Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
A Wind From The South by Diane Duane- Available as a free download

I found this book available as a free download.

http://raetiantales.blogspot.com/200...-now-free.html

It's a book by Diane Duane, and while I haven't read this particular one yet, she has a reputation as a good writer.

Last edited by angelyne; 09-22-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added author
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelyne View Post
I found this book available as a free download.

http://raetiantales.blogspot.com/200...-now-free.html

It's a book by Diane Duane, and while I haven't read this particular one yet, she has a reputation as a good writer.
Nice find!

Diane Duane is a good writer. She's done a number of well regarded Star Trek novels, fantasies, and Juvenile/YA works.

I haven't read this one either, but I've grabbed it for later reference.

(Note: The web site makes it available as PDF, LIT, and Palm PDB file, but welcomes conversions to other formats. They'd just like you to send them a copy to make available.)
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-22-2007 at 06:40 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
angelyne
Connoisseur

I've created a html and Sony conversion, but I haven't figured out how to get in touch with her yet.

Last edited by angelyne; 09-22-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've created a html and Sony conversion, but I haven't figured out how to get in touch with her yet.
I couldn't find any place on the site that mentioned where to send such things, and left a blog comment asking. Worst case, I can probably come up with an email address for her, since we know some folks in common.

Update: I found an email address, and sent a query, with a pointer to this discussion.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-24-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nice find, and thanks for being careful of the copyright issue, we'd rather not have it at all than have it without permission.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I couldn't find any place on the site that mentioned where to send such things, and left a blog comment asking. Worst case, I can probably come up with an email address for her, since we know some folks in common.

Update: I found an email address, and sent a query, with a pointer to this discussion.
And I got a response:

On 9/24/07, Diane Duane <diane.duane@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there Dennis!
>
> On 9/24/07, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have conversions to MobiPocket (multi-platform) and Plucker (Palm
> > offline HTML viewer) in process, and will happily send them along, but
> > the blog post doesn't specify *where* to send them, and I can't find a
> > link on the page.
> >
> > Would you like such things sent to this address, or have you another
> > preference?
>
> Absolutely -- just mail 'em to me here. And post them wherever else you
> have a mind.
>
> Thanks for going to the trouble!
>
> Best -- Diane
>
> --
> Diane Duane | The Owl Springs Partnership | Co. Wicklow, Ireland
> http://www.dianeduane.com | http://www.youngwizards.com

Convert and post away!
______
Dennis
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
How did you do the HTML? I've got one based on extracting the text from the PDF, but the generated HTML requires a lot of manual cleanup.

Diane is looking for an RTF format copy to send me, which should be a better base to start from.
______
Dennis
Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
How did you do the HTML? I've got one based on extracting the text from the PDF, but the generated HTML requires a lot of manual cleanup.

Diane is looking for an RTF format copy to send me, which should be a better base to start from.
______
Dennis
I have an RTF that I cleaned up if she would be interested. I started with the LIT version. There were several typos I found.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
angelyne
Connoisseur

Quote:

______
Dennis
Basically I used c lit to extract the text from the LIT version and pretty much reformatted the whole thing. I wouldn't try that with PDF. RFT wouldn't really make that much of a difference, since it's almost the same as a LIT conversion. I tend to strip all HTML reference from an RTF and start the formatting over. All I really need are the <p> tags to be intact. Anything else can be worked with.

It helped that I had the PDF as a reference to know what it was supposed to look like. I think I did a good job with it.

I didn't correct any typo though, since I haven't read it yet.

Thanks for finding that email, I'll send her the files soon as I get home. (ps: maybe you should remove the @ symbol, so the evil bots don't get her)

Last edited by angelyne; 09-24-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
angelyne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Nice find, and thanks for being careful of the copyright issue, we'd rather not have it at all than have it without permission.
Of course.

I assumed that any author would prefer to control the distribution of her work, even if she is offering for free. And beside, the Baen-like formula of offering a free book to generate interest in subsequent works is to be encouraged. Uploading her work without permission would sabotage this.

PS: since she did give permission, maybe I could upload it here?

Last edited by angelyne; 09-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
She did say
Quote:
And post them wherever else you have a mind.
Send her a copy at diane dot duane at gmail dot com, and upload away.
______
Dennis
Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Quote:
She did say
Quote:
And post them wherever else you have a mind.
Oh, definitely -- add them to the EBook Uploads section as you like.

All we ask is that you follow the listing guidelines so that folks can find it again easily later.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
MissLissa
Enthusiast
MissLissa has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 500/Palm Tungsten E2
Has the BBeB edition of this been posted yet? I did not see it in uploads.

Thanks!
MissLissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a version in BBeB I'll post later tonight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Posted in LRF for the Sony, PRC for Mibipocket capable devices, and IMP for the REB 1150.

ENJOY!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote