Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Prominent Food Blogger Discovers Plagiarized Ebook

Prominent Food Blogger Discovers Plagiarized Ebook

Quote:
The constant war against content scrapers and plagiarism on the web has become a standard annoyance for food bloggers, whether they have large or small readerships. But this week, Elise Bauer of the popular food blog Simply Recipes (which is a member of the BlogHer Publishing Network) discovered a new twist on the phenomenon: an ebook "author" had stolen pasta recipes and photos from her site and repackaged them for sale via Amazon.com's Kindle Store.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldL. View Post
My God! Who would think such a thing could occur?

A good question is how many people on MobileRead have a self published or otherwise book for sale on Amazon entitled "How to use your Kindle properly and profitably?"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Easy enough to fix, end anonymity and attribute everything to the source. Allow people to read before paying. No more copying, No more pirates, No more need for copyright.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Easy enough to fix, end anonymity and attribute everything to the source. Allow people to read before paying. No more copying, No more pirates, No more need for copyright.
Not likely to happen as long as some sellers and authors think exclusivity is better than universality. More likely to see an increase in piracy and plagiarism as groups are excluded from the ability to purchase.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
Quote:
And how would that help with 'authors' falsely claiming to be the source themselves? And people reading before paying, and not recognizing that the text was sourced elsewhere?
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Just one of thousands of ebooks plagiarized on Amazon.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
It was always thus, authorship and copyright control demands vigilance. But now she has resources to control the problem. Litigate, complain etc. And use the situation as a marketing tool.

Not exactly a loss.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I see you're still working on your comedy routine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
No need for copyright when nobody writes anything any more, sure.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
to play devil's advocate, can one truly "steal" a recipe? i can understand and sympathize with the pics but how can one lay claim to a recipe?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
to play devil's advocate, can one truly "steal" a recipe? i can understand and sympathize with the pics but how can one lay claim to a recipe?
The instructions are copyrighted even if the concept isn't. Some recipes are better-written than others, and easier to follow. Some ingredient lists are well-arranged, in order that they're used in the recipe and tagged to indicate how they're prepared ("3 cups flour, sifted, divided into 2.5 cup and .5 cup parts") and some aren't.

Anyone could probably get away with rewriting a set of recipes -- list the ingredients a bit differently, rewrite the text--but flat-out copying is infringement.

"Saute onions, garlic, and ground beef until done" is different, for the purposes of copyright law, from "add onions to medium-heat pan with 1 tbl of oil; stir until they start to clarify; add finely-chopped garlic and continue stirring until onions start to brown; add ground beef & make sure to break up any large pieces; stir often for 3-5 minutes until all the pink is gone."

Instructions can give details on how to check doneness at each stage, or alternate cooking utensils, or mention which ingredients can be increased or decreased to taste. They can be geared for beginning cooks, with great detail (as above), or for more advanced chefs, using less-common but more exact terms and not describing the process ("make a roux of wheat flour and clarified butter").

The information of what goes into a recipe and how it's cooked is not copyrightable. The specific description is.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
In this case, they copied the photos, which are (or can be) copyrighted, and the exact text of the directions (which is a piece of writing and can be copyrighted). But it's true that the ingredients of a recipe are not subject to copyright.

And I love Simply Recipes, by the way!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
hedy
Enthusiast
hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.hedy calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: eee netbook 10 inch
"It was always thus, authorship and copyright control demands vigilance. But now she has resources to control the problem. Litigate, complain etc. And use the situation as a marketing tool.

Not exactly a loss. "

It may help but still most annoying.

I love cooking and have just added Simply Recipes to my favorites.

Thank you.

Margit
hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I see you're still working on your comedy routine.
That's the trouble kennyc... no work, just same old repeated...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #15
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
Oh, boy! I've saved so many recipes that I got from other people, and I didn't note each donor's name. I'm sure my Grandma and hers before her did the same. Now if I wanted to publish a cookbook and used some of these hand-me-down recipes, would I REALLY be guilty of plagiarization? Years ago, composers used to copy each others' works, make some changes to them and that was considered fine. Do we call someone a plagiarizor because he wrote a sonata based on a theme from Paganini? I think it's just extending knowledge by standing upon someone else's shoulders.
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote