Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Machen, Arthur: The Hill of Dreams. v1. 13 May 07

The Hill of Dreams is one of my favorites. This is indeed an "interior tale of the soul."

Here are some comments from various sources on the web:

"Published in 1907, during one of his major spurts of creativity, The Hill of Dreams is an adventure in the senses -- a celebration of feeling and instinct, of dreaming wide awake in a world opposed to anything outside the daily grind and banal mechanics of cold logic -- itself little more than an illusion shared by the majority. An intense, passionate read, the novel hides within its strangely simplistic seeming 'plot' a deeper story -- and a subtext -- of universal significance."

More:
"Preeminent among these slightly later works is the novel The Hill of Dreams (1907), which charts the gradual possession of a young artist by a kind of pagan faun-creature who lives within him, rather as Stevenson's Hyde lives within Jekyll. This novel, often considered Machen's finest work, evokes a dark, hallucinatory London, as powerfully realized in a different mode as that inhabited by Sherlock Holmes."

And more:
"Could one describe hills and valleys, woods and rivers, sunrise and sunset, buried temples and mouldering Roman walls so that a story could be suggested to the reader? Not, of course, a story of material incidents, not a story with a plot in the ordinary sense of the term, but an interior tale of the soul and its emotions; could such a tale be suggested in the way I have indicated?'

However, the book had already been written. The Hill of Dreams had been published in 1907, and has been lauded by writers as diverse as H.P. Lovecraft and Henry Miller."

Hope you enjoy it.

Please: If you find errors that should be corrected, let me know and I'll do my best to fix them.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Hill of Dreams.lrf (213.0 KB, 1240 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Haven't read that one yet but I really enjoyed reading "The Great God Pan" from the same author !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Hey thats amazing! I originally had downloaded hill of dreams from manybooks as an irf file. I just downlaoaded the connect software so I could look at a few of the books I've done. (I created a trilogy from Barb Purdom's Harry Potter fanfic that turned out well...) I looked at the Manybooks version, then yours. WOW! You guys are making them way nicer.

Great JOB!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White
I looked at the Manybooks version, then yours. WOW! You guys are making them way nicer.

Great JOB!
That's why we do them, Roy. You can do a MUCH nicer job of formatting by hand than the best of machine formatting can do, because you can cater it to the requirements of the specific book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
...And diffeent hands and different personalities produce "different" looking books from the same text.

(Thank you for the compliment, Roy.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert