Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
macroexp
macroexp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Post A Simplified Chinese + English font that actually looks good

Hey all. I share my PRS-505 with my wife, who reads Chinese books. I've never been happy with the english characters in the Chinese fonts though, so I merged a couple fonts into one. The english glyphs come from Bitstream Vera Serif, which I think is easier to read than the stock Dutch. The Chinese glyphs come from FangSong, which my wife says is the most readable Simplified font. The fixed-width latin glyphs (commonly used in Chinese text) are copies of the base Vera Serif glyphs, but bumped out to fixed-width.

It's big, around 15mb. I convert everything to ePubs and use the css trick to point to this font which I put in the /fonts directory. There are instructions elsewhere on how to do this - I could just never find a worthwhile font to do it with!

Please - this is the first time I've ever even looked inside a font, so if I did something horribly wrong or missed something, let me know.

http://rapidshare.com/files/39086178...f-Fangsong.zip
macroexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
thawk
Connoisseur
thawk began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Thank you for your work. I'll have a try :-)
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
charlessmith
charlessmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900
Many thanks.
seems you love your wife very much. ^_^
charlessmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
how do you merge the two fonts together?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Presumably by using a font-editing software like highlogics fontcreator
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
macroexp
macroexp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
how do you merge the two fonts together?
I used fontforge (open source). I tried using a trial of a commercial font editor, but the workflow was much clunkier. In fontforge I opened both fonts and pasted the English glyphs into the Chinese font. I have some notes I took on the specifics of using fontforge - if it'd be helpful I could find them and post.
macroexp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, font