Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
missi1197
missi1197 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD 32g & Kindle Fire HDX 64g
Calibre and Kindle Fire HDX

Has anyone had any trouble transferring books?? I've transferred about 80% of my books on my new Kindle but none of them are showing up. When it's connected to Calibre it shows there on there but not 1 single book out of about 4,000 is on it. I've tried doing a hard reboot and still nothing!!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
missi1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert your books to azw3 and send those. Also make sure that files are being sent to the location that whatever software you use on the Kindle expects. You can change the location by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting configure this device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
missi1197
missi1197 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD 32g & Kindle Fire HDX 64g
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert your books to azw3.
Thank you so much!!
missi1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
pdk46
pdk46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
Transfer books from Calibre to Kindle Fire HDX

When my new Kindle Fire HDX is plugged into my iMac and I'm on Calibre no "Device" icon on Calibre shows up. Therefore, I cannot transfer my books on Calibre to my Kindle.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.
pdk46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk46 View Post
When my new Kindle Fire HDX is plugged into my iMac and I'm on Calibre no "Device" icon on Calibre shows up. Therefore, I cannot transfer my books on Calibre to my Kindle.
Thanks.
Yes (You have a MAC )

The fire probably uses the MTP protocol which MAC's and XP doe not support (properly, if at all).

You still have options:
Use the Browser to access the Calibre Content server via WiFi (must be started on the host)
e-mail books (will be most likely show personal Docs) to your K
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
pdk46

When I plug in my Kindle eReader and my older Kindle Fire everything works fine. I have no problem transferring books from Calibre to my devices.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
When I plug in my Kindle eReader and my older Kindle Fire everything works fine. I have no problem transferring books from Calibre to my devices.
That is because they don't use MTP like your new Fire HDX. MTP is not supported on MACs. Check out this section of the FAQ (which includes the Using a USB cable and the Over the air sub-sections).

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-01-2014 at 03:10 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
pdk46

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Thanks.
I had this problem with my Windows XP computer. Solved it with a 99 cent app called (I think) Doubloo, something like that. Provides an url that I can access through my web browser. This shows me the folders on my Fire HD and enables me to browse my computer folders and download any file therefrom. I use it all the time to check my book in progress. -- NJ
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Loama
Loama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
Kindle Fire HD7

in the post by Kovidgoyal he mentioned to right click on the device icon and configure the device. I cannot find the "Device icon" in Calibre. How do I get that icon?
Loama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loama View Post
in the post by Kovidgoyal he mentioned to right click on the device icon and configure the device. I cannot find the "Device icon" in Calibre. How do I get that icon?
attach the device and wait for it to be 'discovered'
Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
What OS are you using?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Loama
Loama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
I have Windows 8.1. I purchased Calibre Companion yesterday. I tried all sorts of combinations with ip's and ports to get connected still no connections. I did send a debug email last night. I have updated Calibre two days ago. I just got notification it is vs. 1.2 now. I will update now.
Loama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I have Windows 8.1. I purchased Calibre Companion yesterday. I tried all sorts of combinations with ip's and ports to get connected still no connections. I did send a debug email last night. I have updated Calibre two days ago. I just got notification it is vs. 1.2 now. I will update now.
Obvious (to me) questions:

Are both devices using/on the SAME (sub) network?
Did you configure any firewall to allow Calibre:

Did you configure and START the content Server or Wireless connection (you choose) in Calibre (don't use the same port for both)

(Isolating CC settings issue from Calibre settings issue)
Can the Browser on the Fire see the Content server (IP of calibre:8080)
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The vast majority of CC connection problems are caused by network security SW (antivirus, firewall, security suite, etc) on the machine running calibre, especially on Windows. A few problems are caused by home WiFi hubs that refuse to allow computers on the LAN to talk to each other.

The easiest diagnostic is to boot the computer running calibre in "Safe mode with networking " (see your computer's documentation for how to do that). Start calibre. Then in CC's settings, set the wireless connection settings to "Default" so that CC shows "Automatic" in settings. Now attempt to connect. If CC connects then we know with 100% certainty that the problem is security SW on the calibre machine and you will need to identify what that software is. If CC doesn't connect then we need to look for other reasons, including aggressive security settings on the router.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote