Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #31
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Thanks for the Google-fied translation, Harry.

If these specs are true, it doesn't really seem much different than my current generation Sonies. Although, the cover with light seems a lot more compact than the one i have right now.

But still, it doesn't look like it's got the LiquVista or any of the other future screens, which would make it a must buy.

It seems that I have a tendency to skip generations (505, 700, 6/350) because the features in between don't really add up to enough for a justified upgrade. Yet again, the WiFi doesn't sell me on the Sony.

Although, with multi-touch, does that mean I might actually be able to use my Sony to annotate.... Hmm...

Right now it's a pain in the ass and I have to edit with my iPad. Much easier to highlight and the sticky-notes are super useful in the margins.

The standby cover feature is nothing new. My 350 has a whole folder of cover-art loaded into it, so what if it cycles? I've got all my book covers on display every time I cycle.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It may be that the aren't particularly targeting the US market. Sony have traditionally done well in the UK/European market.
I guess I'm just going off of "old" talk in the Sony sub-forum. Many folks outside of the U.S./Canada said lack of wifi on an eReader isn't viewed as a negative in many parts of the world. The only thing that really stands out on this new model is wifi, as if they're competing with other wifi devices.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #33
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
The standby cover feature is nothing new. My 350 has a whole folder of cover-art loaded into it, so what if it cycles? I've got all my book covers on display every time I cycle.
And there's an "easy fix" (as long as you read only one book at a time, that is!) if you want the Sony to show the book cover while in standby mode. I have a file on it I named "nowreading.jpg" which every time I start reading a new book I replace with the proper cover art.

But like I said, it works only if you read one book at a time
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I guess I'm just going off of "old" talk in the Sony sub-forum. Many folks outside of the U.S./Canada said lack of wifi on an eReader isn't viewed as a negative in many parts of the world. The only thing that really stands out on this new model is wifi, as if they're competing with other wifi devices.
It also seems to have had a significant price drop. If the price quoted is accurate, it'll be pretty much the same price as the 3G Kindle. That may be seen as the "sweet spot" for European pricing. I agree entirely that in terms of new features, there's little to see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #35
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
And with that collection of books is also the mustache.
This is the feature I have been for waiting most ... with the exception, of course, of an integrated dictionary of December 12.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #36
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
It's attractive compared to the £199 of the PRS-650, but it is competitive against the £111 of the WiFi Kindle?
It might be with the ePub support. The lack of ePub on Kindle is STILL the main reason I avoid Kindle.

As far as the Bose comparison goes we need to remember that for audiophiles (and I speak as someone with a wall full of Linn, Acoustic Research, and Denon kit) the quality of Bose is possibly more perceived than actual. I've never met or spoken or messaged an audio nut who ever bought or even seriously considered Bose, or Bang & Olufsen, etc. They have the rep but only sell to people who buy into that reputation. If Sony go that route, either deliberately or because we plebs think they have then they will end up with a range of kit which is too expensive, not QUITE good enough, but makes people go "Oooh, Nice".

I want good kit, reasonable prices, and ePub. Wifi would be nice if Calibre can support it so I can copy books to the device without worrying about whether the partial recharge the battery will get will shorten the life.

/end rant
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is the feature I have been for waiting most ... with the exception, of course, of an integrated dictionary of December 12.
LOL - the joys of machine translation. I don't know what the "mustache" line should really say, but the "12 December" one says "you can look up a word in any one of the 12 built-in dictionaries". That's the same as the 650 has, of course.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #38
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
If these specs are true, it doesn't really seem much different than my current generation Sonies.
I didn't expect it to be. The same old Sony deal, (slightly) better hardware, (slightly) lower price, (probably) new software version available only on the latest version of the reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Sony believes it has a premium product, much the way that Bose does.
It seems to me that they believe that ereaders are fashion accessories. New model every year, if you are gauche enough to be seen with the old stuff, you are out of their targeted social group.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It might be with the ePub support. The lack of ePub on Kindle is STILL the main reason I avoid Kindle.
And conversely it's the reason I like the Kindle. The ease of buying books on the Kindle is so much easier than buying books on the Sony and having to go through ADE. I occasionally buy books from Waterstones, but only when Amazon doesn't stock it. Of course, it's nice to be able to buy, and use, both, which I do.

Quote:
whether the partial recharge the battery will get will shorten the life.
It won't. Lithium polymer batteries don't mind being "topped up".
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #40
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Priced more than $200? Here we go again (in the U.S.).
Dutch prices and USA prices often relate close to $1=€1.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And conversely it's the reason I like the Kindle. The ease of buying books on the Kindle is so much easier than buying books on the Sony and having to go through ADE. I occasionally buy books from Waterstones, but only when Amazon doesn't stock it. Of course, it's nice to be able to buy, and use, both, which I do.

It won't. Lithium polymer batteries don't mind being "topped up".
I've never used the Sony software. Ever. Funnily enough, I've also never bought an ebook. Ever.

Lithium-ion batteries still die after a (large) number of recharge cycles which obviously include the instances where a connection is made for calibre.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Lithium-ion batteries still die after a (large) number of recharge cycles which obviously include the instances where a connection is made for calibre.
True, but as far as the battery is concerned, 20 5% top-ups and 2 50% top-ups are equivalent. You don't have to take my word for it - there are lots of web sites about lithium polymer batteries which will confirm this.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
And conversely it's the reason I like the Kindle. The ease of buying books on the Kindle is so much easier than buying books on the Sony and having to go through ADE.
It's also why the Kobo Touch is a strong contender. Thanks to kepub, books magically appear on the device without ADE, etc.

Sony PRS-T1 / 6" E-ink / 2GB / micoSD support / dual touch / WiFi / one month battery life / multiple dictionaries / cover art in standby / Pearl eink / built-in Wikipedia, Google search support / stylus notetaking / 168 g / plastic body / € 164.95

This is a very credible upgrade ... depending on what the price is locally. In the US, Amazon has been investing heavily in the $114 price point with TV ads.

Quote:
So you can lose some 1,200 books on the internal memory of 2 GB. Or more via microSD cards.
Wow! That's an additional 19,200 books you can lose if the microSD card is capable of 32 GB. Upon reflection, this is the "killer app" e-reader enthusiasts have been lusting for.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #44
banjomike
Addict

Quote:
True, but as far as the battery is concerned, 20 5% top-ups and 2 50% top-ups are equivalent. You don't have to take my word for it - there are lots of web sites about lithium polymer batteries which will confirm this.
Does the new one have a lithium polymer (Li-poly) battery? I haven't seen that. I was referring to the Lithium ion (Li-ion) variety that my 505 has.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Does the new one have a lithium polymer (Li-poly) battery? I haven't seen that. I was referring to the Lithium ion (Li-ion) variety that my 505 has.
Lithium Ion and Lithion Ion Polymer batteries are alike in that respect - neither of them minds being "topped up", unlike older battery technologies where it did harm the battery not to fully discharge/recharge it.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a lithium ion polymer battery; they've almost completely replaced the older lithium ion technology.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs