or only view?
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #63
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've read articles saying the color Nook is not a true e-reader because it doesn't use e-ink technology and other articles saying it's not a true tablet either because it lacks full functionality. So B&N has created something in between that in the long run won't satisfy either consumer. In the short run, I think they'll sell quite a few though.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I've read articles saying the color Nook is not a true e-reader because it doesn't use e-ink technology and other articles saying it's not a true tablet either because it lacks full functionality. So B&N has created something in between that in the long run won't satisfy either consumer. In the short run, I think they'll sell quite a few though.
L.J.
I think they'll do well in the long run. Until now, all of the major book sellers only had devices that read B&W. Who wants to read National Geographic on a Kindle? What was missing was a quality reader that did color. There is so much color content out there being neglected.

Nook Color hits a sweet spot and is designed for the masses. In the meantime, there's nothing keeping the eInk crowd from their Nooks and Kindles.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #65
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
L.J.
Yeah, I've seen many people say if it isn't eink they aren't interested. Those people own eink devices for reading. What they are apparently missing is the legions of people who like to read on an LCD device due to its many benefits such as reading in dark or low-light situations, faster page turns, converging features (browser, games), color for magazines and comics, embedded video and more. Many of us were stuck using a netbook, PDA, iPod Touch (small for some of us) to read on and get the above things. Finally a big name company releases a quality device for reading the way we want. There are literally a hundred different eink devices out there. Not many LCD readers though. Sounds like an imbalance that is about to be fixed.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #66
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Here.

Hm. I'm sure yesterday it said 'view and edit' - today it only says 'view'. Better wait and see then. View alone won't cut it for me.
They must be fiddling with their pages. When I first checked, I didn't see anything about the Office-type functions at all, then last night after your post I checked again and saw the info about viewing Office files.

If I could edit doc files, I think I'd order one right away.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #67
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
They must be fiddling with their pages. When I first checked, I didn't see anything about the Office-type functions at all, then last night after your post I checked again and saw the info about viewing Office files.

If I could edit doc files, I think I'd order one right away.
Yes, when I first saw their web page. They said "view and edit". If it is only "view" now, that is not going to cut it for me.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #68
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Here's proof that I wasn't crazy.

NookColor uses QuickOffice, so it *should* be able to edit MS Office docs. I wonder what the problem is?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #69
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
L.J.

So why do you buy in to the propaganda in those articles. What do you think?
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #70
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Keep in mind that LCD-based ebook readers have, in fact, been around for some time. This really isn't something new.

But again, the questions that a potential customer really are going to ask are:

• Is color and animation worth $100 extra and 1/10 (or less) the battery power compared to eInk?
• Should I spend $250 on a Nook Color, or $300 on an Android tablet with the same screen and can run the Nook and Kindle and Kobo ebook software, plus email, games, and so forth?
• Should I spend $500 for a 10" tablet, with a bigger screen and more apps?

I don't think it is clear at all whether this will be a win for B&N.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
• Is color and animation worth $100 extra and 1/10 (or less) the battery power compared to eInk?
Anyone who asks that question really has no business looking at a color reader. It's rather obvious their reading material consists of B&W material.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #72
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Courtesy of Teleread. For those who want to see dancers and their ereaders. B&N special event ...

Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Courtesy of Teleread. For those who want to see dancers and their ereaders. B&N special event ...
Can I order one of the girl dancers instead?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #74
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
For those confused about what the new Nook Color can and cannot do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I thought I saw the same thing too.

My next question is, will Nook Color let you compose and send email or only view?
'While Barnes & Noble really doesn't want the Nook Color "to be perceived as a multipurpose device," and their goal is to "extend the reading experience through applications," their definition of apps that do that is quite elastic.'

http://gizmodo.com/5675881/the-nook-...han-we-thought

'Barnes & Noble is going to run their own app store for the Nook Color, distributing and selling applications. It's a "curated" experience, meaning they'll have to approve apps for the store, which developers can start submitting in "early 2011," with apps approved "within weeks" of submission. So the apps that we saw at the launch, like Pandora, is all that'll be available for a couple of months. '

So basically it is being released as a sort of 'confused device' (my term) and the only way the consumer will be able to judge his/her Nook Color experience is 12 months down the road when the B&N App Store infrastructure works for the individual Nook Color owner, or does not work. Then you will know if your Nook Color purchase was golden, or a turkey.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #75
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
So basically it is being released as a sort of 'confused device' (my term) and the only way the consumer will be able to judge his/her Nook Color experience is 12 months down the road when the B&N App Store infrastructure works for the individual Nook Color owner, or does not work. Then you will know if your Nook Color purchase was golden, or a turkey.
If Nook Color fails, B&N might well be the second Blockbuster in the making. I just can't believe they left the first gen Nook to fight with the third gen Kindle. Granted the software updates can improve the first Nook. It sure feels like a white flag on the e-ink front.

The book business is transforming from paper to e quickly. B&N is facing a formidable competitor in Amazon and an incredible destructive force in tablets (iPad/Android). If B&N makes a critical mistake at this stage, it's going to be fatal. 12 months sounds rights to judge if Nook Color is a brilliant move or a suicidal one.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor