Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Which Will Win Out, Sony Reader or Kindle?

As a person who has a stake in this (I have a Sony PRS 505), I'm curious to hear people's opinions about which of the top two readers is the more likely to eventually capture/dominate the market. Will Amazon's "bookstore status" give it the upper hand? Will Sony win people over with its simplicity/elegance?

Also, which company do you think is more committed to its product?

Last edited by dsuden; 07-31-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: fix title
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm sorry but this question is pretty useless, everyone will just pitch the reader he likes best...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Why must it be a competition? Competition is great in that it would make all ereader manufacturers develop better machines. Other than that, it's great that there's something for everyone's needs (well, almost everyone). Variety is good.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm sorry but this question is pretty useless, everyone will just pitch the reader he likes best...
I disagree. I like the Kindle, but with the 505's new support for epub and DRMed PDFs I think it will win.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I disagree. I like the Kindle, but with the 505's new support for epub and DRMed PDFs I think it will win.
That would be "assuming" that the Kindle will *never* support ePub or fully develop it's pdf rendering capabilities.

Again competition is good for making manufacturers step up their game.
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The updates to the Sony are nice, but that's just software. There's no reason the Kindle can't match those features with something similar. Personally, I think that Amazon is in it to win over the long haul, but that both readers will be around for a while.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is interesting that Sony has broken with the single-store model for e-book readers, since now anyone can sell Adobe ebooks for the PRS-505. Amazon could do this at any time, by allowing Secure MOBI ebooks on the Kindle, but I don't expect them to do so.

A related question is: Can Adobe DE compete with Mobipocket/Amazon for dedicated ebook reader market share?

Secure Adobe ePub is better than Secure MOBI/AZW for technical ebooks, and Secure Adobe actually is secure (which could be a positive or a negative).

I think Adobe DE can be a significant competitor, but only if Adobe makes it available on OEM devices (e.g. the Netronix line).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Amazon - content is what matters in the end and they can do deals that will leave the rest gasping.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Secure Adobe ePub is better than Secure MOBI/AZW for technical ebooks, and Secure Adobe actually is secure (which could be a positive or a negative).
What make ePub better for technical ebooks?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Amazon has avoided supporting PDF at all so far (except for conversion when you send it in). The easiest way for them to compete would be to allow the Kindle to support DRM MobiPocket (while still keeping their AZW separate if they wish). They should allow the PC MobiPocket to manage files for the Kindle and permit it to read AZW files. This would allow easy conversion of ePUB and PDF files for the user and increase their offering and perceived openness a little. Without these changes they are increasingly limiting the offering for the user which can only help Sony.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

With textbook publishers moving to the Kindle, I have a feeling much better pdf and image support is coming for the Kindle.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That would be "assuming" that the Kindle will *never* support ePub or fully develop it's pdf rendering capabilities.

Again competition is good for making manufacturers step up their game.
I do not think the Kindle will support Epub or PDF directly.

The Kindle has inherited the Mobipocket software model. Mobipocket supports conversion from other formats on a PC, not reading the other formats on a portable device.

Plus, which reader is about to become available in Europe?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
What make ePub better for technical ebooks?
See First O'Reilly titles now available as e-book bundles. O'Reilly TOC discusses why only some of their ebooks are available for the Kindle.

Some advantages of ePub:
  1. embedded fonts (MOBI has no monospaced font)
  2. SVG graphics (e.g. for equations)
  3. text flows around images
  4. nested TOC
  5. tables (I think, but I have not seen an example)
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I do not think the Kindle will support Epub or PDF directly.

The Kindle has inherited the Mobipocket software model. Mobipocket supports conversion from other formats on a PC, not reading the other formats on a portable device.

Plus, which reader is about to become available in Europe?
I can't really guess when or how ePub will be supported. Could be available in Kindle 2.0 or if it takes a while for ePub to really take off it might be Kindle 10.0.

It's great that the 505 will officially be available in Europe but from what I gather, it hasn't been that difficult to get for anyone who wants one. Plus there are many other eReaders available in Europe already so it's not a given that the Sony with be *the* one.

I think only the more sophisticated readers of ebooks (as in more knowledgeable, like the folks who hang out here) care about all these formats. Most people just want to turn the machine on and read.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
roa71@yahoo.com
roa71@yahoo.com began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
next version

i think the next version of each will play a major factor. Sony needs to add wireless capabilities and Amazon needs to improve the look and feel of the device.

i purchased the Kindle for the Amazon selection and wireless capability. though, i still prefer the hardware of the Sony.

rick..
roa71@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!