Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #766
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewisdom View Post
Sony loves playing jokes to customers with that unbelievable high price. How could an simple Ereader deserve that much with a plastic and metals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It is not an e-Reader, it is a document management tool.
Readers aren't their target.
[sarcasm] Besides, how does Samsung dare have a unbelieveably high suggested price of $850 for the 12.2" Note Pro? It is just a tablet with little bit bigger screen, a stylus, with plastic and metal ... [/sarcasm]

That is something closer to what Sony is competing against.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 08-31-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Sarcasm tags added just incase
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #767
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Prices don't scale linearly with diagonal dimension, not even with area, due to manufacturing challenges, I would suggest?
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #768
lovewisdom
Enthusiast
lovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Touch, Sony DPTS1
If manufacturing issue, why another big sink producer Pocketbook will have its own 13 eReader for only half price, around $570? I see many buyers complain this Sony DPT S1 manufacturing quality is very poor and harsh, not that polished and solid.

Sony's pricing is only about greed. It wants to sell a Tofu as a gold, to suck people as they will.
lovewisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #769
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I can tell, the Pocketbook 13" unit is not yet available so it's not really a valid or fair comparison? When it comes out, and if it comes out, then maybe the Sony's price will come down, I guess.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #770
lovewisdom
Enthusiast
lovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Touch, Sony DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
As far as I can tell, the Pocketbook 13" unit is not yet available so it's not really a valid or fair comparison? When it comes out, and if it comes out, then maybe the Sony's price will come down, I guess.

I hope Sony's price will be down to reality. Even though Pocketbook CAD is not on sale right now, it will be out for market in Early 2015. And also its price already showed up, only around $570, not that like Sony labels its product as jokey price.

You can track Sony products. All are much overpriced when they come out, but then forced to reduce price by half because of other producers' out on sale.
lovewisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #771
ballfresno
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewisdom View Post
I hope Sony's price will be down to reality. Even though Pocketbook CAD is not on sale right now, it will be out for market in Early 2015. And also its price already showed up, only around $570, not that like Sony labels its product as jokey price.

You can track Sony products. All are much overpriced when they come out, but then forced to reduce price by half because of other producers' out on sale.
But if you want this product now, you pay the price. If you wish to wait, then by all means do so. overpriced is a subjective term and will mean something different to you than it does to me. If and when Sony start selling this unit in the UK, there's a good chance I will stump up for it. And it would be worth the money for my use case. Of course I would prefer it to be less expensive but I may not necessarily consider it overpriced.

Regarding Pocketbook, there are so many cases of vapourware in the history of computing devices that one learns to take delivery promises with more than just a grain of salt.

In any case, nobody is suggesting you go out and buy one. Whether I buy one or not depends on my circumstances and they differ from yours.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #772
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Sony has lowered its price with $100. Still to expensive, but three digits instead of four is probably a psychological incentive for some potential buyers.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:18 AM   #773
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Has anyone heard anything about jailbreaking the device?

Also, I'm trying to get at least one unit through my company and was wondering whether you could recommend a reseller in Germany.

Last edited by ManDay; 10-11-2014 at 05:43 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #774
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Has anyone heard anything about jailbreaking the device?
Most certainly interested in this - still wanting to reappropriate this device as a typewriting/word-processing screen.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #775
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
I bought one, sadly it doesn't have a dictionary
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #776
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
I bought one, sadly it doesn't have a dictionary
Since there is multitasking you can try some dictionary in pdf form, opened simultaneously, preferably bookmarked or indexed for quicker searching or browsing.

Last edited by markom; 10-12-2014 at 10:26 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #777
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Since there is multitasking you can try some dictionary in pdf form, opened simultaneously, preferably bookmarked or indexed for quicker searching or browsing.
I'll try this, thanks markom
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #778
kaiser s
kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony DPT-S1
Has anybody found a suitable cover for the device? The sides of the device can attract scratches if merely using the sleeve as protection. Mine already has several What sucks is that underneath the black coating is light-colored material so scratches can be noticeable.
kaiser s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #779
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Sony model is twice the price with a fraction of the functionality, and it cannot be slaved to a laptop or other device, so it's useless as a general screen. Sony are idiots.
Twice the price of what? Of a hypothetical Pocketbook CAD reader with absolutely no confirmed existence or functionality?

Seriously, we may talk again once there actually *is* a competitor to the DPT-S1 and not just vaporware. For what it's worth, no one has even confirmed that the DPT-S1 can't be jailbroken to be used as a monitor. Let alone that whatever Pocketbook is eventually going to release will likely not be working as a general screen out of the box, either.

PS: From the videos I've seen about the DPT-S1 -- and in contrast to my original opinion before the device was released and shown -- I find the firmware extremly capable and would dub it the best designed firmware (apart from customization options, which I frankly don't know anything about) ever. No other reader has convinced me as much of its UI as the DPT-S1, Workspaces, in-flow handwritten notes...
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #780
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Netronix shows REAL working android 13.3" flexible E Ink with capacitive touch and digitizer: http://youtu.be/b-SnpwAsIYc
Exciting.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote