Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Exclamation NOOK Color is a Tablet PC not a colored E-Ink Rreader!

I rejoiced when I knew some thing near to the issuance of e-ink colored screen reader will come by Barnes & Noble called NOOK COLOR.

But I was very disappointed when I knew that this the expected screen is just a normal LCD display.

I still don't know that LCD is glossy-display like iPad or TFT without that annoying glare.

There are a lot of 7" and 8" Tablet computers based on Android system with unlimited functions I can get some of them by less than that new Nook color's price.

Why spend and lose more money for more Tablet computers to tired of my eyes instead of buying another touch e-reader like BOOX, BeBook Neo or get more eBooks?

The good news is that the old E-Ink NOOK is still available as a choice.

Last edited by meem; 10-27-2010 at 06:03 AM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
The good news is that the old E-Ink NOOK is still available as a choice.
That's because Nook Color is not a replacement, but rather an enhancement to the product line. B&N has every intention to sell both devices, side-by-side, but to different markets.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
There are a lot of 7" and 8" Tablet computers based on Android system with unlimited functions I can get some of them by less than that new Nook color's price.
Don't be fooled into thinking those cheaper tablets are equivalent to the Nook Color, because they aren't. In fact, they're inferior. If anything, the Nook Color gives you more bang for your buck than cheap, knock-offs like the Velocity Cruz and Pandigital Novel.

Check the displays, for instance. The Nook Color has essentially the same display as the iPad, only smaller:

Nook Color: premium 7" capacitive multi-touch IPS 1024 x 600 @ 169 PPI

Cruz / Novel: standard 7" resistive touch TFT 800 x 600

The same pretty much applies to the rest of the specs, with the cheaper tablets generally using lower end components to cut costs.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Not sure you'll see colour eInk in a hurry, at least not with the current systems being used.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm just disappointed that they hyped it as "the future of ereaders" and how they were going to bypass the Amazon Kindle, etc.

Archos 70 Internet Tablet has much better specs for only $25 more.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Archos 70 Internet Tablet has much better specs for only $25 more.
The display isn't better.

Anyway, this is where marketing steps in. How will these devices be presented to the public and who are the target users?

Just like the Color, the Archos doesn't have access to the Android Market. The devices will have to be hacked in order to gain access.

Since these devices are nearly the same price, with the Archos delivering more tablet goodies, people will have to see which one best serves their intended needs. And that won't happen until the Color hits the shelves and is reviewed.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Yeah just a little disappointing that it's not a Color E-Ink screen, guess too much to hope for, especially just yet,

But is it a retrograde step ?

And is the market already flooded with tablets ? some better, some worse in Spec and Price ?

I'll wait, I'm not even sure I like the idea of COLOR on an eReader, even E-Ink ones !

Plus I wish they would do an OFFICIAL release in the UK and Europe ... Some Hope !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It's not a Tablet PC® as the term is normally used --- that's a Tablet computer running Windows w/ pen extensions w/ certain minimum specifications:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327160

So call it a Tablet Computer, a Pen Computer, an Android Tablet --- something like that.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Why spend and lose more money for more Tablet computers to tired of my eyes
Why? Because the verdicts already in -- far and away, most people have absolutely no problems reading on a lcd tablet. The experience does not mirror reading on a computer.

Why? Because color matters for a lot of reading material.

Why? Because it's good to have choices. What may not be your cup of tea, can be a delight for others.

Why? Because the eInk community has been deluded -- LCD's are just fine for reading for most people.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Why? Because the verdicts already in -- far and away, most people have absolutely no problems reading on a lcd tablet. The experience does not mirror reading on a computer.
Here's what Lynch had to say:

Quote:
However, when we spoke to Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch, he said the company had done extensive research on displays and discovered that eye-strain with LCDs was not the huge issue many people were making it out to be. He was confident people would be comfortable reading on the Nook Color.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Lee is correct. Also, this is not just another tablet computer, in fact the title of this thread has it backward. This is a locked-down Android tablet which focuses highly on being a reader first with secondary features after. It will be a fantastic device for reading magazines, comics, children's books, and yes, even ebooks. More and more people are coming out of the marketing ploy of LCD being bad for the eyes, which is a total fallacy heaped upon us by loyal eink users. After years of waiting, the perfect reading device, for me, has arrived. Mine is already ordered. I worry a bit about performance but it can't be any worse than the Pandigital Novel I've been using.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'm disappointed with the Nook color but not because of the screen or even the lack of apps. It's marketed as a Reader-plus not as a webpad and that is fine.

Where B&N lost me (they almost had me with the screen, actually) is the lack of paging buttons. Its somewhat surprising, cause they got paging right on the eink Nook right from the start.

I have used screen-swipe devices, okay?
I know the iPad faithful swear by swiping and faux-paper page turns.
But for long reading sessions I find swiping and animated turns distracting; they get between me and full immersion for really long reading sessions.
Now, on a webpad, which is what iPad is, where you're jumping from web site to web site and article to article immersion is not an issue; you're not going to *want* to get immersed in the day's news anyway.
But a device that bills itself as a reader needs to make the hardware and the paging disapear from your conscious perception. The best ebook readers, going back to the Rocketbook, do that.
The NookColor is unlikely to achieve that.
Much as I like the screen and the (relatively) snappy performance and the (smart!) Pandora app built-in, I'll pass.
Hopefully somebody (Amazon?) will get it right soon.
Until then, I'll stay with eink where even B&N got it right. On the buttons, anyway.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
More and more people are coming out of the marketing ploy of LCD being bad for the eyes, which is a total fallacy heaped upon us by loyal eink users....
Yeah, all 6 of 'em. What a powerful group.

Like it or not, eInk devices have some advantages, such as minimal power consumption, better use in daylight, low weight, and a much more paper-like look.

IMO the key question is if the Nook Color will significantly differentiate itself from any forthcoming 7" tablets that will run the Nook software and a half dozen other ebook and comic apps.

There's also the question of whether they can, in fact, get this out in decent numbers by the ship date. I don't think it will look good if they have another shortage like they did last year, execution is critical this time around.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I think marked as a mini-iPad slanted towards books, this could sell pretty well.
While there are other Android tablets, they are with few exceptions poor quality stuff from no-name companies. A reasonably priced tablet from a high street name would be appealing.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
interesting for sure as the IPS panels are very impressive. But as the display is still a small format panel, I am not sure it's worth the $100 premium over the e-ink version as it's not going to display the books I actually need color to use. For that I must have at minumum 11"-12" panel with the page margins cut down from the print versions. On a small screen the text and images are simply too small.

But if this one works for a person, hey it's not that bad a value. The only advantage I see it having over the Archos is the IPS panel. The flood gates are supposed to be opening over the coming few months so I would say to sit back and see what emerges before plopping down the cash, it's not like the price is going to increase.

I am curious what they used for the layer on top of the IPS panel because the ipad is tough as hell compared to other devices. Is that tougher layer part of the panel tech? Or is it something special Apple used for their ipad?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor