Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-27-2006, 05:44 AM   #31
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
yokos which caselogic case is that?, an amazon link would be nice.

cheers.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #32
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Lightwedge case

As I mentioned a few weeks back on another thread, the Lightwedge case is a pretty good fit for the iLiad. Now that mine has arrived I have been able to test it out - it fits great.

The material is designed to protect the rather softer plastic of the Lightwedge, and so should do well with the iLiad. And it is only $8 from Amazon.

Admittedly it is not very thick or padded. But it will keep the iLiad away from other things in your bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_3737.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1325   Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_3739.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1326  
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #33
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Talking Made my cover!

Hi guys,

As promised, here are some photos of my cover, which I made yesterday afternoon (finally I can take my iLiad places!), I still need to buy some Velcro to put on the flap, but I'll have to do that tomorrow (the way it'll be placed will allow me to secure the front flap at the back when I'm reading). When I feel the inspiration hit, I'll probably embroider and/or decorate it a little.

1. I got the plastic from an A4 notebook with thick plastic covers, and cut it a few millimeters larger than the iLiad, to give it more protection. You can't see it too well in the photos, but there is also a third piece of plastic the same width as the iLiad, acting as the spine of a book. I've left all the openings to the plastic open instead of sewing them shut, so I can take it out easily and wash the cover if necessary.
2. The elastic goes through the plastic too, to give it more strength and resistance to time/tension (instead of just going through the cloth).
3. The little pockets on the front flap are, as you can see in the photo, for carrying cards. If someday I have an extra Wacom pen, I'll add a little something to hold it against the right side of the iLiad (where the flap is).

The cloth cost me under 2 euros, the plastic I recovered from an old notebook, the velcro will cost me under a euro... the hardest part is the making of it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FinalView1.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	1337  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CoverBuilding.zip (2.52 MB, 320 views)
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #34
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I picked up a planner binder from Mead. It's padded and the binder rings are removable. The rings are on a hard plastic back. I took them out and replaced it with one of the hard plastic "pages" that they use on either side of the content to help keep the dead-tree content from bending.

Then I used a strip of velcro to attach the iLiad to the plastic back. The case is small, fits the iLiad very well, protective and I have easy access to everything but the reset button (it also does a good job of muffling the speaker 8-)).

I've also been playing with the manifest.xml file to change the display icons in the file list, as you can see. Yes, the top icon is Dilbert and the other icons are from the B.O.F.H. web site on The Register.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ronsiliad.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1339  
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 AM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
@ElaHuguet

That's pretty slick! When will you start taking orders?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #36
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

LOL! Thanks Natch... well... it would have to be worth my time, but at least each time I made one, it would be that little bit better, right? I really enjoy sewing when doing this sort of wacky stuff, eg. costumes for Halloween (well, for Carnaval here), not the normal stuff.

Oh! Thanks for reminding me! I have to go get the velcro, I really miss not being able to close it (or keep it open).
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #37
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
These covers are really nice. I think i will slaughter a hardcover paper-book should i need a cover in the future.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #38
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

I was just thinking,

wouldn't it be nice if you could build a cover with solar cells in the fold over part (front cover exterior), which would be wired into the power supply socket of the iLiad. Then you could sit the book in the sunlight to charge when you weren't using it.

If the hinge on the cover was ratcheted you could even angle the cover towards the light source.

And then...

You could have a couple of ultra bright leds built into the *inside* of the front cover, connected to a USB cable which could go into the USB socket at the top of the iLiad.

For reading in the dark!

emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #39
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

good one, emkay, total "crazy inventor/geek" look. :P
Old 08-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #40
deadite66
Groupie

i've asked for a quote with thepouch.co.uk neoprene cases make to order
Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #41
antonio_uk
antonio_uk began at the beginning.

I'll try to make one of these as soon as I have the time:

http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006...llow-book.html
antonio_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #42
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@emkay

I totally like your idea...but I guess we won#t find anybody who makes this kind of cover...at least not at anything close to payable pricing...^^

And DIY would be a bit hard for a case like that...making a plug to connect to the Iliad and creating a power-regulator that protects your Iliad from too much power coming in through the solar cells...

But it's something I really would love to see...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #43
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

CommandROR
Here's something designed for 12v devices:

Juice Bag

Of course it has a bigger surface area than an iLiad cover would have. And look at the price

I think we need to wait for solar technology to reach the next level. The nanotechnologists seem to be making progress.

Wouldn't it be great one day to have an ebook with a little solar cell strip, like a solar powered calculator, as its only power source.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #44
deadite66
Groupie

hmm :<
after asking 2 times about a custom iliad case to thepouch.co.uk stating the dimensions i've received no answer but just now i checked the American .com site and low and behold they have a page advertising a case (coincidence?)
http://www.thepouch.com/iliad.html
guess i'll email the .com site and ask them if the uk firm is still in business i don't fancy the extra costs transporting from the usa
Old 08-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #45
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
hmm :<
after asking 2 times about a custom iliad case to thepouch.co.uk stating the dimensions i've received no answer but just now i checked the American .com site and low and behold they have a page advertising a case (coincidence?)
http://www.thepouch.com/iliad.html
guess i'll email the .com site and ask them if the uk firm is still in business i don't fancy the extra costs transporting from the usa
Interesting. Is this just a simple protective sleeve or something more? I really couldn't tell for sure from their web page.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote