Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
If you ask me Irex is acting like a company that either wants to be bought out and/or is currently in the middle of a deal to get bought out and that they've delayed this product launch because the product will be rebranded.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #47
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I received an e-mail from Irex today that stated that the DR800SG would be released mid January.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #48
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Yeah I got the same email.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us.

The release of the DR800SG has been slightly delayed and will be
available mid Januari and can be bought at Best Buy USA.

Not all Best Buy stores are informed, so it might happen that when you
contact them they are not aware of the DR800SG, their head office will
soon inform all stores.

I hope this information is sufficient, if there are any questions don't
hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
iRex Technologies
And I noticed that they can't spell January.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #49
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
hmmm something is going on with this product. I think I will defer my usual 'early adopter' status and wait to read some reviews before I decide.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #50
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I like their reference to "slightly delayed". In consumer electronics a two and a half month delay might be considered more than "slight". At least their record of never getting anything out on it's committed date is still in place! Well, at least this will give me an opportunity to check out the Sony 900 before making a decision.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #51
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
And I noticed that they can't spell January.
Januari is Dutch spelling ...
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #52
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
They might as well close the doors now. They've missed the window and now they are right up against the Que Reader release and possibly Apple tablet.

They are done.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #53
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
They might as well close the doors now. They've missed the window and now they are right up against the Que Reader release and possibly Apple tablet.

They are done.
Kind of reminds me of the articles I read about "the end of the internet" back in the 1990s.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Products often slip, especially from small companies. What would you prefer - that they released an unfinished product to meet some artificial deadline, or that they waited until it's ready?

Chill out - it's no big deal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #55
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
HarryT, I have no problem with them releasing it when it's ready. That's a GOOD thing. My concern is that they've announced and missed two release dates already.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It probably means no more than that they hit last-minute snags which weren't anticipated - perhaps beta testers found some nasty bug that's proving troublesome to fix. With the best will in the world, these things do happen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #57
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I agree with Harry that I want them to put out a quality product even if that means delays, but I would feel more comfortable if they would give some idea of why they are delaying the release.

We don't really know if they are fixing problems or if there is another problem unrelated to the actual product. I'm not going to speculate on what that issue might be, because I have no inside information and I don't want to start any wild rumors.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #58
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It would be nice though if they'd release the adobe epub update for the DR1000. As far as I can tell the 800 is epub and it's built on similar hardware/software.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #59
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
HarryT, I have no problem with them releasing it when it's ready. That's a GOOD thing. My concern is that they've announced and missed two release dates already.
Keep in mind that the Nook is sold out and they aren't able to produce new ones fast enough, shipments for the Sony Reader are being delayed, and the Txtr has limited availability.

They may all be related. IE, a backlog on eInk manufacturing from PVI would explain all of the above delays, including the DR800.

The only thing that really bothers me about the iRex delay is that they're not sharing more information with us as to why, but I don't think the others really are either.

Last edited by Shaggy; 12-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #60
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
It would be nice though if they'd release the adobe epub update for the DR1000. As far as I can tell the 800 is epub and it's built on similar hardware/software.
Yes, but they've said that they don't have annotation for the DR800 yet (which is related to the ePub/Adobe replacement). I assume they're going to wait until the annotation part is done before offering an update for the DR1000.

Would you really want them to do the Mobipocket/poppler -> ePub/Adobe switch now if it meant you'd lose annotations on the DR1000?