Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
karenaH
karenaH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Deleting books from kobo ereader

Hi,

I am trying to delete books from my kobo ereader that I have got from:

1. free epubs from project gutenberg downloaded onto reader using calibre.

2. epubs from a public library downloaded onto ereader using adobe digital editions. these epubs should disappear from my laptop after their loan period, not sure how to delete them from the ereader.

As these epubs have not been bought from the kobo online store they do not appear in my library on the kobo website and I don't know how to delete them from my ereader???

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can do this? Many thanks.
karenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
1. free epubs from project gutenberg downloaded onto reader using calibre.
Click on the Kobo drive beside your library in Calibre, and it should show you a list of the books on your device. You can select them there and just press the delete key.

You can also just browse to the Kobo drive using your computer, and manually delete the epub files yourself. (it appears in My Computer just like a thumb drive)

Quote:
2. epubs from a public library downloaded onto ereader using adobe digital editions. these epubs should disappear from my laptop after their loan period, not sure how to delete them from the ereader.
You should be able to manually delete them through ADE, not sure if ADE will delete them automatically from the Kobo, or just give you an access denied message after the loan period... I always strip the DRM.

I think you might also be able to delete ADE books using Calibre. I know the developer mentioned he updated the Kobo driver to list ADE books, but don't know if it can only list them, or delete them too.

Last edited by Stinger; 05-30-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Click on the Kobo drive beside your library in Calibre, and it should show you a list of the books on your device. You can select them there and just press the delete key.

You can also just browse to the Kobo drive using your computer, and manually delete the epub files yourself. (it appears in My Computer just like a thumb drive)

You should be able to manually delete them through ADE, not sure if ADE will delete them automatically from the Kobo, or just give you an access denied message after the loan period... I always strip the DRM.

I think you might also be able to delete ADE books using Calibre. I know the developer mentioned he updated the Kobo driver to list ADE books, but don't know if it can only list them, or delete them too.
I may release a Calibre plugin tonight that is capable of managing the content on the Kobo. It can delete kobo delivered books, pdfs and epubs.

It is experimental though and not for all users (need to be running Linux and capable of backing up the entire device before trying it).

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
It is experimental though and not for all users (need to be running Linux and capable of backing up the entire device before trying it).
Somewhat relatedly, is there any way of getting this driver into the Ubuntu-supplied version of Calibre, or is it necessary to manually install the latest one?
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eythian View Post
Somewhat relatedly, is there any way of getting this driver into the Ubuntu-supplied version of Calibre, or is it necessary to manually install the latest one?
Right now it is written for the latest beta version. It would need to be back porter. I have no plans to do that right now.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
karenaH

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

@Stinger... For the downloaded gutenberg books...I think I did what you suggested but via a slightly different route. I deleted the books from calibre (just from the list of books in my library)... but that didn't take them off the ereader. I am still not very knowledgeable re calibre. However when I plugged in my kobo to my laptop I went to computer > e drive (the plugged in kobo) and then deleted them off the drive and hey presto when I unplugged the kobo and it processed the new info the books had been deleted off the ereader... yay!

With the downloaded public library books... I think when the loan period is up and they are deleted from ADE on my laptop and plug my ereader in to my laptop they will be deleted from the ereader.

Thank you

Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I deleted the books from calibre (just from the list of books in my library)... but that didn't take them off the ereader.
Right, deleting a book from your Calibre library won't delete them from your reader. As far as I know, Calibre does not have any kind of 'sync' functionality.

While the manual method you used is perfectly acceptable, if you already have Calibre open, it might be easier to remove books that way so you don't have to look through the folder structure on the device for a particulare book.

When you plug in your Kobo, give Calibre a second to detect the device, and then detect all the books on it (you'll see the Job icon spinning while it's doing this).

You should see a READER tab appear beside your library tab, as you see in the screenshot below. Click on that, and delete books from that list to remove them from the device.

Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
@Stinger - Nice taste in books! I'm reading A Game of Thrones at the moment.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
karenaH

@Stinger. Thanks for the screen dump of how to delete the ebooks from the reader using calibre. I'll try that next time.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
garkar
garkar began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
How to strip the DRM?

Anybody know how to remove the DRM from public library books as I can not finnish in the borrowing period?
thanks
garkar is offline   Reply With Quote