Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a Swine Flu shot?
Yes!! I'll get the shot ASAP! 20 21.51%
No!! I don't believe in flu shots 13 13.98%
No!! Don't get the shot!! "They're" putting something in it and its not safe! 2 2.15%
I'm not decided. 11 11.83%
I think this whole thing is overblown, and this is just another flu bug. 47 50.54%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Your Opinion on Swine Flu and Shots

When they're available, of course.

Much has been written on the coming Swine Flu "pandemic".

What are your thoughts, and will you be getting a shot should it become available, as well as the yearly normal flu shot?

Is it a true threat, or has it been media sensationalized? Will there be shortages of the serum?

As this is a world wide forum, it will be interesting to see how those from other countries think.

Please post any thoughts you may have on this subject.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
when the Avian Flu looked like a real threat I did a LOT of reading about the 1917 flu pandemic and it is some scary sh*t maynard! typically I pass up flu shots being a firm believer in letting my body develop immunities to the garden variety ickies that are running around out there. also, right or wrong, it is my understanding that we are always being vaccinated against LAST year's virus.

with that said, I will be getting a swine flu shot when and if I can, and am scheduled for a pnuemonia shot. I had Whooping cough when llittle and have always had a problem with upper respiratory infections and actually have been hospitalized twice with pnuemonia (once in Basic Training.... THAT is agony!). for once I am not willing to take my chances
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've already had swine flu, so I won't be having any shots when they're available Mind you, I don't get shots for normal flu, either.

From my experience, it seems to be more contagious than normal flu, but the symptoms themselves are milder (normal flu leaves be exhausted just walking down stairs, I could get back up them without needing a rest when I had swine flu!).

I did have tamiflu - apparently it knocks about a day off the duration - but it also seemed to reduce the duration and severity of the cough.

It's a threat in that as it does seem to be more contagious more people will probably catch it. Which probably means more vulnerable people will also catch it than will get normal flu. But I really think it has been blown out of all proportion.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I personally believe that its all hype. This "pandemic" is nothing but bullsh*t to get people to take the vaccine. Compare the numbers who have died to Swine Flu to the numbers who have died to regular flu. It's a drop in the bucket. Hundreds compared to Hundreds of Thousands.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28...flu/index.html

Quote:
An outbreak of swine flu that is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and has sickened dozens of people in the United States and elsewhere has grabbed the attention of a nervous public and of medical officials worried the strain will continue to mutate and spread.

Experts are nervous that, as a new strain, the swine flu will be harder to stop because there aren't any vaccines to fight it.

But even if there are swine-flu deaths outside Mexico -- and medical experts say there very well may be -- the virus would have a long way to go to match the roughly 36,000 deaths that seasonal influenza causes in the United States each year.

Since January, more than 13,000 people have died of complications from seasonal flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report on the causes of death in the nation.

No fewer than 800 flu-related deaths were reported in any week between January 1 and April 18, the most recent week for which figures were available.

The report looks at deaths in the 122 largest cities in the United States.

Worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.
So, 150 deaths compared to an annual deathrate of half a million, and this swine flu is supposed to be a pandemic?! The vaccine, the H1N1, is a still yet unproven vaccine, and has caused many deaths just in itself.

I whole-heartedly believe that the H1N1 virus is nothing more than a means of genocide, and whoever is behind the manufacturer and marketing of this vaccine did so with the sole intention of killing off many of the world's population.

If their bodies cannot take the vaccine, they are weak, and therefore should be eliminated in order to strengthen the strain of the human organism. If the strongest man multiplies, and the weaker man is killed off, it will be an age of supermen.

Granted, this seems a bit far-fetched, but tell me this...what other reason is there for wanting to destroy the weaker strains of humanity? That's all this drug will be doing.

Conspiracy Theory? Yes.
Plausible? Yes.
Likely? Who can say for sure.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post

So, 150 deaths compared to an annual deathrate of half a million, and this swine flu is supposed to be a pandemic?! The vaccine, the H1N1, is a still yet unproven vaccine, and has caused many deaths just in itself.

I whole-heartedly believe that the H1N1 virus is nothing more than a means of genocide, and whoever is behind the manufacturer and marketing of this vaccine did so with the sole intention of killing off many of the world's population.

If their bodies cannot take the vaccine, they are weak, and therefore should be eliminated in order to strengthen the strain of the human organism. If the strongest man multiplies, and the weaker man is killed off, it will be an age of supermen.

Granted, this seems a bit far-fetched, but tell me this...what other reason is there for wanting to destroy the weaker strains of humanity? That's all this drug will be doing.

Conspiracy Theory? Yes.
Plausible? Yes.
Are you saying there is already a vaccine out there and its caused deaths, or this virus is actually man made?

I just want to be sure of what you are saying.
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
I personally believe that its all hype. This "pandemic" is nothing but bullsh*t to get people to take the vaccine. Compare the numbers who have died to Swine Flu to the numbers who have died to regular flu. It's a drop in the bucket. Hundreds compared to Hundreds of Thousands.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28...flu/index.html

Conspiracy Theory? Yes.
Plausible? Yes.
First we have the people that believe that 9/11 was an inside job "The Truthers" Then came the people who believe that President Obama was born in Africa "The Birthers" Now Griffinwing could be the start of a brand new group. What do we call them? "The Fluthers."

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 09-01-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I think that I'm confused by this. Are you saying that some human agency both created the virus AND the vaccine?

Meanwhile, I had a nasty bug which was probably H1N1, but am now better. My daughter was diagnosed with the virus, had Tamiflu (she's asthmatic) and recovered very quickly. And my partner will have the vaccine because he's asthmatic. And academics like us are at some risk: every September we stand in front of crowded lecture theatres, and hordes of students from all over the world sit there and cough at us.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Nah. It should only be a concern to someone if they've got a weakened immune system (or are pregnant, young, or old). Just keep those hands washed.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
when university here resumed just over a week ago, more than 10 cases had already been diagnosed. we will see
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cross-species illnesses are not supposed to happen. A sickness that affects a cat, like Feline Leukemia is not supposed to harm dogs, birds, pigs or humans. Why, then, are we suddenly having Bird Flu, and Swine Flu. Diseases that are species-specific are now affecting those outside of their species? Does that seem natural? No. In my mind, someone, possibly a scientist or someone decided to mess around with the strains, mutate them somehow, and see what they could do to better understand it. In so doing, they altered it somehow to pass on to humans. You know the saying "Don't mess with mother nature"? This is why.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=azZOjY_e1.6Y
Quote:
Lab tests have confirmed H1N1 in 2,185 deaths and more than 209,000 infections (throughout the world), though most infected patients aren’t tested, according to the Geneva- based World Health Organization.

The virus has infected as many as 1 million New Yorkers, or about 12 percent of the city’s population, Thomas Farley, the city’s health commissioner, said in a news conference today.
This is todays news. 1 Million NY'ers. OK.. I million sick. How many dead? And with the above news... 200,000 infected, and only 2100 deaths, compared to how many of the regular flu?

This is not a pandemic by any stretch of the imagination. It's a farce. For more info, read http://www.bloggersbase.com/articles...edle-part-one/ There are 5 parts. Links at bottom of page for the others. At least get more knowledge, and don't just take my word, or anyone else's word. Read up.

I have done some independent studies and referencing on the 9/11 and I am of the agreement that yes, it was an inside job. The moment of impact, you see, several floors below, streams of molten metal pouring out of the windows of the tower. That is not gonna happen with a plane crash. And what about the passenger lists? "In fact, the U.S. Government withheld the actual passenger lists for years. An earlier version of Jim Hoffman’s page on the passenger lists reported correctly that there was previously “no public evidence… Researchers who have attempted to obtain this information from the airlines have been rebuffed" -- http://www.911truth.org/article.php?...80902022700895

So yeah, There is way more going on behind the scenes that you really want to think is happening. It's much safer to turn your head, close your eyes and pretend the "media" is telling you the truth, when in reality, it's just the opposite.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'll be getting the shot as soon as I can. I've already had a heart attack, so I'm one of those "persons(sic) at risk". I figure that my various medical advisors know more about it than I do.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't normally get flu vaccines but I'll probably be working in a free clinic by then and will need the vaccination.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

I have never had any vaccination, apart from the kind I received as a child. That was back in the early-mid 70s. Since then, never had one. Not a flu shot, nor any other vaccination. I've rarely been sick.

Even with 2 heart conditions, I still will refuse the vaccine. Especially one that has yet to be proven, and one in which the media is up in arms over. One side decrying it, one side lauding it. I read up on it and made a decision for myself.

I apologize if I came across as though I was telling you not to take it.. My main effort was to simply enlighten you, give you links for you to read yourself, open your eyes to what is actually out there. In the end, it's really up to you, and how you feel about it.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Once I started taking the flu shots I started accumulating sick days. Before then I used all of them and often had to dip into the vacation account to avoid LWOP. Sure I'll take them. The stories of the last swine flu and the problems was in 1975. They have advanced a great deal in the last 34 years.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Cross-species illnesses are not supposed to happen. A sickness that affects a cat, like Feline Leukemia is not supposed to harm dogs, birds, pigs or humans. Why, then, are we suddenly having Bird Flu, and Swine Flu. Diseases that are species-specific are now affecting those outside of their species? Does that seem natural? No. In my mind, someone, possibly a scientist or someone decided to mess around with the strains, mutate them somehow, and see what they could do to better understand it. In so doing, they altered it somehow to pass on to humans. You know the saying "Don't mess with mother nature"? This is why.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=azZOjY_e1.6Y

This is todays news. 1 Million NY'ers. OK.. I million sick. How many dead? And with the above news... 200,000 infected, and only 2100 deaths, compared to how many of the regular flu?

This is not a pandemic by any stretch of the imagination. It's a farce. For more info, read http://www.bloggersbase.com/articles...edle-part-one/ There are 5 parts. Links at bottom of page for the others. At least get more knowledge, and don't just take my word, or anyone else's word. Read up.

I have done some independent studies and referencing on the 9/11 and I am of the agreement that yes, it was an inside job. The moment of impact, you see, several floors below, streams of molten metal pouring out of the windows of the tower. That is not gonna happen with a plane crash. And what about the passenger lists? "In fact, the U.S. Government withheld the actual passenger lists for years. An earlier version of Jim Hoffman’s page on the passenger lists reported correctly that there was previously “no public evidence… Researchers who have attempted to obtain this information from the airlines have been rebuffed" -- http://www.911truth.org/article.php?...80902022700895

So yeah, There is way more going on behind the scenes that you really want to think is happening. It's much safer to turn your head, close your eyes and pretend the "media" is telling you the truth, when in reality, it's just the opposite.
So this report is also a government cover up?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...h/4278874.html