Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
updated by the firmware of prs900

what will happen?
i appreciate the function of cutting the margin of books
i use PRS600,but screen size is so little that many books must be dealt to read comfortably
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifish View Post
what will happen?
i appreciate the function of cutting the margin of books
i use PRS600,but screen size is so little that many books must be dealt to read comfortably
I'm not sure whether I get your question.
You intend to port Sony 900's firmware onto Sony 600?
Or do you expect Sony, to port most of Sony 900's features onto Sony 600?

Either way, there are tons of issues:
- Sony 900 can't process .lrx anymore. I've bought about 300 of those, so I need at least one Sony reader being capable of .lrx.
- Sony 900 is larger. It's homescreen is really great, but it wouldn't fit onto the smaller Sony 600.
- Sony 900 has less glare and better contrast. I have no idea, how they did it. And I have no idea, why Sony 600, which is only about 3 months older, doesn't have it. It may be purely hardware driven, it may be fonts or rendering as well.
Whatever it may be: Sony obviously deliberately made the decision, to solely implement this into Sony 900. Obviously Sony 900 is their fully featured flagship.

I wouldn't expect too much. I guess, Sony intends to separate Sony 900 and 600 into different target groups, thus sticking to the differences.
It seems similar with iRex 800 and iRex 1000. And even within the iRex 800 family (US version vs. European version).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm not sure whether I get your question.
You intend to port Sony 900's firmware onto Sony 600?
just my meaning
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
- Sony 900 has less glare and better contrast. I have no idea, how they did it. And I have no idea, why Sony 600, which is only about 3 months older, doesn't have it. It may be purely hardware driven, it may be fonts or rendering as well.
The 16-grey screen helps with readability of the fonts (better anti-aliasing), and if there is a physical difference with the screen, I'd say it has something to do with a slightly different coating over the touch screen.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote