Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
battery doesn't hold a charge well

I have a Sony 350, purchased a little over a year and a half ago - shortly before Borders went under. Two months ago, I fully charged the battery, and gave it to my husband to try out to see whether he liked the touch interface. It sat for 2 months without being used. He anticipates looking at it this weekend (to see whether he likes it or the K4 better). I checked the battery level, and it was about half-discharged.

should an unused Sony lose battery charge that fast? Or is there something wrong with my 350? it doesn't get used much, because I tend to prefer my k3 for reading.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Two months is a fair amount of time, I generally check my unused readers around once a month and usually see a bar a month drop with them actually switched off but higher if only asleep...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
ok, and I think I just let it go to sleep rather than actually turning it off, so my battery charge loss isn't as bad as I'd feared. Thanks.

second question: can I use the wall charger attachment from my Kindle to charge my Sony from wall power? or does it really only like being recharged via USB on my computer? (I don't want to try it if it might potentially damage my reader).
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You can charge via wall plug from what others have posted in other threads. Wall chargers will charge it more quickly than the usb port of a computer. Apple chargers don't work but most cell phone type chargers will.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
ok, and I think I just let it go to sleep rather than actually turning it off, so my battery charge loss isn't as bad as I'd feared. Thanks.

Even if you don't do a full shutdown the reader will fully shut down if it hasn't been used in 3 - 4 days. It'll do it on it's own. From my experience when I haven't been using mine in a couple of months because I was playing with a different toy, yes the battery does drain. It sounds about right to me. Take some time to read the user guide it explains about that in there too.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

second question: can I use the wall charger attachment from my Kindle to charge my Sony from wall power? or does it really only like being recharged via USB on my computer? (I don't want to try it if it might potentially damage my reader).
If it's a USB with a micro connector then fine... I've lost count of how many different chargers work with x50s from phone to USB generic...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Even if you don't do a full shutdown the reader will fully shut down if it hasn't been used in 3 - 4 days. It'll do it on it's own. From my experience when I haven't been using mine in a couple of months because I was playing with a different toy, yes the battery does drain. It sounds about right to me. Take some time to read the user guide it explains about that in there too.
It depends on the settings. Default is to power off after so much time. But you can set it to never power down, or even to go to sleep after a certain amount of time.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
It depends on the settings. Default is to power off after so much time. But you can set it to never power down, or even to go to sleep after a certain amount of time.
No you cannot. A straight, unhacked, out of the box model cannot change that stuff.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote